Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2815319 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26010 on: January 17, 2016, 07:10:20 pm »

I read the Yume Nikki manga. Was alright. The first half followed the game pretty well and some of the stuff they added was kinda neat. However, making it so that there was a villain and a hero and... an actual story kinda ruined it for me.

Well... There was a villain in Yumi Niki

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26011 on: January 17, 2016, 07:36:10 pm »

There were strange occasions and sinister events, but I wouldn't say any villains. Insane toriningen and Uboa are the closest things to villanous, since they all trap you somewhere, but they feel more like things that happen to you than malicious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26012 on: January 17, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »

There were strange occasions and sinister events, but I wouldn't say any villains. Insane toriningen and Uboa are the closest things to villanous, since they all trap you somewhere, but they feel more like things that happen to you than malicious.

There are all her school mates who treat her terribly and are one of the major proponents of her social anxiety and poor self-image.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26013 on: January 17, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

Nothing in-game says that outright. The toriningen party makes that a very likely explanation, but it's not definite.

EDIT: I should be more general. Nothing in-game says anything outright. The most obvious thing is that Madotsuki seems to think about menstruation a good deal for some reason or another, and even that's way up for interpretation (dysphoria? pregnancy? hikikomori having to go through puberty alone and being scared?), and even that I didn't notice until my last play of the game, there's a lot to take in, much of it excessively weird.

I know this is sorta off-topic, but I think everyone should play Yume Nikki. It's probably the single best example of something that can only be done in video games, there's very little time investment to get to the good stuff (it's an exploration game and if it doesn't appeal to you after about 10 minutes it probably won't appeal at all), and it's a very good game to discuss with people.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:53:59 pm by Putnam »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26014 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:06 pm »

Grimgar seems pretty interesting so far. It's a lot less "Shoneny" than I was expecting.

It's a very different take on the "RPG World" thing. A rough synopsis of the episode 1 setup is an entire new RPG party who are so weak they can't even takedown the weakest monster in the game, so they have to get creative about basic survival, not just winning fights. It's definitely more in the Log Horizon vein than the SAO vein, except less emphasis on OP skills.

And the fights are pretty cool too. They feel more like desperate hobo knife fights with screaming, than they do your typical anime sword fighting.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:45:20 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26015 on: January 17, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »

i know i've said that it's a pretty frigging savage insult before, but my god every single second i see of sword art online just makes me think "this is a PLH anime"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26016 on: January 17, 2016, 08:51:33 pm »

Hmm, Grimgar could be the Evangelion of MMO animes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:54:33 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26017 on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

i know i've said that it's a pretty frigging savage insult before, but my god every single second i see of sword art online just makes me think "this is a PLH anime"
PLH?

Though yeah, SAO is kinda bad. At best it's above-average action with obligatory haremshit, at worst it's below-average haremshit with incidental action.
I'd recommend the abridged serious though, that thing's actually really good.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26018 on: January 17, 2016, 08:57:14 pm »

I'd personally say I really liked SAO... until I saw Log Horizon.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26019 on: January 17, 2016, 09:02:15 pm »

PLH?

it's a long story; short version is: fanfiction writer, tends to write OP-protagonist-who-also-has-a-minimum-of-two-girlfriends stories.

also some stuff about reprehensible characters being consistently said but certainly not shown to be paragons of virtue etc.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26020 on: January 17, 2016, 09:06:13 pm »

You know, you could just say what the acronym stands for. If people are still confused after that, then you could offer an explanation.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26021 on: January 17, 2016, 09:07:01 pm »

I've seen the acronym be used consistently enough that I have the weird feeling that it's one of those "if you say it, they will come" situations.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26022 on: January 17, 2016, 09:09:02 pm »

Apparently DBZ Super finally finished recapping the movies and is now about to move onto to the new stuff with the tournament between the different dimensions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:15:02 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26023 on: January 17, 2016, 09:19:24 pm »

I've seen the acronym be used consistently enough that I have the weird feeling that it's one of those "if you say it, they will come" situations.
I still can't work out what it stands for.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26024 on: January 17, 2016, 09:20:44 pm »

It's a name. You don't need to know the name unless you really want to read some of that fanfiction. I guess that's probably what you meant, huh.
Pages: 1 ... 1733 1734 [1735] 1736 1737 ... 2191