Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2800504 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31365 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:06 am »

The Madoka Magica ending song[Magia] is very intense, could be construed as sad sounding and features silhouettes of the characters.That's all that comes to mind.
Okay, I've been wondering this for five years so I've gotta ask: why do you use brackets in place of parentheses?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31366 on: July 11, 2018, 11:09:29 am »

Today I got "schooled" by some visiting American dude at a meetup about not being with-it in regards to anime (because I'd mentioned Macross/Gundam). He pointed out that I'm into the old shit and therefore imply he's of the generation into the hip new animes. So I asked him for examples of the modern animes he likes, and got "Naruto" and "Bleach" as the only examples. Le sigh. I then mentioned I don't like those types of shows, and that one of the reasons is that they're so long. The he said "all animes are getting like that these days". Le sigh. This is the walking example of how the Dunning-Kruger effect works.

If there's anything that repels and disgusts anime fans, it's other anime fans.

Anime fans are hipsters
Love, scriver~

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31367 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:06 am »

Today I got "schooled" by some visiting American dude at a meetup about not being with-it in regards to anime (because I'd mentioned Macross/Gundam). He pointed out that I'm into the old shit and therefore imply he's of the generation into the hip new animes. So I asked him for examples of the modern animes he likes, and got "Naruto" and "Bleach" as the only examples. Le sigh. I then mentioned I don't like those types of shows, and that one of the reasons is that they're so long. The he said "all animes are getting like that these days". Le sigh. This is the walking example of how the Dunning-Kruger effect works.

If there's anything that repels and disgusts anime fans, it's other anime fans.

Anime fans are hipsters
I feel like there are lots of people, maybe more these days due to the internet and the rise of snark, who cannot accept other people having a different opinion. 

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31368 on: July 11, 2018, 11:25:39 am »

I can accept other opinions, but "le sigh" is a step too far

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31369 on: July 11, 2018, 11:30:20 am »

Oh yeah new season of Overlord starting up. Can't wait to mock the show like it's trash while also loving it unironically.

And after the longest wait ever, I've finally finished Zero Time Dilemma. Really loved it, though I still feel blue balled by the ending.

Have you played Virtue's Last Reward? ZTD was disappointing in comparison but the puzzles were still cool.

edit: i forgot the name of the games
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:31:57 am by Caz »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31370 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:38 am »

Looks like they've gotten around to animating the next part of JoJo.
Part 5's got some kickass fight scenes.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31371 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:04 pm »

The Madoka Magica ending song[Magia] is very intense, could be construed as sad sounding and features silhouettes of the characters.That's all that comes to mind.
Okay, I've been wondering this for five years so I've gotta ask: why do you use brackets in place of parentheses?

Sadly, the answer is disappointing. I was once in a group chat where, for whatever reason, I was enclosing all of my text in parentheses. One of my friends asked me to stop enclosing my text in parentheses. So I started enclosing all my test in square brackets instead to be cheeky. I kept substituting them for a while afterwards as an in joke and it eventually just became the way I typed. There's also the fact that my handwriting is awful and my square brackets are significantly more legible then my parentheses.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31372 on: July 11, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »

I do it because raws.

Just like I name every single thing on my computer with underscores_instead_of_spaces so I can reference it later and not confuse whatever program I'm using in my subconscious.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:37:51 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31373 on: July 11, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »

Sadly, the answer is disappointing. I was once in a group chat where, for whatever reason, I was enclosing all of my text in parentheses. One of my friends asked me to stop enclosing my text in parentheses. So I started enclosing all my test in square brackets instead to be cheeky. I kept substituting them for a while afterwards as an in joke and it eventually just became the way I typed. There's also the fact that my handwriting is awful and my square brackets are significantly more legible then my parentheses.
But nobody here knows about the injoke. Furthermore, square brackets have an existing meaning; they represent text edited from the original for clarity—a missing word added in or a pronoun changed to match the rest of the sentence, generally. For example, if you wanted to use this quote
"I'm not really fan of that."
you might insert the "a", assuming it was intended.
"I'm not really [a] fan of that."

Basically what I'm saying is submit to standardized grammar, peon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31374 on: July 11, 2018, 04:38:54 pm »

You guys are misunderstanding. This guy wasn't an anime fan, he was a casual viewer who took it upon himself to "educate" me, in quite a rude fashion. He was talking down to me quite severely.

the "le sigh" wasn't because he likes Bleach and Naruto, it's because he literally didn't know anything else existed, yet decided he knew enough to lecture me in a high-handed fashion about it.

The attitude is the "le sigh", not the shows. Bleach and Naruto are relevant only in that it revealed he literally had no idea about any animes that came out in the last 15 years yet was blabbering about being "modern", and loudly telling me, in front of a group of people that I just needed to get with the times. The "all animes are long now" part just made it clear that he literally didn't know anything else even exists. I doubt even even knew SAO or Attack on Titan exist.

Again, this was not a matter of taste because he only knew about the existence of exactly those two shows, thus taste couldn't even factor in. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect: some ignorant person loudly running off their mouth and speaking down to people who actually know a little more about the topic. It's classic dunning-kruger in that he had so little knowledge he lacked any understanding of the scope of what he didn't know. He just assumed beach/naruto is what all modern fans watch. Maybe he's vaguely aware that some other exist, pethaps a dozen or do.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:10:43 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31375 on: July 11, 2018, 06:43:14 pm »

You guys are misunderstanding.
I parsed that as poking fun at the fact that you unironically used the phrase "le sigh", rather than the context in which you did so. Although if course, it's possible that I only saw that because I was already thinking it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31376 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:48 pm »

I parsed that as poking fun at the fact that you unironically used the phrase "le sigh"
yup

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31377 on: July 12, 2018, 12:22:39 am »

I parsed that as poking fun at the fact that you unironically used the phrase "le sigh"
yup
That phrase has never, in the history of the internet, been used seriously.

On-topic, why is the steven universe scheduling so shit. I need episodes!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31378 on: July 12, 2018, 04:53:15 am »

Let's do another "that's not anime" debate right here right now
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31379 on: July 12, 2018, 05:57:33 am »

Oh yeah new season of Overlord starting up. Can't wait to mock the show like it's trash while also loving it unironically.

And after the longest wait ever, I've finally finished Zero Time Dilemma. Really loved it, though I still feel blue balled by the ending.

Have you played Virtue's Last Reward? ZTD was disappointing in comparison but the puzzles were still cool.

edit: i forgot the name of the games

I did play VLR, but it was so long ago I had to wiki up on some of the facts because I just couldn't remember. But yeah I agree that VLR had a better plot twist. Moreover, it didn't suffer from being the last game in the series, and therefore in ZTD there's a literally neverending number of loose-ends that aren't tied up because of the nature of the gimmick of the game. Moreover, I feel ZTD went full Homestuck with how bullshit some of it is. I think Kotaro Ochikushi and Andrew Hussie should just hook up and have a child with how much they both love closed time loop paradoxes.
Pages: 1 ... 2090 2091 [2092] 2093 2094 ... 2191