Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2799967 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23265 on: July 06, 2015, 12:19:07 am »

I've finally gotten around to watching Paprika. It is definitely one of those shows that doesn't want time diving straight into acid trip town, and then refusing to get out.

I did like the Gabe Newell character though, his fat was so well animated.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23266 on: July 06, 2015, 05:52:02 am »

Hm, thinking of watching Ghost in the Shell, what anime in that franchise should I start with?
The films are in a different continuity, so if you want to watch the anime just start with the 1st season of the Stand Alone Complex.

I've finally gotten around to watching Paprika. It is definitely one of those shows that doesn't want time diving straight into acid trip town, and then refusing to get out.
I don't think Paprika was weird just for the sake of it. It's presentation of the collective dreamscape and its incursion on reality was all very consistent.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23267 on: July 06, 2015, 06:40:35 am »

I mean, it was very consistent, but it also threw a lot of curveballs, which I enjoyed.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23268 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:16 am »

Hm, thinking of watching Ghost in the Shell, what anime in that franchise should I start with?

If you really want to go balls-deep, I recommend the first film and its direct sequel, Innocence. They're very wordy at times and much of your enjoyment will come from your personal interpretation, but they're still extremely beautiful films, enjoyable on the visuals alone. And they're smart, too; not smart like a Hollywood "smart" action flick, but smart like The Grapes of Wrath met a high-level philosophy course.

If anything, they're what the Matrix films were inspired by. So imagine The Matrix, but good.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23269 on: July 06, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »

Started watching My Little Monster. I really like this show.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23270 on: July 06, 2015, 11:00:18 pm »

Wow... such an unlikable witch in Baby Steps (well for the first 8 minutes of the anime I am sure she isn't like this for the whole thing)

First thing she does out of the gate is constantly call the main character a loser before taking hit notes anyway.

Worse yet is I have a feeling we are supposed to agree with her. I was just sitting there thinking "Wow! she is a total witch!" not "Wow out main character sure is a loser".

Heaven forgive someone actually takes great notes and takes a real interests in school who is kind enough to print copies for all the students.

And hey students why are you letting her backtalk the guy who is probably helping you pass your class? You can't let her witch your golden goose!

But you know what? All water under the bridge because all in all a witch is far better then just a flat out abusive character.

It was just REALLY weird given that in any other anime he would be considered super amazing for his studiousness... Not "Weird"

(Ok nevermind everyone is a total witch >_< and it doesn't end the first episode)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:18:10 pm by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23271 on: July 06, 2015, 11:33:28 pm »

Maybe stop watching those types of shows and indulge yourself in a genre that isn't filled with utter crap. I hear shonen's pretty good this time of year what with DBZ Super's first episode having come out. Haven't watched it myself because it hasn't been dubbed in English, though.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23272 on: July 06, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »

Maybe stop watching those types of shows and indulge yourself in a genre that isn't filled with utter crap. I hear shonen's pretty good this time of year what with DBZ Super's first episode having come out. Haven't watched it myself because it hasn't been dubbed in English, though.

I heard babysteps was good.

But goodness did the first episode not leave a good impression on me with it constantly trashing the main character for being studious or compulsive.

It honestly felt like the anime itself was some big bully.

I've seen worse animes before but never one that sort of hit that close to home. Especially since to the episode the character is supposed to be a loser, but for reasons that are honestly quite harmless. He is supposed to be "fixed" by Tennis because it is that kind of anime (Every "whatever" anime is about some loser who is fixed through "whatever")... But the problem is that he isn't a problem. The anime did a dreadful job at convincing me of anything other then he should just change schools because everyone at his school is an ass.

It feels like school all over again where being even slightly different or awkward can leave you ostracized even if it wasn't even your fault or even a problem. So remember kids! CONFORM CONFORM CONFORM!!!

Also the first episode of Super Dragon Ball is good.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:49:05 pm by Neonivek »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23273 on: July 07, 2015, 12:01:37 am »

[ghost in the shell]

I just remembered, there's also the more recent Arise films. While not stupendous, they're kind of a middle ground between the original 1996 film and the more action-oriented Stand Alone Complex, with some pretty good twists and turns. The Major also has an actual personality, compared to the philosophy/exposition robot that was Makoto in the '96 film.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23274 on: July 07, 2015, 03:09:45 am »

Started watching My Little Monster. I really like this show.

So good. I love MLM.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23275 on: July 07, 2015, 03:16:09 am »

Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23276 on: July 07, 2015, 04:15:33 am »

But Baby Steps is a shonen action series. Yeah, the main characters classmates give him crap for the first couple of episodes, but that's just the backstory really. After he gets into tennis you hardly see any school scenes. It's really there to highlight how he's a nerd.

Quote from: Neonivek
It feels like school all over again where being even slightly different or awkward can leave you ostracized even if it wasn't even your fault or even a problem.

Realism, basically.

And I don't think it's right to say that Tennis "fixes" the main character (who is extremely OCD). That's really the opposite of what actually happens. And if you watch pretty much ANY sports anime, it really isn't how they work. If a hero in a sports anime has some major trait, then that trait becomes central to how their career goes. They don't introduce some main character trait to just throw it away and make them "normal" afterwards. No sports anime does that.

As for sports animes: Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko's Basketball, Yowamushi Pedal, Baby Steps: all these shows are actually pretty similar when you boil them down. They each have a hero who is a "nerd", the exact opposite of the expected character type for the sport they play, and they all delve into the backgrounds of the various challengers with e.g. flashbacks during matches etcs. The other three shows were probably influenced by Hajime no Ippo.

The story is not about an OCD person cured by sports, not at all. It's about an OCD person applying his OCD skills to play sports.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:50:06 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23277 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:59 am »

Finished reading Mahou Shoujo Kazumi★Magica - The Innocent Malice, which as you might guess is a spinoff of Madoka. I liked it a lot, but I don't know how to explain why without spoiling anything...

I guess the simplest thing to say would be that it managed to explore and go in different directions than Madoka while still seeming like it was the same universe and sharing some of the same themes. Probably a better source of More Madoka than Rebellion, unless you're looking for the specific characters.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23278 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25:34 am »

Studio Ghibli announces halt in production

Ghaaaa that's sad!  Hopefully they continue to pump out awesome movies at a later date...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23279 on: July 07, 2015, 08:35:04 am »

Putting this in spoilers because Baby Steps actually is one of the few anime to actually manage to personally hurt me... and apparently that drives me crazy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:47:54 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 ... 2191