Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I Make Artifacts IRL.  (Read 7464 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: I Make Artifacts IRL.
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:33 pm »

My god! Some of these are so incredibly impressive. Your use of materials to portray these characters in your own view really helps us understand your reasoning for making these works, why it almost gives us a view into your heart and soul. ;_;

Though some aspects of the materials seem crude, they are great pieces of work and if I had money I would pay for some of those.

You breath life into these useless pieces of junk, keep it up.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »

I felt like more selfwhoring.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that's a gem, judging by the color, it's not a low-grade one.

You might want to test it on the side of a steel blade, to see if it'll scratch the blade. If it won't, it's glass, or some kind of faux.

If it does, you might want to take it to a reputable jeweller and get it tested out.

Brilliant work, by the way. You've got a lot of talent (please listen to your ego and post more).
For they would be your masters.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 07:11:10 pm »

Damn, these are awesome. This thread is making me want to try and carve a small boulder into a moai statue more and more.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:52:59 pm »

Damn, these are awesome. This thread is making me want to try and carve a small boulder into a moai statue more and more.

And it's making me want to *watch* you try, from a safe distance, while drinking beer.

As far as the bird cage sculpture goes, it gives me an idea for a bunch of sculptures of skeletal dinosaurs, carved out of like cow bones and chicken bones.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:13:14 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »

I get this feeling, like I suddenly need wood, pig iron, bones, and thread, then kick some carpenter out of his office....

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:33 pm »

I've always wanted to see a rose made using barbed wire for the stem and razors (the flexible metal tape kind, not the shattery pot metal kind) for the petals.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:55 pm »

I felt like more selfwhoring.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If that's a gem, judging by the color, it's not a low-grade one.

You might want to test it on the side of a steel blade, to see if it'll scratch the blade. If it won't, it's glass, or some kind of faux.

If it does, you might want to take it to a reputable jeweller and get it tested out.

Brilliant work, by the way. You've got a lot of talent (please listen to your ego and post more).

Sadly, that would require removing it from the setting, a risk I'm too much of a pansy to take.

And it's making me want to *watch* you try, from a safe distance, while drinking beer.

As far as the bird cage sculpture goes, it gives me an idea for a bunch of sculptures of skeletal dinosaurs, carved out of like cow bones and chicken bones.

This is harder than you make it sound. Once you get past a certain thickness, all bones have marrow on the inside - trying to pare down any given bone too far will expose it, leaving you with a thick, hard mesh that is far from the pleasant smooth exterior of "regular" bone.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:34 am »

You're right about the bones, they can be a pain to try to work with, in larger scale, and that was kind of the point--to use modern bones to replicate the bones of prehistoric creatures.

So exchanging out for another medium wouldn't really have the same impact.

Oh well.

There's no way to just rub the stone gently with the side of a small steel washer, for instance?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:49 am »

You know what I've always wanted to do? Kill a giant and wear it's skull as a helmet. One that would cover my head and my face. I could even see out of the eye sockets. With that skull helmet, I could be like some sort of super villain or something. It'd be great.

But I'll never find a giant with a skull that large, because giants don't exist. Even if they did, I'd have to either murder one or desecrate one's grave for the skull. :(

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:44 am »

Well, I won't say that you're wrong, but there is atleast some historical indication that giants aren't entirely outside of the realm of existence--although please keep in mind that this is "urban legend" material, not necessarily of any substance, and that I'm not promoting it as fact, in any way.

It's just an interesting subject, with a body of supporting evidence, and a history:

http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/N.Am/N.Am.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/ape2.htm

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sign of evil in this godforsaken hole
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 01:11:00 am »

Giants, no.  However, a cow pelvis makes a badassed evil-looking mask, and they're not terribly hard to come by.  They look like the skull of some horror that crawled out of hidden fun stuff.

For some reason they don't even need any work to make into a mask.  A cow pelvis fits on a normal-sized human head by default without significant alteration.  Maybe you'd want to glue some fangs on the bottom.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 01:19:48 am »

"fangs" = or polished deer antlers, maybe, for a really freaky look.
Pages: 1 2 [3]