Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763184 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 05:39:28 pm »

I've had a falling out with anime. I guess I could say this as an asian who grew up watching the stuff translated to Thai when I was a kid in Asia. I feel too old to be watching things that is rarely acceptable for anyone over 13 in Japan to be interested in.  ::)

Anime's gained cult following status here in the States now and I'm just bemused by that and all the yellow fever going on, like how Asian girls are idolized even though we have the same ugly to pretty girl ratio as America or anywhere else. Went to an Anime Con once and was scarred for life from 14 year old white girls throwing themselves at me (I was 19) and asking me to go back to their hotel rooms. Don't even get me started about "glomping" - after 3 days at a con where people don't shower, it's how STDs are transmitted.

So before I get piled on by weeaboos, let me just say that FLCL is my all time favourite, followed by Cat Soup. FLCL is just weird enough for me to enjoy and Cat Soup is cute kittens meets anime meets Salvador Dali on an Acid trip. It's intellectually fascinating and artistic.

Anime's just another type of animation, as Dasleah said it has it's good and bad - mainly bad. And at my age I just can't be arsed to sit through all the crap just because it's anime- except for Miyazaki films :)

I fucking grew up on My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:50 pm »

Kaaanneeedaaa! Haha yeah Akira was strange, but good. Other than that, the only anime I ever really liked was Outlaw Star.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:53 pm »

Fangirl: Asian-bishie? Desuglomp...>_<
Me: Eh...

Don't feel bad. Anime cons have their crazies anyways. I should know...made the mistake of going to AZ once as Spike...lots of 16-year-old girls kept asking to glomp or photo...man...

On another note, I always thought that this whole "yellow fever" thing is grossly exaggerated. Maybe its Family Guy, but the ideal of the ideal "hot asian chick...Me Big American Man" seems silly...maybe I'm too optimistic? Or maybe it's been too long since I've seen (insert here) Mrs. Saigon, Full Metal Jacket, Rush Hour (the second one in particular, the Heaven on Earth Massage Parlor)/Shanghai Noon (and Knights), Wayne's World 1 and 2...

That said...I forgot to mention SlayerS as another series I've enjoyed.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Death Note

Those are the two I really quite like. The first one is...Well, its a bit of a mindfuck, it takes place over several stories linked together. The more you see, the more sense it makes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:32:25 pm by Mad Larks »
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:05 pm »

I never bothered with anime except for a while in my youth (round 6) but my friend is fanatical about Naruto and almost hates me for not watching it. Is it my fault that I simply don't like programs where a persons head inflates in times of extreme emotion? Funny though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:21:39 pm by Jackrabbit »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:03 pm »

I was watching anime before it was "cool", when I was but a wee lad.
Speed Racer, all the old robot shows such as Steel Jegg(?) or Mazinger, etc, are for all intents and purposes, anime. Of course, they are continuity free, saturday morning cartoons. And of course Macross (bundled in that Robotech thingy. someday I'll get the original)

I've seen a lot of modern anime. These are my opinions:
-Akira: very visceral, kinda interesting. I really hate how everyone's heads look like those Lego guys (the author usually draws like that in all his shows).
-Evangelion: this is a anime that takes the most mundane and boring story and tries to turn it into some kind of deep philosophical mumbo jumbo, with Wangst everywhere at every single second. Whenever Lil' Whiny Boy starts crying, or Tomboy Angry Bitch starts being mean for no reason at all, I feel like kicking both of them in the face.
-Cowboy Bebop: this show is pretty damn awesome. Jazz music, the 70's in Space, unconventional sci-fi physics, and lots of high kicks to the head. I don't care much for the ending. I also don't care much about there being a "prequel" movie to that ending - I hate prequels. If watched before the final episode tho, it's also very cool.
-Gantz: this show is all about the gore. It's very annoying. There's almost no plot: literally, the plot is: we have no idea about what the fuck is going on and we're all gonna die gruesomely. Oh and everything is so mysterious (because the author has no idea what he's gonna write next). I saw the entire anime, I heard the manga is much better, but the premise is the same - dying and having no idea why.
-Card collector/monster dueling animes: yuck...

I have seen more but I don't have strong opinions about most others.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 07:59:54 pm »

-Gantz: this show is all about the gore. It's very annoying. There's almost no plot: literally, the plot is: we have no idea about what the fuck is going on and we're all gonna die gruesomely. Oh and everything is so mysterious (because the author has no idea what he's gonna write next). I saw the entire anime, I heard the manga is much better, but the premise is the same - dying and having no idea why.

The manga has some sort of plot, but I have to agree that it's mostly made as it's going along...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:43:18 pm »

Never been a fan of any anime, but I don't really dislike it or anything. I absolutely DESPISE American shows that desperately try to be anime, though, because they usually fail miserably.
To me, the word anime was always tied to those cheaply animated cartoons like Speed Racer; I'm pretty sure the entire reason a distinction between anime and 'western' animation exists is because anime was defined as cheaply and poorly made cartoons.
In any case, I don't see the point in watching foreign cartoons, because it'd be fairly simple to just, you know, remake them specifically for an English-speaking audience.
If anybody starts flaming this post, they'd better understand it was made under duress and general distraction, because honestly, I don't care that much either way. It's all entertainment that THE MAN uses to keep you down, dude! FIGHT THE POWER! Or some other stupid hippy bullcrap.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »

They've tried to remake them for the United State's audience. All attempts so far have failed miserably.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:11 pm »

*Post about wanting more men in anime*

Cowboy Bebop, Spike.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:05 pm »

I don't care what people say, I liked Avatar. The first ten or so episodes anyway, when it was a fun goofy show with very flud animation. Then plot came along and ruined everything.

But for the most part I agree with Reasonableman on this. American animation companies were doing amazing stuff before eastarn cheap animation became popular. Then when companies found that people liked that crap, it was cheaper and faster American animation started to decline. Thus why american anime is reguarded as crap: It's based on crap.

Now mind you there are some good eastern animations. I do not doubt that. The problem is the cheap shows that crowded out the American shows because of their cheapness and speed.
 Unless the better eastern animations planned this all along.
 Crafty bastards, the Japanese...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:10 pm »

One series: Planetes.
One movie: Paprika.
Possibly Satoshi Kon's other stuff when I get around to seeing it, but that's pretty much it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 03:11:53 am »

Unless the better eastern animations planned this all along. Crafty bastards, the Japanese...
It's the neo-axis conspiracy. Just like Germans take over British industry(they started with cars, apparently). Soon enough, every American kid is going to like only Japanese stuff and think like Japanese. Same as every Briton is going to drive around in BMW made Mini or Opel made Vauxhall and will want to be like those efficient Germans. The IIWW is still on, and the allies are loosing.

Seriously, Anime industry in Japan is just like movie industry in the US. Both churn out craploads of McFood, that is happily consumed by most, while from time to time there's something made for the niche audiencies. One can find stuff that is mature, interesting, smart or outright trippy, but has to look for it.
There's no reason to completely discard any of those media, just because you can't stand the pop-stuff. Same as there's no reason to go crazy for any of them just because it's something relatively new to you.(I remember how Poland was in the early 90's, when every Hollywood movie was a guaranteed hit, even if it was a complete dumbfest).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19:36 am »

Right now I am or was in the middle of watching this Anime called Zero or something

But I think I am going to stop because the show is too horrific... Mostly because the female lead is so downright abusive it transcends all comedic value making the male lead's affection towards the female lead seem like stolkholm syndrom.

Honestly there is no point in watching it I don't want to say "

Worse yet is everyone fully supports her behavior...

That and the male lead who was only mildly perverted in the first season and was modest most of the time... is WAY overblown in the second...

The show has many other situations like that... I am starting to think the show is based on "How far can women be evil until it isn't funny anymore" which judging by it having a third season is never. (though appart from the female lead only one other female is actually unjustifyable abusive...)

I wonder what I should watch instead... I started watching it when I heard it involved magic but got disapointed when the magic was actually showy but pretty low key... (No transformations? boo!)

And by transformations I do not mean Sailormoon buisness... I mean like Polymorph... Damn why did I stop reading the Animorph books? (ohh yeah... the tv show ruined my imagination)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:59:43 am by Neonivek »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:14 am »

I suggest the Liar Game manga and the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann anime.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 2191