Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1537 1538 [1539] 1540 1541 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763613 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23070 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:14 am »

It speaks volumes of Japanese culture and their views of gender politics and abuse in general. The joke is that the woman is the one abusing the man rather then the other way around, that it is the woman who is empowered, and that is what is supposed to be funny.

It's in American media, too, if you look for it. There are entire TVTropes pages full of examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale/LiveActionTV

Just the very first entry in the list:

The example from 24 is especially gut-wrenching: a man is nearly tortured to death by a (male) terrorist and is in the hospital recovering after it happened. His girlfriend sees him there depressed after what he went through and repeatedly slaps him in an attempt to invoke Get a Hold of Yourself Man, telling him to stop feeling sorry for himself after he nearly died. This is apparently just what he needed, as he returned to work later that day.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23071 on: June 22, 2015, 10:32:00 am »

Yeah I think you might be in the wrong thread there JoshuaFX, this is the anime thread, not the random japanese games thread. :P

And seriously Neonivek, if you have that much of a problem with it, how about, oh, you know, not watching those shows? I mean even if you are a rom-com only junkie (which seems to be the ones most likely ones to abuse that trope), I can still think of plenty shows that either don't use that trope, or the only times it happens are when the character actually did something that deserves slapping. If you don't like it, don't watch it, because honestly I can't say that I have found that trope suddenly overwhelming present across my entire anime playlist as you seem to be suggesting that it is. I mean I can think of several shows offhand that don't have this trope present despite having a number of female and male characters, as well as several more on top of that that don't have it due to having mainly male or female casts. In fact that only genre I'm really seeing it be fairly omnipresent in is harem shows, and honestly in some of those the protagonist is doing things that deserve him a lot more than a simple slap.

Sure, I'll take an honest discussion about the flaws of a show in this thread anytime, but this seems like at least the third or fourth time you've come into the thread with nothing but a near identical post about how you hate this particular trope cropping up "all across anime", accompanied by mentions from one of a very small handful of examples you seem to particularly dislike. It's not accomplishing anything but reiterating the same ground, nor is it being an honest, productive discussion at this point.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23072 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:17 am »

snip
Haven't you started enough arguments over this?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23073 on: June 22, 2015, 11:59:30 am »

Yeah I think you might be in the wrong thread there JoshuaFX, this is the anime thread, not the random japanese games thread. :P

Pft, I'm still the TC, and I consider anything anime-flavored or Wapanesey to be good enough criteria to count as anime. That and I really dun wanna to trawl around for a different thread or make a different one just for my insignificant ranting.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23074 on: June 22, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »

Pft, I'm still the TC, and I consider anything anime-flavored or Wapanesey to be good enough criteria to count as anime. That and I really dun wanna to trawl around for a different thread or make a different one just for my insignificant ranting.
The thread's been used to discuss manga and vocaloids too, neither one of which is technically anime but still generally Japanese. So...yeah, close enough.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23075 on: June 22, 2015, 12:06:41 pm »

It's just... there's literally a Fire Emblem thread over in the Other Games board! It's only on the third page even, with the last post like, three days ago!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23077 on: June 22, 2015, 03:25:23 pm »

And seriously Neonivek, if you have that much of a problem with it, how about, oh, you know, not watching those shows?

It is pretty ubiquous.

snip
Haven't you started enough arguments over this?

What argument? Who would be unaware of this? I might as well say water is wet.

I just bring it up whenever I see an anime with heaping amounts sexism... as a way to vent off the sexism stank from my mind. This time it was a bunch of girls talking about boobs again... In an anime that seriously wasn't even about this... it was just an ordinary anime that devolved into this.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:39:50 pm by Neonivek »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23078 on: June 22, 2015, 05:13:12 pm »

It is pretty ubiquous.
I can think of several shows offhand that don't have this trope present despite having a number of female and male characters, as well as several more on top of that that don't have it due to having mainly male or female casts.

Regardless of whether or not sexism free shows actually do exist, this is not the "sexism stank venting thread". This is the anime thread, and you attempting to use it as a sexism stank venting thread draws trouble and fuels arguments. Said trouble and arguments then attract the moderation of Toady One, thus threatening for the closure of this thread that I and many other people personally enjoy posting and discussing anime in. I therefore kindly request that if you feel the need to discuss sexism other then in an impartial way in regards to the individual merits of a specific show, or to compare or contrast such a specific show with another one, that you kindly go and make your own thread, and thus do not endanger this one with unwanted admin moderation.

Thank you for your cooperation, and I hope that someday you can find an anime that you enjoy watching.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23079 on: June 22, 2015, 05:20:42 pm »

What's a TC?

Regardless of whether or not sexism free shows actually do exist, this is not the "sexism stank venting thread". This is the anime thread, and you attempting to use it as a sexism stank venting thread draws trouble and fuels arguments.
So long as it's anime I think it's fine. Same reason I came on here after I watched English-subbed DBZ and I used this as a "bad VA stank venting thread".
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23080 on: June 22, 2015, 05:30:39 pm »

What's a TC?

Thread Creator, probably. OP[Original poster] is more often used, but they're both the same kind of thing.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23081 on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »

In all fairness I'd probably take bad DBZ voice acting to... Goku's Japanese voice.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23082 on: June 22, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »

So long as it's anime I think it's fine. Same reason I came on here after I watched English-subbed DBZ and I used this as a "bad VA stank venting thread".
It's mostly a matter of phrasing, to be honest, which when dealing with more flammable topics can be very important. Saying "I don't like show X because of thing Y" is totally fine, because in an absolute worse case then you just have to agree to disagree, assuming everyone can remain calm (which can be a problem in some topics). Similarly saying "I saw X in Y, does anyone know of other shows that do/don't have Y" is fine too, because it's asking for input. You even say something like "I like X more than Y because of Z" and that would be fine. The problem comes when you make an absolute statement involving all of a certain thing, such as "X is everywhere in shonen anime" because not only can it be viewed as an attack on anyone who has ever watched a show that didn't have X (assuming X is a bad thing), it's also most likely an untrue statement given the vast variety that said categories usually encompass.

Venting here is fine (and I'm sure many of us have raged at a particular show at least once before), as long as you do it about a specific show or set of shows as opposed to anime as a whole, you are willing to listen to people who disagree with you (since this is a discussion thread after all :P), and you believe that both you and the other people in the thread can keep cool about a topic while talking about it (because posting something with the knowledge that it will make others explode is called flamebaiting, and it's something that draws trouble). As long as venters stay within those guidelines, then they get to be happy, we get to be happy, Toady gets to be happy, and the thread gets to keep rolling onwards. :)

In all fairness I'd probably take bad DBZ voice acting to... Goku's Japanese voice.
Oh god yes. :P

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23083 on: June 22, 2015, 06:24:30 pm »

Gotenks was actually painful to listen to. Not only was it just bad voice-acting, but it didn't sound at all like he was talking. It sounded like a pair of students reading off a script really slowly so the voices could combine well, which it didn't. Gotenks was done well in the English dub of Battle of Gods, IMO.

Moving away from how awful the Japanese are at voicing DBZ (really bad - no voice could be considered even close to good), I accidentally heard Toshiro's Japanese voice and I actually kinda liked it. He's a kid and he actually sounds like a kid.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23084 on: June 22, 2015, 06:26:37 pm »

It's kinda interesting looking at younger age'd characters for voice acting. There's at least a handful where the characters are kids and actually sound like kids, but there's many more (often when said kids are the focus) where the English dubbed characters sound much, much younger. Listen to the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun sub and then dub, and it sounds like there's maybe 8 years or so age difference between the character voices IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 1537 1538 [1539] 1540 1541 ... 2191