Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2793589 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29955 on: February 07, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »

The protagonist of Little Witch Academia (2017) is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29956 on: February 07, 2017, 06:50:13 pm »

It is a Japanese archtype. "The annoying protagonist who weasels her way into everyone's business, doesn't respect their needs, doesn't respect their things, doesn't respect their ideas, messes things up for everyone... But they are such a try hard that you can't help but love them! Ohh and look they do the right thing eventually!"... Another example of this is Goku.

The worst she got is in this most recent episode. Where I honestly was on Diana's (her rival) side the entire freeken time.

To admit Diana could get insufferable... But the anime don't made her suddenly attack someone for no reason ENTIRELY to make the protagonist more sympathetic... Because if Diana only chewed our protagonist out for being a colossal irresponsible moron (like she was being) then the audience wouldn't have sympathy.

Which I HATE when shows do that (More common in the West)

Come on "Big Dumb Diary" at least understood there is a difference between sympathizing with a character... and agreeing with them. It could balance the "I hate you soo much even though you didn't really do anything to me!"

-------

A easy way to understand why such a character exists is both due to Japan's obsession with politeness... and also a sort of belief that dumbness is linked to purity (Naïve and Pure are directly linked and often used interchangeably)

So you have a character who doesn't let the often strict rules of society get in the way of being a good person or passionate.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:57:51 pm by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29957 on: February 07, 2017, 07:22:45 pm »

I've seen that archetype before, and it usually hasn't gotten in the way, because other characters with this archetype have it in less concentrated form and also generally have redeeming qualities, but when literally every second scene in the entire anime is "Hey look I failed my IQ check again" then I really really can't understand how they expect anyone to enjoy watching this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29958 on: February 07, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »

It oddly enough makes me want to watch Worst Witch.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29959 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:15 pm »

Yeah, LWA is the biggest disappointment of the season for me. Even if you want to watch a show about girls who are flawed people and treat each other poorly, Doga Kobo's beating Trigger this season. The coffee episode did feel a bit mean-spirited, but by and large Gabriel Dropout keeps the bullying to an "all in good fun" level, it's not just blatant disregard for other people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29960 on: February 07, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »

Ok I know this isn't related to little witch academia

Is in Dragon Ball Super... and it is starting to hit me more and more... is I don't think Goku even likes Chichi...

It is actually becoming sadder and sadder that this is some sort of loveless one way marriage.

It is flat out depressing now to watch what is a broken home.

---------

Ugh the Slice of life is sooooooo slice of life... It is practically made of Teflon.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:04:26 pm by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29961 on: February 07, 2017, 11:08:21 pm »

Is in Dragon Ball Super... and it is starting to hit me more and more... is I don't think Goku even likes Chichi...

It is actually becoming sadder and sadder that this is some sort of loveless one way marriage.

It is flat out depressing now to watch what is a broken home.
I don't follow the series, but I will say that part of why DBZ took off in the west as it did was because a lot of people who aren't traditionally nerds could relate to it a lot more than the idealized families that were popular in a lot of media at the time, and the general lack of focus on family and whatnot. Like, I'm not saying painful is bad, but Goku's imperfect relationship with his family (that isn't treated patronizingly by the writers) is something that resonates with a lot of folks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29962 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:03 am »

Finished the first season of Natsume Yuujinchou and I really didn't like it so far.

The problem with the series is that it throws sentimentality at the audience but there is no substance to it, in fact the characters themselves aren't even moved by the very events that transpire around them. As well character motivations often seem to run counter to how they act. As well all the characters are mostly static characters in a show ABOUT life changing events.

So the "Feels" is pretty much null... But what about the Redeemer aspect?

Well... there are exactly two issues
1) The characters act completely contrary to their motivations most of the time. So the reveal is typically "Yes, I was a completely different person this entire time!" HECK one character outright EXPLICITELY said he didn't want the main character seeing something... He invited them to see but he turned down.
-This probably hurts this anime the most...
2) WOW! is it often too easy. Deep complex personal problem? Ehh. Which makes that issue seem like it wasn't very complex or deep and pretty much not really due to our main character.

Not to mention that the main character is hard to put a beat on because his motivations are all over the place... So in some episodes he is actively looking to help, and in others he couldn't be aroused to do it and has to be harassed.

So Redeemer aspect is out.

Finally a kind of issue is that this anime is very one note and it will play that note a lot. Yeah it plays it a LOT!

But I get it... This is a sort of endless summer (sort of) anime where characters do not grow so much that you go further and further into their minds and motivations. Seeing the dynamics fill out before you. With the people he meets being sort of the random people he finds everyday.

----

Also you can tell the Grandmother was a delinquent because she had Blonde Hair :P (no really :P)

----

GOODNESS why am I starting to think that Yokai Watch is basically the improved version of the show? They are nothing alike! (Then again... it does have established character motivations with pay offs... and character motivations are consistent... and when it is funny it is funny... And Whisper is way funnier then the Cat)

Wait... which came out first the Yokai Watch anime or this one? Because the similarities have kind of hit me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:23:25 am by Neonivek »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29963 on: February 08, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »

HELLO HELLO CHILDREN

As an entity that is not a usual acquaintance of this thread, I come with you with a unusual thing, behold, this one manga about a feeble girl who wrote a manga about herself and her experiences with lesbian prostitutes.

As someone who enjoys digging into people's heads in more ways than one I have come to apreciate this thing. I feel you people might, as well, specially those odd people at the gender thread, since this manga has lots of gender and sexuality related brainstorming, with zero actual smut, which I find funny, and that some of you odd people might actualy be interested in.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29964 on: February 08, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »

Hi TempAcc.

Why did I think you were LW for a second?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29965 on: February 08, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »

Pathos.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29966 on: February 09, 2017, 11:30:18 am »

Ok I HAVE to hand it to that anime I am watching (the dungeon and useless goddess one)

It has managed to do what many animes and videogames have failed to do...

And actually give a plausible reason why a boss might willingly be at the end of a dungeon and all that.

Because he KNOWS he is going to die, he must die, and has no loyalty to his "boss" so to speak. So he just set up this elaborate dungeon of monsters and traps because if he is going to die it better be the most elaborate and glorious death dang it!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29967 on: February 10, 2017, 09:33:45 am »

HELLO HELLO CHILDREN

As an entity that is not a usual acquaintance of this thread, I come with you with a unusual thing, behold, this one manga about a feeble girl who wrote a manga about herself and her experiences with lesbian prostitutes.

As someone who enjoys digging into people's heads in more ways than one I have come to apreciate this thing. I feel you people might, as well, specially those odd people at the gender thread, since this manga has lots of gender and sexuality related brainstorming, with zero actual smut, which I find funny, and that some of you odd people might actualy be interested in.

Thanks for pointing this out, I was fully engaged in it for the short ride it lasted. I guess there will be future updates?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29968 on: February 11, 2017, 05:42:42 am »

Can I ask for a recommendation of a good non-ecchi yuri series? Something really cutesy and feel-good, probably closer to slice-of-life than an actual romance subgenre; from what I've seen, actual romance tends to have lots of really heavy drama, and I don't want that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29969 on: February 11, 2017, 06:18:48 am »

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/26/Shoujo_Ai

Yuru Yuri - the obvious one.
Hidamari Sketch - hints of yuri now and then.
Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san - very cute, really short episodes
Sakura Trick - actual yuri in this one, some ecchi

There are a couple more that come to mind that are probably completely clean but they are more SoL drama-oriented rather than SoL comedy.

BTW fun trivia: avoid using the label "yuri" when searching for English speaking anime sites - use "shoujo ai" instead. And avoid using the label "shoujo ai" when talking to actual Japanese people - say "yuri" instead. On English sites the "Yuri" label is reserved for just yuri hentai, and "Shoujo ai" is used for "light yuri". But in Japan ALL yuri is just called yuri, while "shoujo ai" means you have a fondness for little girls ... so it's one of those unfortunate cases of the English fans making up categories that don't make sense to Japanese people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:48:14 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1996 1997 [1998] 1999 2000 ... 2191