Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 416858 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Blockedlance - The Next Generation
« Reply #1725 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:33 pm »

If the northern winds carry a friend, then it could mean that you will find aid in the form of a Giant eagle or Dragon, or possibly an engraving of a dragon/eagle. It could also refer to power produced by windmills as being good or friendly, maybe go north until you find a fork, and take the path that has an engraving of a dragon/eagle... But then what does carry have to do with it?
Maybe it has to do with which tiles have traps, and a two-wide corridor has traps all along one side. The side with the engraving of a flying creature is the safe one, that will "carry" you to your goal... but that doesn't address wind... or maybe an engraving of wind, or something wind-related.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1726 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »

I used Dwarf Companion to make Urist miserable over and over again in the hopes that she would carve som morbid shit on the walls rather than her normal same old same old.  Well...It didnt really work as well as Id hoped.  There was this however...

I forget how he died.  I think the flooding of the peasant quarters.  I think in the flood this guy was killed by some berserk dwarf.

There was also this....

Ingish Tombfights makes an appearance hacking away at an elf.  Ingish was recently possessed by Grigrak, then fed to the Beast of Microcline if you recall.  It's good he makes an appearance on our fortress walls.

I'm gonna train Khamero up as an Engraver.  Half his family died in the temple.  Some as babies.  So I bet that guy would carve some crazy shit that will do Armok justice.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1727 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:47 pm »

A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!!!

While digging out the rock from the second floor of the Dwarven Valhalla Cave, Fil fell one entire heisenberg unit....the height of a dragon, of a Titan or Colossus even....and was stunned. 

He made a full recovery quickly.

Then another section of the fortress collapsed and fell five z-levels into the earth, opening a shaft into the catacombs and smashing up some unknown dwarves coffin. His coffin is gone but hes already considered buried by the game, now his bones will stay there forever.  Ah well.  I like the idea of unknown forgotten dwarven bones lying around the catacombs.  Ads to the feel of the place.

What could I have been building that could have accidentally collapsed five z-levels into my fortress?

I'm not telling.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1728 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

Aaaaa, MrGimp! I don't like secrets, they turn around and backhand you later.
With spiked gloves.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #1729 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

My interpretation of the poem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:13:34 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »

Don't you love having your puzzles all figured out for you?

I think in future, it would be better to place clues in Notes within the save file. That way we get to figure them out ourselves as we look at the actual thing we are exploring.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1731 on: March 25, 2010, 09:25:44 am »

Well some people want me to tell more, others want me to tell less.  I cant make everyone happy.

There will be more dwarven adventurer poetry to come.  So dont worry.  These two verses were just to test the water and see if Dwarvish could even work for this (it barely does....too few words).  All I did was reveal a part of the poem which deals with the entrance, which I already spelled out even before I put the poem up.  The entrance wasnt the real hidden message in that poem, but you wont know what it is until you get inside the fortress.  This fortress is designed such that even with the poem in hand, you will likely die several times.

But I hear ya.  You dont want hints.  From now on, youre on your own!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:26:18 pm by MrGimp »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #1732 on: March 25, 2010, 02:12:54 pm »

Hehe...I Personally think there are enough clues for this segment of the poem.
Well, that's what makes DF fun, losing in skull pyramids.

Oh, I guess I should have put that in spoilers eh >.<
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:18:22 pm by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 25, 2010, 06:32:35 pm »

I want hints. If others don't, you can put them in spoilers.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1734 on: March 25, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »

I think dwarvish should have more words for alcohol and drunken states.  Like Eskimos have many words for snow to describe its many nuances, dwarvish should have more rock and beer related words.

We have the word 'drunk' to identify someone who has been drinking.  We do at least have the word 'buzzed' to mean someone who is only slightly drunk.  But Dwarves would have words for someone who was kinda-drunk, pretty-drunk, really-drunk, and falling-down-drunk.  And maybe a separate word for someone who was drunk and puking. 

Then of course there should be words to describe angry-drunks, happy-drunks, crybaby-drunks, and psycho-killer Charles Manson drunks.

How come there isnt a dwarvish word for rot-gut?  Or hangover? 

Or maybe they have those words but they describe what happens to them when they DONT drink.  They should have a word for soberovers.

"Boss, I wont be coming to work today.  I'm too sobered-over."

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 25, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

Dwarves should have an entire branch of mathematics applied to determining, quantifying, and expressing how drunk they are.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1736 on: March 25, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »

Spring 255

Urist turned 101 years old this year, her birthday being the first of granite.  God was she old.  She saw the new generation of Armok worshiping teenagers with their cobaltite earings and sagging rope reed pants.  Some of them had even gotten dimple-dye tattoos!  It was disgusting!  In her day kids never did such things!!!

Oh well.  Her day was long gone now.  Now it was on to new and better things.  She sat in her alcove behind the waterfall.  The Duke was with her, playing with a silk sock.  Urist stared at him with contempt.  Why was he not releasing his spores? 

If she slept with anyone outside the Ducal family, surely Airag or his brothers would attack instantly, knowing their chance at power would soon be lost.  Who else could she marry anyways?  The Duke was the only noble worthy enough.  Most of the other men in the fortress were far too young for the Queen....or were they?

Urist wondered a moment.

Airag was of age.  And quite handsome.  Is an 88 year age difference really a barrier to love?

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 25, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »

Dwarves should have an entire branch of mathematics applied to determining, quantifying, and expressing how drunk they are.
I wanna be one of the test subjects!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:32 pm »

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #1739 on: March 25, 2010, 08:47:50 pm »

I wanna be one of the test subjects!

lol

BTW - Johann Schmidt is officially in.  You'll be coming of age in about 11 years.  Probably just in time to die.  lol

I'm *hoping* to keep the story going till at least 274.  But Urist wont die of natural causes until 304-324.  So odds are she dies of unnatural causes.   :D

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 164