Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2796571 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30015 on: February 19, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »

The original Gundam gets pretty silly with some of the later bad guy designs, but it was really getting into a monster of the week feeling by then: "what crazy shit will Zeon throw at us this time? Maybe it will be a three legged giant robot sea chicken with squid tentacles and laser eyes?" I'm slightly exaggerating here, but it really did feel like they were scraping the barrel to make some of the special enemy mecha's "cool" enough.

One time it was a trio of three people!

And another time it was two people!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30016 on: February 19, 2017, 01:54:34 pm »

Imho IBO is probably the strongest series of Gundam I've seen so far, and I watched a fair number of them. The best thing about it I think is that it doesn't go batshit stupid in the second season, well, at the very least it hasn't done that yet.

What I most like about it compared to some other takes on the war is hell is that it doesn't neccessarily get preachy starry eyed nonsense every time shit gets bad. Folks recognize that it's shitty what they're doing but fuck it, it was the hand that was dealt and they're playing to the best of their ability. Especially in the second season, there's a handful of events that push some of the people and instead of taking the high road or acting brave or whatever, they show that they're human and perhaps don't deal with stuff perfectly and often get emotions in the way (especially since a lot of them are teens/young adults).

On Unicorn, it's beautifully designed and animated but the characters are such insufferable twats that I couldn't get past the first several episodes, and from that it really felt like they just took the worst shit from 00 and Seed and then made it even more cringe inducing. It's a damn shame really.

But if you just want pretty gundams of all kinds, watch Build Fighters because it's just that, people building model gundams from all eras and fighting with them in mock battles, it's silly and not entirely serious but good fun nonetheless.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30017 on: February 19, 2017, 02:01:48 pm »

I will also say something really unpopular...

The sequel to Gundam Build fighters is... worse than the original. You can just skip it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30018 on: February 19, 2017, 02:29:07 pm »

TBH Unicorn is worth watching anyways. It's less than ten episodes and beautiful, I just turned my brain off and watched it for the fights.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30019 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »

The sequel to Gundam Build fighters is... worse than the original. You can just skip it.
Since when was saying that Try is shit unpopular? Like I have never met a single person who even at the very least believed it was on par with the original.

TBH Unicorn is worth watching anyways. It's less than ten episodes and beautiful, I just turned my brain off and watched it for the fights.
Also this. It has a lot more impact if you've watched the rest of the UC timeline prior to seeing it admittedly.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30020 on: February 19, 2017, 07:29:13 pm »

Since when was saying that Try is shit unpopular? Like I have never met a single person who even at the very least believed it was on par with the original.

Also this. It has a lot more impact if you've watched the rest of the UC timeline prior to seeing it admittedly.

Because Gundam Build fighters Try is very... spectacle. It is "Bigger" more "To the max" than the previous one.

Which it is very hard to argue when something has worse choreography when another has more epic explosions... Even though it is something I insist are completely separate.

As well the pacing, storytelling, characterization, and handling of themes is worse... But they are kind of "Fast food" versions... Which typically gets people on their side.

I mean who needs a well developed female character... When you have a Tsundere? Ohh and we have a cold emo guy!

---

On a side note: Try also makes a very baffling waste... The problem with the first season (well a problem in SOME ways) is that due to the nature of the contest it was kind of all or nothing.

So now you have a team of three, meaning fights can actually have losses, ties, and other stuff. You can have really dynamic fights in that respect. Especially with different styles.

Man ohh man did they completely waste that set up.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30021 on: February 19, 2017, 07:36:00 pm »

I have seen bits and pieces of the prior UC shows and understand the ties to Zeta and whatnot plus the original series links, it's a "real" Gundam setting instead of... 00 or Seed, which I just didn't even bother with.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30022 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »

Oh yeah, a lot of it is about playing off the feels from the various other UC shows. If you lack that context I can definitely see how it would come off worse than it would otherwise.

The music was fantastic, in any case.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30023 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:35 pm »

Have I mentioned that the most recent episode of Dragon Ball Super was amazing? Because it was just awesome. Sooooo cool.
._.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30024 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »

Well I just watched drifters, it has that certain hilarious absurdity that I can appreciate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30025 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »

So I just cought up with the last two eps of IBO (think there's one or two more left, not sure how many the first season had but it ended around this time). Without any specific spoilers I like how they managed to portray everyone as real, it was a bit awkward how they showed Fareeds past at this point and so quickly but it's justification enough for most of his actions. Ditto for Mika, while he's still kinda flat it makes sense in a way considering his past and present, he didn't have time to develop, he was a tool used by others for the majority of his life, even if they cared for him, that kind of stuff can fuck up a child and that's pretty much one of the big themes of the series.

Anyways, to cut my rambling short, I'm very excited to see how it'll finish, and at the same time rather scared. They had more than their share of gutwrench in the past several episodes and I have this sinking feeling that we're in for a bit more of that and that the series is going to end on a rather bittersweet note. Which is fine and probably the best way to do it, but I don't have to like it even if it is so :V
AS - IG

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #30026 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:19 pm »

So, Iron Blooded Orphans is good? I watched a few episodes when they were first coming out then kinda forgot about it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30027 on: February 21, 2017, 06:55:29 am »

I really like it. I haven't seen most anime that's well liked around here though, and I like some that are pretty disliked. I've only heard good things about Iron-Blooded Orphans though, so I don't think it's just me.

Speaking of, just finished the latest episode. All caught up!

EDIT: They lied to me, the thumbnail for the next episode still says Coming Soon but it's really up. And the next episode probably is too if it's weekly.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:36:35 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30028 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:28 am »

Thanks to whoever put me onto astro fighter sunred.
That's awesome. (Also the animation might actually be better than one punch man. Comedy genius but not a great mangaka)

Iron Blooded Orphans would definitely get a recommendation from me - and I'm not what I'd call a gundam fan. (I've seen maybe 00 and a little SD and that's it.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:22:43 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30029 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »

So earlier today I was taking a bit of a break and felt like watching something before remembering I grabbed a few episodes of Youjo Senki a while back and never got to them.

The premise was kinda interesting and what the hell, there's not many WW1 shows of any kind that I'd watched. It's pretty nice so far, nothing too amazing but it's keeping my interest, plus it's a cool setting and the fights are pretty good looking.

Plus, any show that has an episode titled Deus Vult can't be bad.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 2191