Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Asclepios must be sober.  (Read 18663 times)

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Asclepios must be sober.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 02:36:46 am »

Film the battle. Draft everyone. It will be awesome.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:35 am »

You could also use a ton of traps and drawbridges to slash and smash your enemies.

But drafting your whole fortress and let them fight to death is much more awesome!
There are 145 gobbos. How many dwarves do you have?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:51:24 am by MC Dirty »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:53 am »

Likely not near enough.
 Unless he gets EVERY creature in his fortress fighting alongside the dwarves. Even then, it would require tactical use of choke-points and ranged units.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 07:14:17 am »

Likely not near enough.
 Unless he gets EVERY creature in his fortress fighting alongside the dwarves. Even then, it would require tactical use of choke-points and ranged units.

Or a couple of champions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 07:26:34 am »

In masterwork adamantine. I've only ever seen captain ironblood and his men charge that many and survive.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »

:o whoa...that's a lot..hows the food supplies? Any chance of closing the fort and waiting for them to starve? could wait for ajillion caravans to help a bit with their guards, not sure if that's possible.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »

The Problem has been dealt with.

The burial will go ahead just as soon as the aftermath of the battle is cleaned up.

Oh My Armok, this could take YEARS.

I won't go into the details, but I will say this much: I'm never going to need to mine for iron again.
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:20 pm »

The Problem has been dealt with.

The burial will go ahead just as soon as the aftermath of the battle is cleaned up.

Oh My Armok, this could take YEARS.

I won't go into the details...
Oh, please do. PLEASE!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:27 pm »

PLEASEEEEEE

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 03:42:46 pm »

PLEASE!!!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »

Il Palazzo has been unhappy lately. He was refused a detailed account of legendary battle. He was annoyed by angry dwarves screaming 'Please' repeatedly.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »

I won't go into the details,

... and risk a tantrum spiral on the forums? I don't think so!
Oooh, I feel the need to destroy workshops coming on..!
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 04:19:18 pm »

Oooh, I feel the need to destroy workshops coming on..!
Think I'll go jump down the front steps for 2 years until I kill myself.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »

Uh oh, a tantrum spiral is imminent,

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures during the battle, I know, I know, I'm sorry, but I was too busy desperately trying to keep my fortress from imploding, this is the first successful one I had for months.

Fortunately for me, I had a bunch of cage traps at the entrance to my base, to catch those fucking gnomes to shove into my gnome pit. UNfortunately, those were the only traps I had.

I had a bit of preparation time before the goblins found my entrance, so I had EVERYONE start building serrated iron disks, and tried to carpet the tunnel to the entrance with them. My 3 axedwarves in full steel, one with an artifact silver axe, ran out, and got dogpiled by wrestlers, who promptly disassembled my axedwarves. I then sent a kamikaze wrestler squad out to buy some time.

It worked until the marksgoblin group showed up. Everyone stormed the entrance, and wrecked up my mechanics who were laying traps. a few fell, but most of the group got through, and stormed my trade depot.

Which I promptly dropped into a 20 z-level pit.

Now THIS was working  pretty well. a bit ineffecient, but it worked. I rebuilt and dropped the depot a couple more times until the marksgoblins pincushioned the dwarf who was about to pull the lever to drop it again.

At this point, the goblins were getting across my depot area, and were just moments away from my tender civilians, when I sent another kamikaze wrestler squad to buy some time while my mechanics continued work on my last resort.

The last of the kamikaze dwarves died out, and the goblins finally stormed my last effort standing between my fortress and their sharp objects.

Suddenly, a lead floodgate slams shut in front of them. Another lead flood gate drops behind them.

And thats when the water began to flow.

I always knew the day would come when I needed to mass execute several goblins at once. I was planning on creating a large bridged area over dozens of weapon traps with 10 iron serrated disks in them, but just in case of emergency, I have a way to pump the room full of water, just in case.

Perhaps you guys remember 'Xihaou', the one eye'd badass from that thread asking about screw pump leveling? he's become "Extremely Tough" now, and for once, he was pumping for a real purpose.

After the subsequent drowning of their comrades, the goblin's morale broke, and the rest of them bailed, running through the jerry-rigged trap hallway, and losing a few more limbs.

another funny thing: a goblin spawned with no leg, fell unconscious the second he came onto the map, his whole troop didn't attack, they all waited for him to wake up. him and his men left the map when the siege broke though.

So there you go. nowhere near epic, and a pretty crappy story considering how awesome it COULD have been, with that many goblins, but if it'll keep the forum from tantrum spiralling, I'll tell it.

but if it makes the situation any better:

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 01:23:34 am »

Nah, that you managed to save everyone is pretty awesome!  I'm quite sure I'd never have survived it.  Out of curiosity, how many dwarves did you lose total, and how many are left?  I'd say those axedwarves and wrestlers deserve some nice tombs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5