Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2793588 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29760 on: December 27, 2016, 02:03:34 am »

It's a shame they changed so many of the stand names in the English edition of JoJo, that broke a lot of the band-name references (e.g. Shining Diamond rather than Crazy Diamond, Cheap Trap instead of Cheap Trick), but I'm guessing they did so because of trademark issues.

~~~
I also watched Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls. At first I was slackjawed wondering WTF I was even watching, perhaps the worst-looking magical girl show ever. ... but then it clicked who made this and what it's about, and it's pretty fun. It's made by the same people who made Tesagure! Bukatsumono, the almost completed adlibbed web anime that deconstructs highschool cute girls x things shows.

Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls is basically a no-fourth-wall take on magical girl shows, crossed with a gameshow of the "who's line is it anyway?" type. Basically everything is adlibbed on the spot, with only vague directions to the voice actresses about what they're meant to be doing in each scene, along with mini-challenges, such as when they're in a scene where they're meant to be pop idols in a concert, each girl is asked to sing their new "hit song", given only the style and a title of the song. None of them are actual singers. So in other words, you don't go into a show like this expecting a normal anime, that would be a mistake. It's pure deconstruction and adlibbed trainwreck comedy / gameshow.

And it has plenty of one-liners you'd never ever see in other shows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:45:27 am by Reelya »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #29761 on: December 27, 2016, 05:36:33 am »

Re: anti-friendship anime crew

Boondocks did something like that, but with old people. See Colonel H. Stinkmeaner and The Hateocracy.

Although it is arguable if one can call Boondocks an anime. Graphically, I'd say it bears an uncanny resemblance to one, but that's about it. Plus, its country of origin is US, after all.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:48:59 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29762 on: December 27, 2016, 05:56:56 am »

Boondocks is anime style, not an anime.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29763 on: December 27, 2016, 06:01:47 am »

Boondocks is anime style, not an anime.

I heard stupid people fighting about it, so I tried to keep it neutral. Not an anime, then.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29764 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:00 am »

Yup, that's the reason I stick to the country of origin definition instead of the "style" definition. Any defined "style" would logically need to be applied for both American and Japanese series, or it's not a style-based definition. No matter what set of rules defined the "anime style", you'd have to exclude many classic Japanese anime, so we'd now have:

- Japanese anime (as defined by White peopletm)

- Japanese cartoons (stuff made in Japan that doesn't fit the official white people's guide to true anime definition).

- American cartoons (non-anime type)

- American cartoons (anime type)

... and you can imagine the clusterfuck of trying to even agree on where those lines are drawn. Also, the "mainstream anime style" that people want to cite is basically what sells in America (shonen battle), not Japan - shoujo, seinen, and kids/family series (Sazae-san, Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan) often have many more viewers / buyers in Japan than the stuff that gets big with the American fans, who would consider the actual mainstream stuff in Japan to be "niche". So we'd end up sitting here telling Japanese people that Boondocks is real anime while Doraemon is only a cartoon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 09:15:11 am by Reelya »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29765 on: December 27, 2016, 09:09:34 am »

So... addressing series by titles it is. Thankfully pretty much everything has one in Latin alphabet.
Sigs

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29766 on: December 27, 2016, 10:01:04 am »

But nobody cares about the country of origin when deciding what to watch next...

They decide that based on style and genre.

So having words that describe style and genre makes a lot more sense than having words that describe country of origin....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:05:12 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29767 on: December 27, 2016, 06:38:33 pm »

Make different words then rather than co-opting a word which already means something else.

There are easily 30 different genres represented in anime, so it's not a "genre" word. D'ya mean sports animes, action animes, fantasy animes, mecha animes, historical animes, romance/drama animes, romantic comedy animes (and if that, d'ya mean harem comedies or do you means shoujo romcoms), d'ya mean idol animes, or d'ya mean school slice of life. Or perhaps more general slice of life (Aria), or philosophical animes (Mushishi). Maybe you want one set in the gangster era that's a black comedy (Baccano) or one that's a tragedy (91 days). And you know that's only scratching the surface of possible genres you're going to find.

Clearly "anime" by itself is useless to define a "genre". Many people watch anime because they want 2D animation with a wide range of genres. And nobody else is offering that. It's like if every shoe shop sold one type of shoe each, and then you found a shoe shop with 40 varieties of shoes, you'd probably keep going back to that shop to find new types of shoes even if there was some technically better shoes at one of the little shops.

For "style" many people also watch anime because they like the language / watch subs, and there are many cultural idiosyncracies included. It's a mistake to think than in an animation which is a story with visuals, music, dialogue, production, etc, that "style" can be just boiled down to what shape people's heads are. boondocks is a cartoon where the characters have "anime shaped heads". This in no way means it completely encompasses "anime style" in a way that you couldn't tell the difference.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:03:33 pm by Reelya »

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #29768 on: December 27, 2016, 10:55:18 pm »

we should probably stop this discussion about "what counts as anime" since it's very annoying having this come up again and again and the same arguments are brought up over and over with zero progress or even acknowledgement that this subject has come up before.  not sure why i spoiled this part

After JJBA Part 4 ended I can't really figure out what to watch, besides re-watching Fist of the North Star again.  What are this season's action-y animes that I can look into, or even what are next season's that I can look forward to?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:04:55 pm by Cthulufaic »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29769 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »

I am seriously going to have to start watching animes that actually have a freeken ending...

Started Log Horizon and while it has problems... it also does one thing particularly well in that it has EVERY excuse to make the main character an insufferable Mary Sue character... Yet while he often comes off as too important for his own good (seriously he wasn't even all that big a deal >_< even by MMO standards) the show gives important moments to other characters, lets him make mistakes, and relies on other characters rather consistently (as well as needing to be bailed out a lot).

It seems like there are like... Two types of animes that have no ending
1) The Demo: Lets advertise the manga/LN by making a really good anime that would compliment it really well. What was that? it is a huge tease? Sucks to be you!
and
2) The Sequel Beg: They have no reason to believe they will get another season but are really hoping they do...

Western Animation has the second (and never the first) but it also typically has the
3) Eternal Cliff Hanger: Don't have an intended ending for your series but want to end it anyway? Well just slap on a cliff hanger at the end.

Also 2 and 3 are often the same thing, but not always.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29770 on: December 29, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »

I kinda wish there was more Keijo. I have no idea where the anime could go in future storylines, but I still want to see more of it.

At least the manga's still ongoing, so I can add it to the list of manga I should follow up on but never will.

After JJBA Part 4 ended I can't really figure out what to watch, besides re-watching Fist of the North Star again.

... All of it? The whole thing? That's quite a bit to be casually watching over and over. :o
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29771 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »

After JJBA Part 4 ended I can't really figure out what to watch, besides re-watching Fist of the North Star again.

... All of it? The whole thing? That's quite a bit to be casually watching over and over. :o

He already saw all the other animes. I'm sure people could recommend something, but it's sort of had to do without some idea of what you've seen Cthulufaic. Maybe give Gintama a go if you haven't seen that.

~~~

And oh fucking yeah.  Yowamushi Pedal season 3 coming up. One of the best recent high-octane sports animes. At the same time we got this:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31422/Minami_Kamakura_Koukou_Joshi_Jitensha-bu
It's like Yowamushi Pedal, moe girls edition. With pink bikes! Double the cycling action this season.

Also: Rewrite fucking season two? You gotta be kidding me. I kinda thought S1 was the end, for obvious reasons. But I guess it was only the first half. For other obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:44:03 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29772 on: December 30, 2016, 07:53:03 am »

Sorry for the double-post, but there are some specials that might interest people here. There's a Humble Bundle for Tsutomu Nihei mangas, including Knights of Sidonia.
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/science-fiction-manga-book-bundle

Free: sign up to Kodansha Comics newsletter to get volume 1 of Noise.

$1: get Blame volume 1, and 1 month of CrunchyRoll.

$17: get Blame v. 1-2, 1 month of CrunchyRoll and volumes 1-15 of Knights of Sidonia. Some other bonus mangas also kick in once enough people donate money.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:06:06 am by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29773 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »

In this episode of Hot Takes from the Internet: Kurokami no Otome!

My Japanese is miserable, but this sounds like a sequel or sister story to Tatami Galaxy directed by Masaaki Yuasa, due out in spring of 2017. Even if not, I adore this style, and am pretty hype.

Anyone else got more information on this?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29774 on: December 30, 2016, 08:46:34 pm »

Yeah it's the same director, but this time it's a movie. His last actual film was Mind Game (2007). This new movie  however is a collab with the author of the novel Tatami Galaxy was based on, and the same character designer is working on this. So while it's probably not narratively connected with Tatami, it's got many of the same people involved.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:48:08 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 2191