Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need help, my creature won't appear in game. (SOLVED)  (Read 1313 times)

Damaster-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help, my creature won't appear in game. (SOLVED)
« on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:21 am »

So, this is my first effort to mod DF, the problem is that when I have done the creature (ghoul), it won't appear in generated worlds. The creature might look a little unbalanced and weird etc. but I am just testing..
Creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you in advance for helping!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:23:14 am by Damaster- »
Dwarf-Fortress newbie

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Need help, my creature won't appear in game.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:25 am »

Try lowering the layering, which acts sort of like having thicker fur, it allows you to survive colder temperatures, but it cuts down on your ability to survive hotter temperatures.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Damaster-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:07:44 am »

Tried to lower it to 50 now, still nothing...
Dwarf-Fortress newbie

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:31:01 am »

The wiki says that layering being high can cause creatures to not spawn, but it doesn't say HOW high.

I'm looking at your population numbers. Given that three clusters can easily comprise your entire ghoul population, maybe the game is spawning them in only a couple areas which you haven't found? Have you tried turning on tracking every creature in worldgen and looking for them there?

Damaster-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:34:17 am »

I checked the world gen logs but there's no mark of ghouls. I don't know to how turn on the tracking?
Dwarf-Fortress newbie

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:50:36 am »

Try removing your biome token, I dont think ALL_MAIN is an applicable tag for creatures.  [BIOME:ANY_LAND] might work (I've seen it on the Hydra entry in the raws), or possibly you could get away with no biome token at all. 
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:52:48 am »

Yeah, ALL_MAIN doesn't work for creatures, for whatever reason, so your creature can't spawn cause it doesn't have any valid biomes.

Damaster-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:08 am »

Tried removing all biome-entries, and changing ALL_MAIN to ANY_LAND...still nothing.

EDIT: I am using Linux and Wine to play this. Any chance that it doesn't work because using gedit to modify the file? Maybe it saves the file in some weird format that doesn't work...though, I really doubt that because it's still txt-file but..

EDIT: Confirmed that it's not a format issue, asked friend to open it in Windows Notepad and save (to rule over possible weird format), still not working.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:54:05 am by Damaster- »
Dwarf-Fortress newbie

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:50:29 pm »

It's not a Linux problem, that much I can say. If it was, then init.txt wouldn't work when modified  ;) but other than that, sorry can't help. And it's not the layering, horse have same number in vanilla. And they're plentiful in my fortress.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »

Two things

You're missing [NATURAL] tag. This makes them appear naturally.

You can't have them be [INTELLIGENT] without having a civ entity_default entry. Lose [INTELLIGENT] and use [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] instead if you want those.

[ANY_LAND] IS the correct tag, but you're better off specifying. Use [ANY_GRASSLAND] and [ANY_FOREST] etc.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:30:27 pm »

[ANY_LAND] is fine. I use it on a lot of creatures and they consistently tear my dwarves' flaming limbs off without complaining about overgeneralized biome tokens.

Also, I don't think [NATURAL] works that way. Foul blendecs don't have it, for example, yet they spawn in normal locations. I think it refers to real-life creatures (or something like that). Not sure what use it has in the game, if any (might have something to do with elves and other civs at "peace with nature").
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:31:58 pm »

NATURAL means that the creature is an "animal" (elves are it's friends).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:14 am »

You don't need to have a entity just because you are [INTELLIGENT], I currently have the dragons in my game modded to be intelligent and have encountered no problems, this is because the tag implied is [CAN_CIV], can, not must.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:18 am »

You generate a new world after the changes?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Damaster-

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:22:29 am »

Weird! I removed [INTELLIGENT] and replaced it with [CAN_LEARN] & [CAN_SPEAK], and they work now! Thank you everybody for solving this out! I got correct answer for the problem and a lot of tips. :D
Dwarf-Fortress newbie
Pages: [1] 2