Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2802965 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30000 on: February 17, 2017, 07:57:35 am »

In Yamato, the crew blows up an enemy base at one point. In the dub, Star Blazers they include the scene, but they spliced in an extra shot of a fighter plane leaving the base, and then had a voice over claiming to the head baddies "It's ok we evacuated safely". So hooray, a huge base got disintergrated by a massive space cannon, luckily nobody was hurt.

Ehh it was Sunday in Angel Grove.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30001 on: February 17, 2017, 07:42:59 pm »

So... what about ACCA13? Any thoughts?
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30002 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:57 am »

Goku is basically Forrest Gump
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30003 on: February 18, 2017, 10:20:22 am »

So... what about ACCA13? Any thoughts?

It's a rather well thought out anime that doesn't appeal to everybody simply by the virtue of it being slower paced and doesn't feature a cathartic release through conflict very often, resulting in frustration to those that like faster-paced, more action-oriented shows.

On the other hand, there's a lot to like. The OP is pretty good, I find the animation and art to be good enough for the show it is. The story is intriguing enough to be interested in watching it as a weekly thing.

What makes or breaks the show for people I would say is the characters. They're not very relatable, but we don't know if that's on purpose or not. On the other hand there's significant exposition of most of the characters making it seem more human, as in it's not focusing on one character all the time. This part would depend on whether you can look past relatability of the characters and find yourself liking them, acknowledging that it's fiction.

All that said, the show isn't bad at all, but given what we've seen so far, the only exceptional thing it's doing is that it's a somewhat novel approach to events. The manga itself on which it's based seems to have a consistent reputation so if you like what you're seeing right now, you'll probably like what you'll see in the future.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30004 on: February 18, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

I got around to watching Astro Fighter Sunred, and I can't get over how much I want all other Hero/Monster of the week shows to just be like this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30005 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:26 pm »

Yeah, I also finished season one of that recently.

Basically it's like One Punch Man but if he was older, more jaded and a bit of an asshole, and it's about what the monsters do in their daily lives in between being beaten up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:48:58 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30006 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:49 pm »

Yeah, I also finished season one of that recently.

Basically it's like One Punch Man but if he was a bit of an asshole.

Well... Saitama kind of is... yeah... he is an ass most of the time.

Though he is more of a dismissive ass :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30007 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:38 am »

You guys just got me sold on a new anime to watch.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30008 on: February 19, 2017, 01:37:02 am »

Just be aware it's a fairly low budget show with ~12 minute episodes that came out back in 2008, so don't expect it to look like Fate Zero or anything :P

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30009 on: February 19, 2017, 06:08:35 am »

DBS is sooooo cooooool.
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30010 on: February 19, 2017, 10:14:13 am »

I'm liking Iron Blooded Orphans a lot, although I'll refrain from posting about it as I watch. I only heard of it because people here are always talking about the latest episode, and I'm way back at the beginning :P

Alright, I just finished the first season and will now share pent-up reactions. Holy shit that was a wild ride, is every Gundam series like this?

Spoiler: Spoiler thoughts (click to show/hide)

Pure 10/10 series. I might just start watching the second season now, I really want to see more of this.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30011 on: February 19, 2017, 10:37:25 am »

I'm liking Iron Blooded Orphans a lot, although I'll refrain from posting about it as I watch. I only heard of it because people here are always talking about the latest episode, and I'm way back at the beginning :P

Alright, I just finished the first season and will now share pent-up reactions. Holy shit that was a wild ride, is every Gundam series like this?

Spoiler: Spoiler thoughts (click to show/hide)

Pure 10/10 series. I might just start watching the second season now, I really want to see more of this.

Some more so than others. They've all got the general "war is shit" theme, but the execution and specifics vary wildly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30012 on: February 19, 2017, 11:09:20 am »

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket is a good short one to check out, it's a side story to the war in the original Gundam series, but has it's own cast of characters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30013 on: February 19, 2017, 12:37:04 pm »

I've only been slightly paying attention to Unicorn but dammit I love the mecha designs in this one, the Kshatriya, Unicorn, Banshee, Sinanju, the updated Zaku and Doga-spinoff-thingy, they got into the whole "LETS SLAP ON MORE PLATES AND GUNS!" mode later of course, but the main suits and such had a nice aesthetic to them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30014 on: February 19, 2017, 12:44:42 pm »

The original Gundam gets pretty silly with some of the later bad guy designs, but it was really getting into a monster of the week feeling by then: "what crazy shit will Zeon throw at us this time? Maybe it will be a three legged giant robot sea chicken with squid tentacles and laser eyes?"

I'm slightly exaggerating here, but it really did feel like they were scraping the barrel to make some of the special enemy mecha's "cool" enough. And it definitely feels weird that the orbital colony space guys have all these "special" designs fitted to work with various Earth terrains but the Earth humans don't have that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:47:41 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 2191