Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2801299 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30585 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:29 pm »

Waaaaait, looking at that chart, what you're saying is I should have been making seasonal anime charts with Vinland Saga, The Breaker, God of High School, a Kenichi: The Final Act/Brotherhood/etc show since it ended, everything Nihei ever touched, To You, The Immortal, Dungeon Meshi, Goblin Slayer, uh... Otome no Teikoku >.>, oh and an alternate universe version of Bleach where Kubo did the stylish character designs, Kishimoto handled fleshing out the detailed background work and most of the writing with regular input on story arcs and such from Oda, so the plot still ends up seeming like it doesn't make sense and then like 300 chapters later everything clicks into place and you're like goddamn Oda is the man, and why did anyone ever let Mr. *teleports behind you for the 398th time before whispering 'the heart' and adjusting his shades* Kubo handle it?

I mean, I'm not sure if you folks read One Piece, but the newest chapter (fucking 839 I think?) was holy shitto, between the super sentai germa double-6 group transformation/strawhat assist, the circle-strafing castle mecha dude getting his attempt at finishing off big mom with a cannon barrage nope'D before big mom snapped out of her psychotic break triggered by the breaking of the last picture she had of the evil ass child slaver who adopted her and pretended to care for her before being accidentally eaten at big mom's sixth birthday party along with everyone else who was there, causing her to flip right the hell out at this dude who looks kinda like Al Capone, while everyone else is sitting there wishing they'd spent some more time leveling up because their warp scroll got smashed, their backup ride got booted, and they're now facing the prospect of being beaten to death by one of four "special" bosses and their underlings.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30586 on: June 16, 2017, 05:30:22 am »

Dang... I forgot how great the music was in .hack

Say what you will about the shows REALLY REALLY slow pacing (and I like cerebral shows... but whoa can that show stretch even that patience)... The music is definitely a plus

---

Also watching Full Time Magistrate on a whim.

I am starting to kind of understand what Elitism is and why it can be a serious problem if it is allowed to run rampant.

So the students, IF, they are able to use magic by the year's end go to the elite class where they can use the special equipment. This isn't the "Elitism" yet since this equipment is only really helpful to people who can cast magic.

However the top three students get to use the equipment many times longer than the other students.

So you have a system where someone who shows a lot of promise early on ALSO is given many times the resources to succeed. While everyone else is given less.

ODDLY ENOUGH, this show isn't blind. It seems to be fully aware of how unfair it is. It just doesn't really raise a stink. It is a sort of mix between accepting that it is a prize or accomplishment to be a member of the elite, but fully aware that the accolades of being an elite on its own gives you an unfair advantage over those bellow you, and presents those both as just a sort of the way things are, an obstacle to be overcome rather than torn down.
-Not that it doesn't bring up elitism in other ways. Yet it seems to be more about Elitists abusing those below them, than about the system creating them. SOOO FAR!

Yet another interesting aspect is WHY is it like that. Well the training equipment is expensive and the school can only really afford three.

On the plus side other then instant expulsions for failing grades (but, it SEEMS that if you fail it means you REALLY weren't trying. In fact the first examination is fairly lenient), this show doesn't give penalties for being far in the back. Only the top three students have the advantage, otherwise everyone else is on an even playing field (unless your super rich and can afford your own training equipment... In which case AUSTERITY AWAAAAY!). Which I am glad for, I understand it is social commentary but It really bugs me when the "Super elite school" seemingly abuses their lesser students.

Mind you the anime... isn't very good... But "not good" doesn't mean I can't gleam something from it. (And it did have one pretty funny joke!)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:00:51 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30587 on: June 18, 2017, 12:55:58 pm »

... huh. Latest translated gamer chapter (178?). No clue if the translation is entirely accurate, but. Shoggoth. Straight up shoggoth. Literal, actually named exactly that, shoggoth. Can't say I was expecting that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30588 on: June 18, 2017, 01:08:53 pm »

Really surprised at how much I'm still digging Vinland Saga. Liking Hild and Gudrid as characters so far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:41:48 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30589 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:10 am »

Bah, I saw somewhere saying that Re:Creators was somewhat similar to attack on Titan/zero so I watched it.  Only 1 real death.

That magic girl took them hits like a champ though.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30590 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:25 am »

Just finished Dragon Maid and jumped straight into Non-Non Biyori so we know what parts of it I liked.

Frankly, maybe the only part which really ticked my boxes. That and every male being a stern-faced soft-hearted moustachioed beacon of fetishised masculinity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #30591 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:15 am »

fetishised masculinity.
YOU CALLED?
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30592 on: June 19, 2017, 12:14:28 pm »

Fetish implies deviation, hence, deviant.

Applying standard sexual tropes to it, then, would be the opposite.
Try again next time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:15:59 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30593 on: June 19, 2017, 12:37:31 pm »

Fuck you Ikari
One can fetishize things that are considered normal. There is a great variety of spectacular kinks that include fixations upon singular objects and traits, most due to association with sexual acts. One can focus upon certain aspects of masculinity and, in a manner easily described as "Deviant", fetishize it.

Checkmate, Bin't'ch
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30594 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:59 pm »

Indeed they can, however, no part of the contextual sentence was pointing at all towards your deliberate misinterpretation.
Which was a misinterpretation. Even if the rainbow parade features into this, bears only come in black and grey, after all.

Just like you misinterpreting what a 'checkmate' is.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30595 on: June 19, 2017, 02:54:09 pm »

And thus the joke hath gone on too long, and I quickly bow out in the name of sanity. Good day, sir.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30596 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:57 am »

"You're watching anime wrong". An in depth look at the sub vs dub debate. (Actually it's a good laugh and not quite what you are expecting)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rd5w3CAapE

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30597 on: June 20, 2017, 06:56:19 am »

He's not wrong. I've seen people unironically request a link to the Japanese dub of RWBY.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30598 on: June 20, 2017, 07:06:48 am »

For me...

Great Dub > Sub
Sub > Mediocre Dub

Yeah I am not Japanese but that is an advantage.

Not that there arn't exceptions to this... Inuyasha? Can't stand it in Japanese (Though the Dub is great). Excel Saga? annoying as heck in English (Plus, to be honest... There is a lot to admire in the Japanese voice acting)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:13:55 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30599 on: June 20, 2017, 07:09:17 am »

Oh i just had to search for this one, from the Tomodachi wa Mahou anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgcUouZlytU
Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 2191