Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 [1553] 1554 1555 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795904 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23280 on: July 07, 2015, 02:00:44 pm »

school in Japan

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha, it's cute that you think only Japanese schools are like that. It's not national. It's not constrained to children. Most people never grow much beyond their high-school social mindset, they just have additional problems layered on top. Social groups share internal characteristics among members, and you meld yourself to fit those characteristics to some degree if you want to fit in, even if you only adopt that version of yourself around those people. We relate better to those who are like us; ergo, the easy way to become accepted in most places is to become more like the people around you in some way. It sucks, but that's how it works.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23281 on: July 07, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »

Studio Ghibli announces halt in production

Ghaaaa that's sad!  Hopefully they continue to pump out awesome movies at a later date...

Actually the benefits of that are debatable. Whatever happens, the remaining talented people at Ghibli will definitely still make movies, perhaps at their own new studios. Whereas Miyazaki and Isahata who founded Ghibli have both retired already.

So is just keeping the Ghibli name going necessarily that important when none of the original creators are working there anymore? Sure, the remaining talent can pump out more movies, but they can do the same by e.g. going and working for Madhouse or other studios too. Ghibli don't have a monopoly on making nice movies.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23282 on: July 07, 2015, 02:52:19 pm »

Studio Ghibli announces halt in production

Ghaaaa that's sad!  Hopefully they continue to pump out awesome movies at a later date...

Actually the benefits of that are debatable. Whatever happens, the remaining talented people at Ghibli will definitely still make movies, perhaps at their own new studios. Whereas Miyazaki and Isahata who founded Ghibli have both retired already.

So is just keeping the Ghibli name going necessarily that important when none of the original creators are working there anymore? Sure, the remaining talent can pump out more movies, but they can do the same by e.g. going and working for Madhouse or other studios too. Ghibli don't have a monopoly on making nice movies.

Ah, I guess that's true.  It is the end of an era, though.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23283 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »

Yeah, it's sad to see it go, but more because of the memories than anything else.

3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23284 on: July 07, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »

...Funimation, when a show (saaaay Aquarion Logos for instance) has its plot and themes revolves around Kanji, and utilizes what as far as I can tell appear to be on screen puns and stuff involving combining words. It is generally a good idea to translate all the onscreen Kanji. Don't ya think?!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23285 on: July 07, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »

Funimation and translate aren't words I recall being used together with any seriousness, Furt. Especially not with the word "good" involved :V

... unless it's something along the lines of "Good for a laugh", I guess?

Think it was funimation, anyway. May be thinking of another company... there's at least one that's fairly notorious for the (lack of) quality of their english dubs, though, and I'm half-way sure it's them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23286 on: July 07, 2015, 06:47:45 pm »

Pretty sure you're thinking of 4Kids for the notoriously bad translations.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23287 on: July 07, 2015, 06:54:46 pm »

...Funimation, when a show (saaaay Aquarion Logos for instance) has its plot and themes revolves around Kanji, and utilizes what as far as I can tell appear to be on screen puns and stuff involving combining words. It is generally a good idea to translate all the onscreen Kanji. Don't ya think?!

Funimation and Crunchyroll work off scripts they've been provided by the creators. So they have fundamentally different skill sets to what a raw subbing outfit would need. That means that doing their own research isn't just more of the same compared to what they are doing now.

We get those shows, subbed, a day or two after they air in Japan, i.e. simulcast. Sure, they could delay everything while they pimp out the subs, but we'd be having the opposite discussion then of why don't Funimation get off their asses and release shows quickly like Crunchyroll. And, given that this would hit the economic viablity of Funimation, they might actually lose some of those licenses to rival simulcast networks if they tried to delay things.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:00:56 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23288 on: July 07, 2015, 06:56:43 pm »

Pretty sure you're thinking of 4Kids for the notoriously bad translations.
Aahhh, yeah, that'd be it. My bad, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23289 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »

Fair enough with the script thing, but still, it's really jarring. Specially since in instances like this my experience has been that Crunchyroll is a lot better at it than Funimation is as well. And yes I know what simulcasting is, but a lot of the shows Funi have been airing this season (including this one) have been delayed by more like a week, not just a couple days.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:02:25 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23290 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »

Well what I was saying about how neither channel actually translates any more than the script gives: neither of them ever translate the song lyrics. The only exception in my recent memory was Funimation and the Log Horizon OP, which was in English anyway. So, sure, they'll sub the lyrics if they're in English anyway, which kind of proves the point that FN and CR really are not in the translation business, not at all.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:09:19 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23291 on: July 07, 2015, 07:09:46 pm »

Actually at the ACEN Crunchyroll panel this year, they explained that the song lyrics is actually because of how the rights to the song are sold separately and it's a hassle to go through the rules and cost of the Japanese music sector compared to the anime sector, so a lot of the times they aren't able to get them.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23292 on: July 07, 2015, 07:13:39 pm »

But note: that's most likely the hassle to get a printed copy of the lyrics. Not the hassle of manually sitting down, listening to the song, and transcribing the lyrics. The rights to broadcast the song come with the anime. There's no way that this does not include the right to type out some subtitles in a foreign language for something you already have broadcast rights for.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-879363/lyrics-in-openingclosing-title-sequences

The reason really is that music licenses are separate from anime licenses. When Studio XYZ makes an anime, they get the license to all the dialog, but they in turn license the music that is used. So, the studio can usually hand over the script for translation, but they often do not have the rights to hand over the song lyrics.

This says to me, clearly they translate any script they get handed. I doubt they'd actually get sued or anything if they manually added extra translation, songs or otherwise, but it's more effort and would make the simulcasts cost more to produce.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:27:26 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23293 on: July 07, 2015, 08:50:04 pm »

... they would pretty definitely get sued if they translated and distributed material they don't have the rights to translate and distribute, such as is apparently often the case with the song lyrics. There's a reason fansubs are generally illegal, even when they're separate from the media they're translating -- it's plain clothes copyright infringement just to translate and distribute, even if it's just a text file or something divorced from the material being translated. Yes, the right to broadcast and the right to translate are two different things, and only bundled if the developer/producer specifically does so. Which apparently they often don't.

The major reason very few people in the amateur field get in legal trouble for it is because it usually isn't particularly worth the hassle to go after them -- too few funds on their side, too small a market, etc., etc. Something like Funimation is a very much different story.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23294 on: July 07, 2015, 11:40:39 pm »

school in Japan

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha, it's cute that you think only Japanese schools are like that. It's not national.

It isn't that "Ostracizing someone for being different" is unique. But rather the specific things they pick on him for are very Japanese.

For example he said he wanted to play tennis to stay in shape. Something that would be incredibly normal in just about any society on earth. Yet it is considered weird as far as the anime is concerned.

I mean either the anime does a poor job in justifying why our main character is a loser or Japan has some vastly different criteria of weirdness. One or the other.

It really does feel like an informed flaw.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:46:14 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 [1553] 1554 1555 ... 2191