Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763911 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:15 pm »

In my opinion Xiolin Showdown is cartoon.

While the plot is somewhat deeper than most cartoon, one can easily go watch it from the middle due to the exchange rate of the artifacts is fast enough that it hardly matters, which side has what. Also the only episodes that were important to watch plot wise were the climaxes, and where the characters received promotions.

I believe that anime being just an art style is the misconception.

Of course this argument can be easily related to debating about what a RPG is.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:11 pm »

I believe that anime being just an art style is the misconception.

It is a misconception, the term "Anime" honestly means the show in question came from japan, that is the definition of the term now and always will be. Just because the show is episodic or is watchable at any point doesn't have any bearing on what the show is, it's just different writing styles to appeal to different demographics.

Although "Anime" is also a drawing and animating style now, given some western cartoons are borrowing it these days.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »

I am not engaging in this debate, I am being petty and semantic and generally a derailing douchebag, so feel free to ignore me as you please:

Of course this argument can be easily related to debating about what a RPG is.

Would you say 'a RPG' because the 'R' stands for 'Role,' making it 'a Role-Playing Game' or would you say 'an RPG' because the 'R' is pronounced 'Arr' making it 'an Arr Pee Gee' ?

Derailment ensue.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »

No it wouldn't.  It is entirely possible for anime to look bad.  It's not like anime is some magical style that is automatically better than all others. 

well if you TRY to make it look bad then yeh, it can look worse then a cartoon. but on average, anime looks better as it has more details and smoother lines...made by the poor artists who are locked in their studios until it is fininshed lol

i think anime means the artstyle that came from japan. and that its not anime when you have american cartoon drawers try to draw anime. but someone doesnt have to make an anime in japan for it to be an anime

to me cartoons are simple, not a lot of detail, only self shadowing when exaggerating something. put a picture of a powerpuff girl next to a picture of someone from seto no hanayome and you will see the difference

plz dont derail the thread into cartoon MMOs

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:06 pm »

well if you TRY to make it look bad then yeh, it can look worse then a cartoon. but on average, anime looks better as it has more details and smoother lines...made by the poor artists who are locked in their studios until it is fininshed lol

i think anime means the artstyle that came from japan. and that its not anime when you have american cartoon drawers try to draw anime. but someone doesnt have to make an anime in japan for it to be an anime

to me cartoons are simple, not a lot of detail, only self shadowing when exaggerating something. put a picture of a powerpuff girl next to a picture of someone from seto no hanayome and you will see the difference

plz dont derail the thread into cartoon MMOs

I can instantly prove you wrong. http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=25653 (I apologize for using this website...)

Among other things I've watched the first few episodes of Paranoia Agent. The plot writing so far is excellent.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 08, 2009, 09:30:47 pm »

I can instantly prove you wrong. http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=25653 (I apologize for using this website...)
My goodness, those are awful.  I nearly burst out laughing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:50 pm »

Naruto is horrible anyways.

And let's not turn this into a flame war, aye?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:21 pm »

Naruto is horrible anyways.

And let's not turn this into a flame war, aye?
Agreed on both counts.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:50 pm »

ehh, some were from scenes that required rapid movment, so those strange poses when flip booked are actually real looking and cool (only thing keeping me watching naruto). the others i did see any problems, tried to enlarge them but it would never load. except for saskues neck, definatly a flaw, yet strangly i didnt mind. still even with those flaws its out of over 100's of episodes many of which are rush job fillers.

and now that i think about it...what do these flaws have anything to do with the actual drawing style? the normal parts of the anime are still better then cartoons

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2009, 02:47:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure you didn't see the missing head one.

Kobold Justice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:31 pm »

Yeah I like anime.  From what I've seen I like it better than most other stuff released in cartoon format, though that's not to say anime doesn't have it's fair share of stupid crap.

Staples like Cowboy Bebop, NGE, Ghibli and Akira are fine by me.  But when it comes to the everyday stuff, I prefer something more like Welcome to the NHK! or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to regular shonen series.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2009, 05:21:03 pm »

though that's not to say anime doesn't have it's fair share of stupid crap

It is really the same with all mediums isn't it?

The Number of bad games, movies, cartoons, live-actions, reality shows (if not all) are astounding.

Kobold Justice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »

though that's not to say anime doesn't have it's fair share of stupid crap

It is really the same with all mediums isn't it?

The Number of bad games, movies, cartoons, live-actions, reality shows (if not all) are astounding.

Indeed.  It's pretty much always been that way, too.  I might be getting a bit tangential here, but the main reason people think their favorite mediums are getting "worse" is because the bad music/movies/whatever of years past is forgotten, while the good is not.  In 5 years, I doubt many people will remember the "bad" anime folks whine about today, and reminisce about how awesome it must have been in the twenty-aughts.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2009, 05:45:36 pm »

Well I'm pretty sure we all know that Superman 64 was horrible.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:14 pm »

Yeah I like anime.  From what I've seen I like it better than most other stuff released in cartoon format, though that's not to say anime doesn't have it's fair share of stupid crap.
Yeah.  That's because most new stuff is anime style out of its (anime's) popularity.  There was a French cartoon done in anime style.  Code Lyoko, I think.  It was horrible.

Megas XLR was a good show though.  It was drawn anime style.  But I think it was an American show, seeing as how the main character was from New Jersey.  Really, it's the core of the show; the plot (which can go on an episode by episode basis), the characters, etc., that make it good, not the drawing style (or even quality).

I miss those older cartoons.  They just don't seem to make them like they used too. :'(
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 2191