Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2797063 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23220 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:57 am »

So I actually saw Kill la Kill on sale in a brick-and-mortar store a few days ago. As it turns out, it got an R18+ rating for "high impact sexual violence" or something like that. tbh it's kind of understandable.
SO THATS WHERE THE MEME COMES FROM!

In other news...

INCOMING GUNDAMU
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:20:34 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23221 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:49 am »

Apparently there will be a couple of new Familiar of Zero novels coming out to end the series. The original writer dictated the remaining plot to his editors before he died of cancer. Pretty sad stuff.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23222 on: July 03, 2015, 09:47:02 am »

Another thing I dislike about Bleach is how quickly it gets so bloody complicated. In DBZ there's all sorts of transformations and stuff, but it's usually just "I look a bit different and now I'm even more powerful!"
You're not gonna find another anime like DBZ if that's what you're looking for. Anime has evolved in the last forty years and that kind of simplistic transformation just doesn't cut it any more, New DBZ excluded. Well....I guess One Piece has it with Luffy's whatever gears but I only know that from catching glimpses of it as my brother watches it with headphones. Personally, I don't like One Piece.

There's no long-form action anime that doesn't get absurdly unnecessarily complicated? That kinda sucks. I remember having to take a time-out after watching some Bleach to remember all the new rules they introduced; that's when I realized I wasn't having fun watching the show anymore. Although SAO isn't quite the same beast as a long-form action anime, being broken up into more American-style seasons as opposed to epic 100+ episode sagas, the power-ups for the characters are usually kept to a new move or a new weapon, something along those lines. That's one of the things I like about SAO, all its flaws besides.

Fairy Tail works along these lines I believe. 150 some episodes in and the characters are more powerful, but generally using the same moves and such.
Actually if there's one major complaint it would be that the character's power evolution is almost completely invisible, not really any ways to see "oh Natsu is X times stronger then last season" other then "he beat the bad guy"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23223 on: July 03, 2015, 10:32:20 am »

The vast bulk of anime are actually the ~13/26 ep shows. You're going to have 30-40 of them running at once. For long shows, there will really only be a handful in production at once. They're the equivalent of the old saturday morning cartoons and air on specific weekend morning timeslots, so all those will be aimed at school age kids.

A lot of people seem to like Hunter x Hunter 2011. I haven't seen it but it might be worth a look, there are 148 episodes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:43:22 am by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23224 on: July 03, 2015, 12:27:39 pm »

A lot of people seem to like Hunter x Hunter 2011. I haven't seen it but it might be worth a look, there are 148 episodes.
Its got that sense of innocence... in a world that doesn't pull its punches.   I might venture to say that if you like FMA, you probably will like this.
Hunter x Hunter 2011 is basically a remake of all/most of the Hunter x Hunter OVAs combined with the Hunter x Hunter anime that originally aired.  (Originally, the HxH anime caught up with the manga.  The OVAs are basically each of the finished manga arcs after that). 
It follows along the manga pretty nicely.  The 2011 version has caught up to the manga.  Updates to the manga, if any, are few and far between as far as I know.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23225 on: July 03, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »

Found the manga Nejimaki Kagyu. It's interesting. I particularly like the art style.

A quick non-spoilery summary is that the MC is a new teacher at a high school. And MC also suffers from acute harem disease in that literally every female who sees him seems to fall in love with him and enter a berserk rage of love. Suddenly, his childhood friend appears, having returned from a 10 year long stay in China, and this friend reveals that they are to be a student of MC's. The friend also swears to protect him from all other insane females. Also this friend has insane spiral kung-fu powers.

Hilarity, harems, and righteous facepunching ensues.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23226 on: July 03, 2015, 03:36:19 pm »

Yes.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23227 on: July 03, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »

I used to watch Panty and Stocking a lot! Panty was the evil one, while Stocking was the innocent one.

The best moment of this anime was when Panty fed Stocking's cinnamon buns to a green dog. It was funny, and they put the suspenseful music in there. When Stocking sees the cinnamon bun incident, Stocking beats up the dog. That poor dog, though.

However, in the ending, Stocking cut Panty into a lot of pieces (don't want to specify how many) and reveals that she is the evil one, not the innocent one. She then has to collect all the pieces and then the events of the next season would happen... except there isn't a next season.

Man, I really want to see a second season of that anime.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23228 on: July 03, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »

Stocking was innocent?

I always had the impression that it was more that her interests tended to be benign and that she was usually to lazy to really do too much damage.

As opposed to Panty who desperately loved attention and people, for various reasons, and was more then willing to go out of her way to harass people.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23229 on: July 03, 2015, 05:36:39 pm »

So I actually saw Kill la Kill on sale in a brick-and-mortar store a few days ago. As it turns out, it got an R18+ rating for "high impact sexual violence" or something like that. tbh it's kind of understandable.
Nope. (SFW) The meme comes from some Vita port of some animu game. I'm not even sure if it actually said HISV word-for-word on the Kill la Kill case.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23230 on: July 03, 2015, 06:10:39 pm »

Sunrise announced a new 2016 anime best described as Beethoven summons mecha. Yes really

The story follows high school students Kanae and Sōsuke, who live in a provincial town that is trying to revitalize itself with music. One day, suddenly "Classicaloid" versions of Beethoven and Mozart appear in front of Kanae and Sōsuke. When the suspicious-looking Classicaloids play music they call "mujik," it has a strange power: stars start to fall, and giant robots appear. Now every day is tumultuous. Eventually, more Classicaloids start to appear such as Bach, Chopin, and Schubert. What is the great power that the Classicaloids have? Are they friends or foe to humanity?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:29:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23231 on: July 03, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »

Sunrise announced a new anime best described as Beethoven summons mecha. Yes really

The story follows high school students Kanae and Sōsuke, who live in a provincial town that is trying to revitalize itself with music. One day, suddenly "Classicaloid" versions of Beethoven and Mozart appear in front of Kanae and Sōsuke. When the suspicious-looking Classicaloids play music they call "mujik," it has a strange power: stars start to fall, and giant robots appear. Now every day is tumultuous. Eventually, more Classicaloids start to appear such as Bach, Chopin, and Schubert. What is the great power that the Classicaloids have? Are they friends or foe to humanity?
Whoa! I really want to see it. It think will be nice, since I like Beethoven too.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23232 on: July 03, 2015, 06:36:13 pm »

In other news...

INCOMING GUNDAMU

Tekketsu translates to Blood and Iron btw
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23233 on: July 03, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

Sunrise announced a new 2016 anime best described as Beethoven summons mecha. Yes really
No possible synopsis elicits even the slightest surprise for me any more. They're going to have to up their weirdness levels.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23234 on: July 03, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »

So to cap off the bomshells of LOTGH and Muv Luv getting official english releases earlier this week, Rightstuff continued their bring all of Gundam plan and announced their plans to bring over ZZ Gundam, Victory Gundam, and Gundam X after they finish releasing MSG and Zeta Gundam.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:21:58 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 2191