Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2807674 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31395 on: July 16, 2018, 02:46:44 pm »

I mean, they're just aliens right? I never needed more explanation than extraterrestrial myself.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31396 on: July 16, 2018, 03:17:16 pm »

Most likely aliens, yes. The only problem is that they basically just dropped out of the sky, not landed in a UFO or whatever.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31397 on: July 16, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »

Most likely aliens, yes. The only problem is that they basically just dropped out of the sky, not landed in a UFO or whatever.

I made a quick online search to see what I could find, and the only thing is a vague author interview that suggested they were actually terrestrial in origin, meaning either man-made or birthed from the Gaia spirit or some shit. I was CERTAIN that they were basically an alien civilization's pre-invasion weapon to soften up a planet before moving in to steamroll. Like, maybe waging war on a planet, even one only harboring a species that is vastly technologically inferior, is just logistically infeasible. So the aliens just invent weapons that have massive bang-for-your-buck against intelligent, carbon-based lifeforms, so you can be more economical than what an exterminatus-style weapon would entail. Like, just sprinkle a couple million of these evil bodysnatcher eggs onto a planet, wait a decade or so, come back to find a totally collapsed and demoralized species that is practically begging to be taken over and ruled by an alien tyrant just so they can be free of these cannibal doppelgangers that are everywhere.

I'd have also have liked to see how other countries responded to the parasites. We heard that these things were all over the world, be we really only got to see Japan, which handled it in a very controlled and conscientious manner... and I don't imagine things going that smoothly in America, Africa, Russia, or fucking anywhere else. Devilman Crybaby was on the other end of the spectrum, where just everybody in the world lost all their shit immediately, and went full fuck-everybody and societal collapse was immediate and complete from the getgo at the emergence of the doppelgangers. I thought that was unrealistic in its own way, but Parasyte feels almost saccharinely optimistic despite all the gore and tragedy everywhere.

Honestly, the show honestly felt like author-insert fantasy wank at times, with girls falling for our protag by the droves, evolving almost immediately from scaredy nerd to ultimate sexily fuckable super hunk, jumping from 'basically defenseless' to 'Bruce Lee + Chuck Norris killing machine' in martial ability. I understand that that was basically what happened in Devilman Crybaby and Parasyte is just cribbing that super hard, but in Devilman the message was that the devil inside represented all the raw, animalistic, base urges that exist inside everyone, and those upsides of sexiness and martial strength were the intrinsic upsides of embracing that animalism, while the whole rest of the show was about highlighting the gratuitous and unavoidable downsides of that same animalism, while that message doesn't exist at all in Parasyte...

Moreover, it's very weird that the show went towards the environmentalism message near the end, when the show had a MUCH STRONGER message it was building for the entirety of the show: that the Ayn Rand-ian style selfishness and the dehumanization and devaluing of people in the pursuit of efficacy and efficiency is a miserable way to live and actually a bad survival strategy. The show KINDA looked like it was going for that route near the end, what with the comments of "Oh, looks like WE'RE THE MONSTERS AFTER ALL!" but naw man, protect the Erf, stop plutin the planet, go hug a tree or sumtin yo.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31398 on: July 16, 2018, 09:10:55 pm »

Could also be some sort of spore-spreading aliens. What matters is that they reach some end-stage that squirts spore/asteroids into space to reach other planets, and the actual consciousness/intelligence of the individual aliens is in fact a byproduct of how they spread, like in Selfish Gene theories.

However, all of that was in fact irrelevant to the type of story the author wanted to write.
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/3l5p58/disc_why_did_parasyte_end_the_way_it_did/

rather than typical alien vs. humans, Parasyte focuses more on the way humans see parasytes and the way parasytes see humans and ultimately questions what does it mean to be human.

The fact where the aliens came from didn't matter at all.

No more, and no less than that. Maybe the story could have gone on to be an adventure story where the "true" aliens invade and then there's an arc about that, with all the politics and international drama, but that wasn't the type of story the author set out to write, that wasn't in the "scope" and doing so would have watered-down the concept. Sure, you can add those things and the reader/viewer is free to imagine the story going off into any possible direction, but building that into it would have just eroded what the author in fact set out to do entirely.

I think the core story in Parasyte is about the aliens pretending to be human, and how they understand it in varying ways and to varying levels, as well as the conversation/conflict between the alien way of thinking and the human way of thinking. For that to work best, the aliens knowing nothing of their "origins" actually works better since the aliens are trying to understand human-ness while lacking any point of reference of their own. Going too far off that would have watered-down the concept. The need for action / events already watered that down quite a bit, but you need that to keep people reading it. Similarly, the reason it doesn't go international and look at how the parastyes infect all the nations is that doing so would have eroded it away from being a personal story about the MC and Migi interacting with the other parasytes around them, and how they blend into human society.

I remember Neonivek was good at those things, asking "why didn't XYZ happen in this series, it would have been more realistic", when in fact "XYZ" was completely out of scope of the genre of said work, which someone like Neonivek who thinks a lot about fiction should have been genre-savvy enough to realize. For example, why can't one of the girls in K-On be hit by a car and spend the rest of the season in a coma, with the other girls all visiting the hospital and being all sad and shit? Well, it would be "realistic" because things like that do happen. But it would be completely outside the scope of the "school slice-of-life comedy" genre, so it just can't happen. Genres matter, and strongly constrain the scope of where a story is allowed to go. A slice-of-life comedy story can't have such a "crisis" happen, because if it could then it would retroactively be a story about said crisis, and not a comedy at all. Similarly, if you have an action series, and the characters decide to settle down and from that point on, it's a slice of life drama story about domestic living, viewers would flip their shit despite it being perfectly "realistic" that people do decide to just chill for a while.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:39:08 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31399 on: July 16, 2018, 09:34:31 pm »

I remember Neonivek was good at those things, asking "why didn't XYZ happen in this series, it would have been more realistic", when in fact "XYZ" was completely out of scope of the genre of said work, which someone like Neonivek who thinks a lot about fiction should have been genre-savvy enough to realize. For example, why can't one of the girls in K-On be hit by a car and spend the rest of the season in a coma, with the other girls all visiting the hospital and being all sad and shit? Well, it would be "realistic" because things like that do happen. But it would be completely outside the scope of the "school slice-of-life comedy" genre, so it just can't happen. Genres matter, and strongly constrain the scope of where a story is allowed to go. A slice-of-life comedy story can't have such a "crisis" happen, because if it could then it would retroactively be a story about said crisis, and not a comedy at all. Similarly, if you have an action series, and the characters decide to settle down and from that point on, it's a slice of life drama story about domestic living, viewers would flip their shit despite it being perfectly "realistic" that people do decide to just chill for a while.

I've heard that's becoming a bit of an issue with Watamote these days (that said I haven't read the latest manga volume yet, it isn't in english yet).  Since the main character basically has a group of friends now, more or less the original conflict of the series is resolved.  People are worried its becoming more and more a strange harem series or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31400 on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:01 pm »

TvTropes has an entry "Genre Shift" about that, but there's a less-used term "Genre Creep" which I think is more expressive for the ones where it just creeps up on you and you realize that the thing you're reading/watching is not the thing you signed up for. Questionable Content webcomic comes to mind. Started out as a comic about a couple of early 20-something dudes, indie music and a couple of girls / potential love interests. Now, it's about trans-sex, robo-lesbians and lesbians in general. Maybe one of these days they'll get back to the straight relationships, mainly because just about everyone coded as female has already been paired off with other characters.

However, some stories' core premise is going to be inherently more stable than others. In Watamote's case, the status-quo from before couldn't really survive the adding of more characters for her to communicate with. Haven't read the thing btw, only seen the anime, so don't quote me on that, I'm basing it off what you said.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:54:30 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31401 on: July 17, 2018, 04:32:42 am »

TvTropes has an entry "Genre Shift" about that, but there's a less-used term "Genre Creep" which I think is more expressive for the ones where it just creeps up on you and you realize that the thing you're reading/watching is not the thing you signed up for. Questionable Content webcomic comes to mind. Started out as a comic about a couple of early 20-something dudes, indie music and a couple of girls / potential love interests. Now, it's about trans-sex, robo-lesbians and lesbians in general. Maybe one of these days they'll get back to the straight relationships, mainly because just about everyone coded as female has already been paired off with other characters.

However, some stories' core premise is going to be inherently more stable than others. In Watamote's case, the status-quo from before couldn't really survive the adding of more characters for her to communicate with. Haven't read the thing btw, only seen the anime, so don't quote me on that, I'm basing it off what you said.

I suppose my ultimate beef with Parasyte was that as we got nearer and nearer to the end, the actual dynamics of the story got corrupted by this environmentalist viewpoint that honestly had no business being anywhere and felt very forced. It was like the story transformed with shapeshifting powers from an actual deep narrative into a two-bit propaganda piece. If you've read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", it was kinda like that: there was this deep and interesting story going on, and then that gets slowly negated in favor of "Well, if I have the audience's attention up to this point, I guess I can abuse my position as author to grandstand about social issues!" which badly devalues and corrupts the entire work. I feel that this is was happened to Parasyte in the eleventh hour of the show, there were all these story threads and themes that were genuinely interesting, and then the show just forgot about all of them to preach some bullshit. I felt like Hitoshi Iwaaki wanted his work to be profound and influential, but in TRYING to be profound and influential, he achieved the exact opposite and made it trite and stupid instead.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31402 on: July 17, 2018, 12:12:37 pm »

Yeah I actually stopped halfway through because a friend said “trust me, the trainwreck starts here.”

The similarities to devilman are popping out pretty drastically now though.

Edit: ITT
[Parasyte], which handled it in a very controlled and conscientious manner...
People who are good at Mafia

Devilman Crybaby, where just everybody in the world lost all their shit immediately
People who are bad at Mafia
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:17:48 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31403 on: July 17, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »

why can't one of the girls in K-On be hit by a car and spend the rest of the season in a coma, with the other girls all visiting the hospital and being all sad and shit?

it just can't happen.

Never doubt the power of truck-kun, the harvester of souls
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31404 on: July 20, 2018, 09:56:55 am »

Oh boy, they're bringing back Broly for the new Dragon Ball Super movie.

His power is maximum

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31405 on: July 20, 2018, 11:05:44 am »

why can't one of the girls in K-On be hit by a car and spend the rest of the season in a coma, with the other girls all visiting the hospital and being all sad and shit?

it just can't happen.

Never doubt the power of truck-kun, the harvester of souls
Truck-kun doesn't tend to leave survivors, though. When truck-kun shows up, it's isekai time, not coma time.

... also I just now notice that was three days ago. The intermittent fever tells me not to care.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31406 on: July 20, 2018, 11:09:00 am »

It’s my fault. I posted truck-kun and he ran over the thread
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:12:54 am by TamerVirus »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31407 on: July 20, 2018, 11:10:21 am »

I tried out Tanya the Evil, and the premise of the show is basically "Japanese salaryman dies and is reincarnated in another world where he becomes an evil magical girl" and for some reason, in my mind, I got it backwards and thought the premise was "Evil magical Girl dies and becomes a Japanese Salaryman" which I thought was way more interesting.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31408 on: July 20, 2018, 11:26:37 am »

I got it backwards and thought the premise was "Evil magical Girl dies and becomes a Japanese Salaryman" which I thought was way more interesting.

I'd definitely watch that over the standard isekai one.

There was one called Blood Lad, which I swore was going to do a "Devil is a Part Timer" thing where the magical-world people go to the real world. They spent a lot of effort at the start of the series building towards how they could find this portal or somesuch to the human-realm as if that was meant to be the main plot. Then, they get there, do basically nothing, and 1-2 episode later, end up back in the magical world. It just seemed like the author changed his mind midstream about the focus of the series because he couldn't think up enough cool stuff for the them to do in the real world, once they got there. Perhaps it was Executive Meddling because the manga wasn't pulling in the readers - note the manga for this came from before Devil Is a Part Timer, so they might have viewed the basic premise as more risky than they would now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:38:35 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #31409 on: July 20, 2018, 02:11:47 pm »

MEANWHILE, AT BANDAI

Spoiler: LARGE IMAGE (click to show/hide)

http://www.twgram.me/media/1827492189283125767_222551450

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/dfes/#point09

Quote from: google translate
"In the BANDAI SPIRITS Hobby Division, development is proceeding daily to realize the "Gundam Model" as part of the future development of Gundam .
I am imaging the world view of "Gundam Build Divers", scan the created Gundam, and aim to do a Gundam simulation battle in virtual space.
This time, we released "Gundam Model Battle Laboratory" to THE GUNDAM BASE TOKYO here so that we can release the current research situation specially for a limited time and actually experience it.
Please take this opportunity to feel a part of the future of Gundam."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 2191