Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2803726 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20235 on: November 18, 2014, 10:21:58 pm »

See, I was always of the opinion that that scene was just underlining the fact that Naruto had blown off a lot of his education and got away with it because of a couple quirks of birth which gave him the "ninja" (AKA muscle wizard) equivalent of an eidetic memory and superb critical thinking skills. Namely the ability to not die when he is killed.

Incidentally, it's hilarious how badly misinterpreted that quote was.

Damn Madan no Ou to Vanadis is a hard show to take seriously, a certain "something" totally overshadows all the politics and war themes. A few pics from 1 episode to illustrate:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a shot from another site, this is a preview of one of the 7 Battle Maidens (the seven most powerful warriors in the world) we haven't seen yet:
Yeah I can't wait for that.
More like several pairs of certain somethings completely overshadowing (hem) the plot. But seriously, why even watch that? It looks to have a less substantial plot and more focus on (hah) personality than shit like Infinite Stratos, and there are easier ways to get your jollies if you're into that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20236 on: November 18, 2014, 10:40:17 pm »

Spoiler: Digimon teaser~ (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20237 on: November 18, 2014, 11:46:44 pm »

Actually, the plot of Vanadis mostly focuses on battles and feudal politics so far. In every episode there is actual plot development that matters. Like, in the last episode there was a mass battle, and the show did actually have some details about battle formations, tactics and manoevers of both sides. So it's not really anything like Infinite Stratos which is a domestic comedy with occasional action scenes, and only a nominal "plot". If it was just like Infinite Stratos, it wouldn't be worth even mentioning. That's the difference, I.S. is a pure fanservice show with token nods to action (but not much), whereas this is a war show with jarring fanservice that doesn't fit the plot very well. You could get rid of all the ecchi/fanservice elements in Vanadis and still keep the storyline of each episode much the same, whereas if you did that with Infinite Stratos the entire series would probably shrink to 3 episodes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:05:04 am by Reelya »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20238 on: November 19, 2014, 12:42:34 am »

This is both mildly off-putting and kinda' great.
Japan in a single sentence.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20239 on: November 19, 2014, 12:59:28 am »

So basically we need a censor that turns all the boobs into walkie-talkies?

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20240 on: November 19, 2014, 01:40:27 am »

Just thinking about it more, of the 2 main countries in Madan no Ou to Vanadis, one side, Brune, is completely normal medieval types - no fanservicy clothes, no boobs popping out at you, proper armor, realistic stuff going on. The other country, Zcsted, as well as having an unpronouncable name, just inexplicably has 7 top generals who are magical girls in battle bikinis. So the only jarring thing is those 7 generals. Everything else in the whole setting is perfectly logical, and every other character has normal medieval dress sense.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:19:07 am by Reelya »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #20241 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:53 am »

keyman
Wow, I like.

I only read the first chapter so far but you know what art style it reminds me of? 80's sci-fi comics, UK style.
Might be just 1st chapter though.

Also, catching up to that past discussion about truck drivers - is this a thing now? No, really, just recently I've read you-know-which manga that had exactly the same scene like that posted award winning video, someone also posted a parody of such scene involving a tractor...
Are truck drivers like, really shitty at their jobs in Japan or something?
I mean, this. What's the deal?

I read some chapters from Akumetsu and it didn't sit right with me. The main thing was that it was too much over-the-top for me. Also the story was pretty nonsensical and main character was just plain crazy. Delivering judgement on corrupt politicians/police is fine if done Death Note's way. Akumetsu was way too crazy for me.

I fucking love Akumetsu. It's a masterpiece. It's cleverly disguised as gory, shonen type manga, when in fact it has a damn strong philosophical note and fantastical over-reaching idea. If you read just few chapters, you are seriously missing out. Then again, if you think it's too crazy for your taste, maybe you wouldn't like it even if you read it whole.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20242 on: November 19, 2014, 07:28:29 am »

keyman
Wow, I like.

I only read the first chapter so far but you know what art style it reminds me of? 80's sci-fi comics, UK style.
Might be just 1st chapter though.
I've finished reading through what's been translated so far, at this point. The art style is... actually pretty damn consistent throughout the whole thing. There's just a... few particular elements that haven't been introduced yet, in the first chapter. Mostly the vavoom and the cthulthu. Well, some of the vavoom is, but... well, if you keep reading, you'll see. Be prepared for both breasts and some fairly off the wall stuff. I'm not saying it gets weird weird... but it gets weird. Good weird, mostly, imo, but weird.

Also the salacious bits cut off pretty heavily past a certain (the kaiju, mostly, iirc) point. Never quite goes away, but it downshifts hard compared to the early part.

E: Seriously though, you get things like (Warning: These are all pretty sizeable, especially the first spoiler which has two images in it and shrinking them makes 'em look like arse and the second which is just buggerhuge)
Spoiler: this (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: and this (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: and this, too (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: last one (click to show/hide)
And it's just pretty great. Plus the reporter is just gwarble. It has a fairly sensible romance subplot some freaking how woven into the story! It's ridiculous! But there are also breasts and definitely excessive sexualization of some things, for those that find that off-putting. It's, like. "Beware the tits! They guard the gates to awesome."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:37:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #20243 on: November 19, 2014, 11:00:03 am »

Well, I just read it in more or less one go, excluding the lunch time. Yep, pretty great.

As for titties - eh, didn't find it so distracting personally. Actually, maybe it was more present in just the first few volumes? Anyways, can't wait so see more.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20244 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:16 pm »

Just finished a couple of movies:

Patema Inverted - this is a recent release. The North America DVD & BD was released literally ~1 week ago ... Great visuals, interesting setting, family safe. By the director of Eve no Jikan & Pale Cocoon. Enjoyed it, but a couple of gripes which I won't go into because spoilers, but they're not a deal breaker. You can read the synopsis below, but i recommend just go in blind for max. enjoyment.

Sword of the Stranger. Enough said. Great action sequences with blood and bodyparts flying everywhere. This one isn't family-safe, btw ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:07:41 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20245 on: November 19, 2014, 12:18:24 pm »

Spoiler: Build Fighters Try (click to show/hide)

Oh look frumple theres a xamel in the next episode
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:11:21 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20246 on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »

*raucous cheering*

... I mean, sure, it's probably going to get scrubbed, but still. Love me some walking hovering tanks.

E: Ooooh, or maybe not. It looks like the xammie's going to be on the probable winning team. Dander, risen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:30:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20247 on: November 19, 2014, 08:50:07 pm »

There's an adaptation coming some time (~next year?) of the most recent manga by the creator of Highschool of the Dead: Triage X. I don't know anything about it, but a summary that I pieced together is that it's about a "typical highschool boy" who falls in with a violent vigilante group called Black Label: by day they're busty nurses, by night they're leather-clad motorcycle-riding, uzi-toting femme fatale assasins (or similar, IDK exactly), who take out "societies' cancers". Sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:57:34 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20248 on: November 19, 2014, 11:17:55 pm »

It also sounds exactly like something that mangaka would come up with. I'll give it a shot, since HSoTD was pretty good in just about every moment that wasn't pure fanservice (and to be fair the fanservice was absurd enough to be funny in its own right).

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20249 on: November 19, 2014, 11:29:22 pm »

Spoiler: Build Fighters Try (click to show/hide)

Oh look frumple theres a xamel in the next episode

Yep I loved that episode

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:16:33 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1348 1349 [1350] 1351 1352 ... 2191