Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1531 1532 [1533] 1534 1535 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804864 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22980 on: June 05, 2015, 07:19:46 pm »

It is probably one of the only animes in existence with that kind of epic storytelling (not "epic" as in "WHOA EPIC!")... Well to admit I say that but I can't think of a single other anime that tried to do that.
Fate/Zero had the same kind of epic storytelling. Bonus points for having the subject of the first RL epic in it too.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22981 on: June 05, 2015, 07:47:36 pm »

Well I finished "Control the Money"

And I have to say

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall it was an alright, albeit short, anime.

---

I am surprised Fate/Zero goes through several generations of heroes with the direct result of the previous heroes adventures being felt with a heaping helping of "People moved on".

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22982 on: June 06, 2015, 12:11:47 am »

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22983 on: June 06, 2015, 12:27:24 am »

I am surprised Fate/Zero goes through several generations of heroes with the direct result of the previous heroes adventures being felt with a heaping helping of "People moved on".

It doesn't really. He probably meant the Fate franchise as a whole but... it really doesn't fit that either, Zero was a prequel to Fate and its events are reeeaaaally heavily tied to the story of Fate. And the franchise only goes through two generations. The closest thing I can think of to what you were describing is Jojo and its different parts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:55:00 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22984 on: June 06, 2015, 12:47:39 am »

For a prequel you're working within strict story bounds too, since you can't inject dialogue into the original series that would give more context to what happens of the prequel. So you're kind of constrained that anything novel you add is either killed off or forgotten by the time the main series comes around. "People moved on" is basically what you get with any element of a prequel not directly tying into the main series.

In Macross, you get this mainly with Macross Zero (2002), the prequel to the original Macross (1982). Extremely weird and monomentous stuff happens in Macross Zero, almost all of which is never mentioned again until 50 years later in Macross Frontier (which came out in 2008), and then it's mentioned as this well-known old story that everyone knows about, enough that the Macross Zero story is getting movie adaptations in-universe. Macross Zero also has a example of this the other way around - after Macross Frontier came out they retconned the BluRay release of Macross Zero to have some visual cues linking it to Frontier.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:58:59 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22985 on: June 06, 2015, 01:01:30 am »

I will say in robotech's favor the books are surprisingly engaging. There's actually nearly two dozen of the things.

Also it gets credit since apparently one of the main responses it gets when Japanese folks hear about it/watch it is shock that they managed to make Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross actually watchable
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22986 on: June 06, 2015, 01:08:30 am »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22987 on: June 06, 2015, 01:14:04 am »

I will say in robotech's favor the books are surprisingly engaging. There's actually nearly two dozen of the things.

Also it gets credit since apparently one of the main responses it gets when Japanese folks hear about it/watch it is shock that they managed to make Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross actually watchable

That's the only one I never tried watching in it's original form. Macross and Mospeada are great series though. I probably should get onto Southern Cross one day. I don't know anyone offhand who's actually watch Southern Cross by itself. I'm willing to give anything the benefit of the doubt until I actually check it out.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:18:00 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22988 on: June 06, 2015, 03:34:45 am »

Little Witch Academia 2 this October.
About fucking time this released.

I'd like to repeat the sentiment. They've been taking their sweet sweet time with an IP that's clearly made of gold.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22989 on: June 06, 2015, 03:47:09 am »

That's the only one I never tried watching in it's original form. Macross and Mospeada are great series though. I probably should get onto Southern Cross one day. I don't know anyone offhand who's actually watch Southern Cross by itself. I'm willing to give anything the benefit of the doubt until I actually check it out.
I haven't seen any robotech since I was a kid, I'm confused by the many different series, but I should probably just start at the beginning(of the translated US versions) right?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22990 on: June 06, 2015, 04:28:36 am »

I really can't recommend starting with Robotech even though I enjoyed it as a kid.

If you watch Robotech first, you'd probably have to rewatch it as SDF Macross if you want to understand what's going on in the recent entries in the series, which have modern graphics. So I'd recommend just watch SDF Macross for that reason, and Mospeada as well (which was used as part 3 of Robotech).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:48:04 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22991 on: June 06, 2015, 04:31:13 am »

This was from an age they didn't just dub things, they chopped them up "localized" them and rewrote the script.

Well... you still "Localize" them... and the age of localization hasn't exactly ended either... in fact they are currently doing something far worse :P

They are localizing subs now

But then again all my old favorite animes were localized (Digimon for example... HEAVY localization)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22992 on: June 06, 2015, 04:32:42 am »

Yeah but they didn't mash that up in poke-digi-vanguard battle busters. So at least your still getting one series and not wrecking a pile of shows all at once. To do the Robotech thing they would take one season of Digimon and explain how the main character is actually Ask Ketchum's son, and hand-wave away why all the monsters are different and you never see any of the Pokemon characters again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:34:19 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22993 on: June 06, 2015, 04:40:50 am »

Yeah but they didn't mash that up in poke-digi-vanguard battle busters. So at least your still getting one series and not wrecking a pile of shows all at once. To do the Robotech thing they would take one season of Digimon and explain how the main character is actually Ask Ketchum's son, and hand-wave away why all the monsters are different and you never see any of the Pokemon characters again.

Ohh no I realize that Robotech is just a few lines short of being flat out Samurai Pizza Cats.

On the plus side though... They never pretending it was a dub :P they mostly treat it like an entirely new property.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22994 on: June 06, 2015, 08:06:36 am »

LotGH is definitely epic in style.

Also Death Note as a musical makes perfect sense to me, it's full of monologues and is very melodramatic.
Pages: 1 ... 1531 1532 [1533] 1534 1535 ... 2191