Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2802446 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23235 on: July 04, 2015, 12:24:35 am »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23236 on: July 04, 2015, 01:51:16 am »

Binged all the way up to Chapter 29 of Nejimaki Kagyu and the scanlation for chapter 29 isn't out yet. Now what. D:

Quite the excellent shonen so far. It's kinda got the action of One Piece or Fist of the North Star except with 200% more chibi animu grills and the occasional guest panel drawn by Junji Ito. Also instead of the standard shonen trope of "the power of friendship" or "the power of believing in the me that believes in you" it's "the power of true love" and "the power of me punching you in the face so hard you fly away in a spiral while our clothes get torn to shreds".

Think it'd make a good action anime. It's certainly got the fight scenes for it if the animation budget isn't shit. Also has the potential for harems and various cute girl merchandise. Get on that shit, anime producers. Cute girls punching each other in the face in the name of love, what more could you want.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23237 on: July 04, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »

Finished watching Macross. Was wonderful. Greatest balance of both seriousness and goofyness in tone that I've seen in a looong time.

Should I watch Macross Plus in movie or OVA form, or both?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23238 on: July 04, 2015, 07:09:03 pm »

FIRST, get hold of Macross Flashback 2012 and watch that - it has the actual end of the series that they couldn't afford to do originally, set to new minmei songs (the framing device is a concert). It explains where the main 1st gen characters ended up. Then watch Macross Do You Remmber Love? movie, which is an alternate version but I find you really need to watch the TV series first because it skips over a lot of plot and focuses on the relationship stuff. There is no recycled footage in DYRL either, it's all new movie animation.

Macross Plus OVA and movie are very similar really so take your pick whether you want it all in one shot or in episodes. I kind of liked the OVAs better, but I saw them first though.

At this stage I've pretty much seen literally everything Macross-related, except "Macross FB7":
http://kotaku.com/5954033/macross-fb7-is-more-a-90-minute-commercial-than-a-film

I might watch Macross FB7 one of these days though. Anyway you gotta love how Basara (Macross 7) fights the space vampires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deu-i1C5t_A
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:26:11 pm by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23239 on: July 04, 2015, 07:28:52 pm »

No one should watch Macross FB7, why the hell would you watch Frontier watching 7? The meta is too real.

For Macross Plus, OVA is dragged out alot longer than the movie and does explain a bit more on the tech and the relationships. A challenge I would recommend is finding the english dubs for the OVAs. The VA team in charge was the same that did Ghost in the Shell.

If anyone hasn't seen Macross Zero yet I would highly recommend. Even though CGI was used alot I think it was still better than Frontier.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23240 on: July 04, 2015, 07:36:16 pm »

I really disliked the Frontier movies too, the TV version is much more fun.

Macross 7 is the ultimate challenge though. It can be hard to get through the earlier episodes until the plot picks up, but it gets easier. The moments of complete insanity are the payoff.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:39:43 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23241 on: July 04, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »

Reading the first chapter of the Overlord manga. I like it.

A guy who's presumably a hikkimori who's played countless hours of a super popular virtual reality mmorpg spends the last hours of the game servers' lifespan in the fortress he and his guild companions built over the years. The game servers shut down, and the player expects to wake up from the virtual reality. He doesn't. Instead he wakes up where he left off, as his character Lord Momonga, seated on the throne of his guild hall, as the overlord of his guild fortress, staffed by npc characters now brought to life. Also his character is a big-ass skeletal lich dude.

Pretty cool so far. Digging the art-style.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23242 on: July 04, 2015, 08:26:15 pm »

I really disliked the Frontier movies too, the TV version is much more fun.

Macross 7 is the ultimate challenge though. It can be hard to get through the earlier episodes until the plot picks up, but it gets easier. The moments of complete insanity are the payoff.
*seduces thousands of space amazons with the same damn song played in every episode*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23243 on: July 04, 2015, 08:28:01 pm »

*only played in half the episodes. The other song gets played in alternate eps. But that's only right near the start, the firsr 1 cour or so. There are 49 episodes and you definitely don't hear their first two songs repeated in alternate episodes all the way through to ep 49. They get new songs in the 2nd cour and onwards, and the plot mixes it up more.

But then again, with credits etc every show has songs you hear every single episode. Sailor Moon didn't change the theme song for like 160 episodes in a row.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:36:17 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23244 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:54 pm »

Binged all the way up to Chapter 29 of Nejimaki Kagyu and the scanlation for chapter 29 isn't out yet. Now what. D:

Quite the excellent shonen so far. It's kinda got the action of One Piece or Fist of the North Star except with 200% more chibi animu grills and the occasional guest panel drawn by Junji Ito. Also instead of the standard shonen trope of "the power of friendship" or "the power of believing in the me that believes in you" it's "the power of true love" and "the power of me punching you in the face so hard you fly away in a spiral while our clothes get torn to shreds".

Think it'd make a good action anime. It's certainly got the fight scenes for it if the animation budget isn't shit. Also has the potential for harems and various cute girl merchandise. Get on that shit, anime producers. Cute girls punching each other in the face in the name of love, what more could you want.
I've only read a couple chapters, but this seems pretty spot-on. The style is unusually cartoony, but it works well. The world seems utterly ridiculous so far, which is a good sign.

Reading the first chapter of the Overlord manga. I like it.

A guy who's presumably a hikkimori who's played countless hours of a super popular virtual reality mmorpg spends the last hours of the game servers' lifespan in the fortress he and his guild companions built over the years. The game servers shut down, and the player expects to wake up from the virtual reality. He doesn't. Instead he wakes up where he left off, as his character Lord Momonga, seated on the throne of his guild hall, as the overlord of his guild fortress, staffed by npc characters now brought to life. Also his character is a big-ass skeletal lich dude.

Pretty cool so far. Digging the art-style.
SPEHSS STOP I WAS TRYING TO READ MADOKA
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23245 on: July 04, 2015, 10:06:22 pm »

SPEHSS STOP I WAS TRYING TO READ MADOKA

COOL MANGA NEVER WAITS. EXCEPT IT DOES WAIT, BECAUSE IT'S JUST PRINTED TEXT AND IMAGES.

On the bright side, Overlord is pretty short so far, so you could afford to finish other stuff first. Overlord's got scanlations up to Chapter 6 out as far as I know. Maybe there's more chapters out as japanese raws, but I can't read that, so I wouldn't know. Apparently it started as a light novel series and is up to 9 volumes, and an anime adaptation by Madhouse has been confirmed and is "in the works" and supposed to start airing sometime this July according to Wikipedia. (wikipedia is totes legit info)

trailer for the Overlord anime.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:11:35 pm by Spehss _ »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23246 on: July 04, 2015, 10:23:43 pm »

trailer for the Overlord anime.

UUUGH! I hate it because I love it.

It is like MADE for me... So it is going to like turn into a Harem anime or something...

UGH!!! I love it so much I'd have bought this if it was the trailer of the videogame.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23247 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »

If it's any reassurance, the manga to date (of translated stuff, anyway) only has mild pseudo-harem shenanigans, iirc. As mentioned, there's not much of it, and its existence as a light novel is... honestly somewhat of a warning sign*... but at least the initial impression is that it's not going to significantly lean on that particular theme. It's there, but not terribly substantially. Yet.

I mean. Dude's a skeleton. Outside of one character that I can remember, it's (mostly) not so much bone-jumping as great respect, and the MC is somewhat aware of it. Still, there's plenty of time for it to nosedive :V

E:* To clarify this, I'm not exactly knocking on LNs -- so far, I kinda' love 'em. But, out of the few dozen series I've at least tried to start up, every single one of them has ended up either outright harem-shenanigans or at least a love triangle. So it seems like it's something of a trend for the medium, and people who have issue with such may stand to be advised.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:39:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23248 on: July 04, 2015, 10:48:24 pm »

Yeah, the closest thing to a love interest is one of the NPCs whose character profile he edited in the last minutes of the game to say, "She loves [charactername]," or something to that effect, and he's sort of freaked about it. Plus, as Frumple said, dude's a living spoopy skellington.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23249 on: July 04, 2015, 10:54:32 pm »

I'm just now hearing about this skeleton manga but the plot twist seems fairly obvious.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 1548 1549 [1550] 1551 1552 ... 2191