Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762624 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30240 on: April 16, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »

Every time people bring up that Mahouka thing I keep thinking it's some sort of elaborate prank or in-joke with all the participants unusually disciplined to keep the charade going.
Mahouka: The Mornington Crescent of bad anime.

"I really liked how in Season 7 he oscillated the oscillations around a Quas-Tertertianary Matrix to stabilize the Parallaxing Non-Convergiances in order to annihilate an alien civilization for calling his sister's brownies 'okay.'"
"Season 8 where he had to sharpen a pencil had way more drama, you could really feel the struggle and determination."

It kind of hits a certain weirdness in terms of what is usually "Super appealing characters" which is... they are a LOT more interesting to chase then they would be in a relationship.

Do you honestly think Tetsuya would be particularly warm, caring, or thoughtful? Mind you I am sure if it happened that he would buy her but a single rose which would cause her panties to vaporize on the spot... But seriously. (Heck I am sure in bed Tetsuya somehow memorized the Kama Sutra and has perfected it... in spite that being against his character... because he is a Mary... err I mean because he is such an erudite)

Trust me lady, you chose the right guy.
Given that he's openly (and bullshittingly) described as having exactly one emotion, that being love for his sister, I would assume any kind of relationship with Tatsuya would basically amount to being a doll for his sister.

"Oh Tatsuya-sempai, what did I ever do to deserve you?!"
"My sister picked you out of a lineup because she thought it'd be cute if I got married. So I did."
"Wow, I'm so lucky!!! So, you wanna, I dunno, interact with me in any way whatsoever?"
"No. Unless my sister says so. Also if you displease her in any way I'll vaporize you for her on the spot."

So basically a loveless hell with a cold monster.

...man, Tatsuya really would make an excellent villain.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30241 on: April 16, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »

Tatsuya feels like a self-insert fan-character in his own series.

Yet if that is true... who is the real main character he usurped?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30242 on: April 16, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »

It's probably Leo. Look at Leo's characteristics and what happens to him

- Academically challenged but determined "nice guy".

- gets beaten up by girls because of accidental pervert misunderstandings.

- has a main power that the audience will clearly think is cool (pummels people with magical black gauntlets), but this power is not respected in-universe, because the gauntlets are previous-gen tech. e.g. he's an underdog who doesn't have the latest gear but wins anyway.

Leo is way more of a typical hero for this sort of show than Tatsuya is. All the little humiliating harem-type gags, the Mahouka author ripped them all off, but he was too precious about widdle Tatsuya being perfect and respected by women, so he made Leo as a vessel to utilize all those sorts of gags.

Seriously, it would require so little change of focus to cast Leo as the protagonist and Tatsuya as the antagonist. Up against the everyman who can't cut a break you have the class prefect who's perfect at everything, gets equipment that's not even released to the public yet, while you're stuck using hand-me-downs, is wealthy and coldly unemotional yet gets all girls, the same girls who Naru-punch mr everyman up into the sky.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 06:16:17 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30243 on: April 16, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »

We've talked about fanservice in this thread before so

Although I generally don't have a problem with innocuous nudity in my anime, I've come across something which does strike me as egregious and unsavory. There's too much ass and panties in Renai Goukun's OP. Eight frames of sparkling ass is all well and good, although the artstyle exaggerates it a bit much, but fourty-fucking-six frames of panties, where the chick's ass is the whole screen? I like body positivity and all that, but that's not what this is. It's fucking tasteless.

I ain't dropped the show as of now though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30244 on: April 16, 2017, 11:55:04 pm »

I will say... slowly over time... the way women are treated in Fanservice...

It is slowly... inch by inch... becoming a sort of body horror for me.

I still remember that episode of the "trapped in a videogame world" anime where the Succubus couldn't stop playing with her huge boobs... But her boobs were like not only excessively shiny but excessively plastic like they were literally filled with water and that water retreated into her body when she squeezed it... It just... It was disturbing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30245 on: April 17, 2017, 12:19:30 am »

We've talked about fanservice in this thread before so

Although I generally don't have a problem with innocuous nudity in my anime, I've come across something which does strike me as egregious and unsavory. There's too much ass and panties in Renai Goukun's OP. Eight frames of sparkling ass is all well and good, although the artstyle exaggerates it a bit much, but fourty-fucking-six frames of panties, where the chick's ass is the whole screen? I like body positivity and all that, but that's not what this is. It's fucking tasteless.

I ain't dropped the show as of now though.

It is a parody of harem series as much as Death Note, no surprise that it's doing an over-the-top pisstake of the otaku siren song.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30246 on: April 17, 2017, 12:23:13 am »

What marks it as a parody is such things as when the big-boob girl was introduced. Her boobs were bouncing in an alarming/off-putting way rather than a sexy way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30247 on: April 18, 2017, 08:35:47 am »

I have to say...

Both SAO Abridged and "Why SAO is a bad game" came up with good explanations for the villains actions.

SAO abridged is particularly fascinating as a concept... in that

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30248 on: April 18, 2017, 08:37:49 am »

If he was just legitimately making a game, how did he not kill anybody during testing?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30249 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:26 am »

If he was just legitimately making a game, how did he not kill anybody during testing?

It was because the game was rushed (very reasonable given this is a launch title... for a system... that has been out for months) and thus a lot of glitches were added to the game.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30250 on: April 19, 2017, 12:44:44 am »

Back on the subject of incest, Eromanga-Sensei seems like a really well-put together take on the thing. Maybe it'll break down quickly, but at least so far it's a good drama.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30251 on: April 19, 2017, 04:30:56 am »

tbf, the guy did write Oreimo, and while kirino is shit tier waifu, at least the guy didn't pull a not-blood-siblings schtick on the elephant in the living room.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30252 on: April 19, 2017, 12:55:23 pm »

I will say... slowly over time... the way women are treated in Fanservice...

It is slowly... inch by inch... becoming a sort of body horror for me.

This. Not so when I was a kid, but definitely in the last 8 years or so. If I otherwise like the show (and man does it get shoe-horned into a lot of otherwise really good stuff!) I try laughing at the absurdity to cope with that gross wtf feeling? And when it's used for comedy, or it's just aiming for "sexy" as a character design without going weird and over the top with it, it's all good. But, when you get the sense that it's not done in a self aware way? Or it's all skeevy pandering, or rapey/molesty but treated like it's okay, or veers into that exaggerated lingering male-gazey way? It's a pretty major squick factor, and instant turn off on a series.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30253 on: April 19, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »

If it's fun, and most importantly: well done, cool. Stuff like To Love Ru and whatnot where it's basically an excuse for a guy who would be a good hentai artist to do stuff that gets a wider audience and there's the silly "pervy superpower" thing ('I can't believe you tripped, pulled down her panties, fell down a staircase while undressing her, and landed face first in my lap again!') so it's not a case where you're going to get away with the "oh no, I watch it for the cerebral storyline and plot development" excuse because everyone knows you're actually after the PLOT bouncing around all over the place. Same with Keijo!!!!, Valkyrie Drive, Monsume, and so forth.

On the other hand you have stuff like Kaleid*, you're sitting there like "ok, I shouldn't be watching this right? am I gonna get in trouble?" and then suddenly alt!Shirou shows up, spews tragic badassery and backstory allll over the place, and now you're in the awkward position of trying to explain to other people why it's actually not just a pervy fanservice fest...

*the transparent text coming up is spoilery and such

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30254 on: April 19, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »

Stuff like Kaleid is the worst, though, because it's got some great material but would probably get you v& if you watched it anywhere near other people. Why the hell can't they make stories without the pedobait/incest fetishization/whatever else? The basementdweller otaku audience can't be that profitable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2015 2016 [2017] 2018 2019 ... 2191