Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2095 2096 [2097] 2098 2099 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804691 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31440 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:17 am »

If you watch the opening of the first ep of Dominion on youtube it definitely feels like a commentary on that.

Dominion is only an OVA series so they're aren't too many episodes. Mad Bull 34 and Gunsmith Cats are also worth checking out for 1980's era cop/crime OVAs.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:36:44 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31441 on: August 14, 2018, 07:05:56 am »

Patlabor is probably in that general area of things too, innit? I've never actually watched it, but it has giant robots and I seem to recall it being police related.

... also checking says it was apparently one of the influences for Pacific Rim (which I also haven't watched ahaha) so hey.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31442 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:12 am »

Patlabor is probably in that general area of things too, innit? I've never actually watched it, but it has giant robots and I seem to recall it being police related.

... also checking says it was apparently one of the influences for Pacific Rim (which I also haven't watched ahaha) so hey.
Yep. Patlabor is basically mechs as mundane heavy equipment, falling far off on the "real" side of the real/super spectrum. They started using them in construction and heavy industry, and when criminals started using them for crimes, the police armed up in response.  It's much more of a comedy than a serious show, more akin to Dominion Tank Police or You're Under Arrest than bizarre or Eva-like, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

And yes, there are also military mechs.  Soviet Russia comes through again, not to mention spoilers.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #31443 on: August 14, 2018, 02:39:21 pm »

Spoiler: Big wordy list im so sorry

Don't be sorry, it was a very good list. Makes it hard to come up with much else that hasn't been mentioned:
So.

Giant mecha.

What's worth watching? If it's bizarre or Evangelion-esque, that's just great.

everything

Furtuka, you're a giant among men! This is a great list and I'm going to dive in right away. This'll be a big step up from the trash I've been watching recently, that's for sure...

Ah shucks, thanks. Happy to be of service.

There's also a new mecha anime on the block: Planet With.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/planet-with

I've not watched it yet, but it has some big names working on it, so I imagine it'll be pretty good.

Planet With is turning out pretty good right now. Weird as hell, but in an interesting and entertaining way that keeps you curious as to whats gonna happen. I really like how the initial presentation at the start plays it off as a sentai story told from the perspective of the dark rival/sixth ranger character.

The other mecha series airing right now besides that, Zoids Wild, and Shinkalion is Juushinki Pandora, which is probably the most Kawamori show Kawamori has ever made. It's a super weird hybrid show taking place in post-apocalyptic china and its like, super mediocre in terms of plot but at the same time the main cast is really charming.

I'd just like to add that, personally, I'd reccommend Iron Blooded Orphans over Gundam 00. Mostly because it avoids the gundam curse of the shitty/batshit insane second season. It's not as strong as the first one mind, but it's good solid stuff. Also a bit more mature in certain aspects, and a lot more darker in others.

Eh personally my feelings on IBO are really mixed cause I found it to not have lived up to its full potential due to trying too many ideas at once to the point that they couldn't be developed to the fullest, and the issues the staff had in production were super messy, but opinions opinions.

My main thing is that I don't like recommending it as an Intro To Gundam show because the themes presented by some parts of the second season and its epilogue I find at odds with Tomino's original intentions when creating the franchise, and the tug of war between some of the staff members cause some odd thematic and narrative disjointedness at various points that make it feel unfocused, and at a couple of moments even at odds with itself at what its trying to say. 00 isn't perfect, there's more than a few decisions that really could have been done better and the kind of issues the movie tried to deal with would have been better presented as a novel or an OVA than a singular movie, but it has a lot of depth to the story when analyzed and a portion of the issues with the second season won't be much of a problem to a first time Gundam watcher compared to someone who's seen the familiar patterns before.

IBO's more of a Battletech story than a Gundam story in a lot of ways. Not that that's a bad thing, but it causes a dissonance that holds it back at times. I do like the concept of the PD timeline, just it needs more stories in it that can flesh it out piece by piece to take it to its full potential.

Ah! I knew I was forgetting something!

Also on an unrelated note. The G Gundam blu-ray special edition box set was announced to come with a Tequila Gundam shot glass. This is absolutely incredible
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:17:47 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31444 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »

Fafnir is a bit niche but pretty well regarded, by my knowledge. It's pretty dark at times, as such things go, and the overall plot direction is in that general lake of EVA-through-Muv Luv.

Definitely would recommend giving Aquarion a shot, it's satisfying in a weird way. Avoid the fuck out of EVOL.

Likewise, if you're wanting quirky mecha, I'd second Full Metal Panic in a heartbeat. It's what every other action/romance/comedy series orienting around a child soldier/trained-from-birth assassin being hired to protect a schoolgirl wishes it was. The mecha are pretty interesting in how they're implemented, too, and there's a lot of work devoted to ground-level infantry combat.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #31445 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »

Ah dang just remembered another show I meant to list

Majestic Prince
https://myanimelist.net/anime/15863/Ginga_Kikoutai_Majestic_Prince?q=majestic
A massive cliche fest done right. It's about a group of genetically engineered kids tasked with using the mechs they're bonded to to fight off an alien invasion. Very fun and notable for its comedic elements, and the family bonds between the main cast members. Also has some of the best usage of cgi mecha in the industry, avoiding many of the common pitfalls of CGI in anime to produce visual spectacles that don't intrude on the rest of the aesthetics.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31446 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:56 pm »

Some upcoming anime news I know will interest people here:

JoJo Part 5 to air in October

Vinland Saga adaptation to air in 2019

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31447 on: August 22, 2018, 02:18:18 am »

Oh good, I didn't catch the date when I saw they FINALLY decided to right a huge wrong and animate Vinland Saga, plus Goblin Slayer.

Need to do Dungeon Meshi now.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31448 on: August 22, 2018, 08:28:45 am »

Everyone knows Boruto right? Everyone in Naruto, at the very end, decided to just hook up with someone and fuck and make a baby, and that created the sequel series Boruto. The thought just occurred to me, that if Shonen Jump never lets the Naruto franchise die, how many sequel series will it take for all the named characters in Naruto-land to become inbred? Cause there's definitely not a sustainable breeding population of ninja in the series, there's not that many named characters, it's inevitable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31449 on: August 22, 2018, 08:36:39 am »

I have no idea how many characters are involved, but assuming there were 4 female and 4 male characters in gen-1, and that no new characters were mixed in, then each person in gen-2 has two gen-1 ancestors, Gen-3 people will have 4 gen-1 ancestors, and gen-4 would have all 8 gen-1 ancestors. At that point any further generations require inbreeding.

It works out that if you have 2n unrelated characters originally, they can breed together for n more generations before inbreeding must start. If n is fractional, you round down: for example, if you have 6 initial characters (n < 3), then you can say that one couple had 2 kids, the other couples has 1 kid each. Then, the siblings marry the two only-children, but you now have a problem, since everyone's already related when you try and come up with some couples for the next generation. So, with 4 or 6 original characters you can only get 2 additional generations.

I could go into more details if I actually cared to know anything about the Naruto franchise ... which I do not care to find out. Believe It!

EDIT: However, the math also works out that for 2n people you can also control how closely the inbreeding must be. For example, 2 progenitors means your kids must marry a sibling (sometimes refered to as a 0th cousin), 4 progenitors mean your kids's kids must marry a first-cousin (e.g. 2 brothers marry 2 sisters in the second generation, to create a third generation who are first cousins), and I'm pretty sure the pattern continues, so if you have 16 progenitors (2^4), then you can wrangle it so that down the track you're not marrying closer than a third cousin, by generation 5.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:04:46 am by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31450 on: August 22, 2018, 08:50:32 am »

JoJo Part 5 to air in October

I'm really hyped to see how they'll portray the train fight
and how graphic the Metallica fight will be
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31451 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:52 am »

Eh, Naruto world has genetic engineering tech and whatnot, never mind the fairly legit possibility inbreeding doesn't really work for ninja genetics to begin with. The setting could probably get away with Greebo level hijinks (which is to say a father impregnating successive daughters) causing no problems if they particularly felt like it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31452 on: August 23, 2018, 03:44:53 am »

Also, almost every leaf ninja we've seen produces between 0 and 1 children before dying heroically, so I feel like their breeding troubles extend well past initial body count.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31453 on: August 23, 2018, 03:55:42 am »

Leaf ninjas don't breed, they bud. Compost them.

Although they have a bigger problem because Basara might inadvertently eat them.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:57:35 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31454 on: August 23, 2018, 07:29:26 am »

Eh, CrunchyRoll has announced they're making an "original" anime-inspired show. That by itself is notable and could be divisive - the "is it a real anime?" thing, plus the fact that doing it in-house cuts the Japanese studios out of the business. Previously, CrunchyRoll has helped fund some actual animes to be made. Now, they're launching their own anime-style content.

It was also announced their original content has an all-female writing team and is run by someone who runs Women in Animation. I thought "well this could spark some of that gender crap that happened to The Last Jedi" where if you don't like it, you're just a Bad White Male. But I thought I might be over-reacting. Maybe they're perfectly reasonable women. After all, My Little Pony has a high number of female writers and it's a great series. ... But then I got a look at the people shown in the promo video, and most of them are SJW protestor looking white women (e.g. obese, half shaved heads, pink hair, big glasses types). Seriously, if you heard there was a show being made by nothing but clones of Anita Sarkeesian you'd be less skeptical of it than I was of this bunch. To put in in Bay12 terms, it's an "anime" made entirely by clones of banned user SmeeProcket.

I mean, you google the name of the new show "High Guardian Spice" and this picture pops up to reassure you the show is in good hands:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
... and she's merely *one* of the pink-hair-and-glasses people who populate the staff.

And through the video, they kept going on with SJW buzzwords like "inclusion" and "diversity" rather than telling us what the new show was actually about. How can it really be "diverse" if all the staff look like they're clones who have the same worldview? And this whole obsession with politically-correct optics and SJW positioning really looks bad for the *actual show*. Have the politics, but FFS don't inject them into your show if you want to entertain people and make inroads into the industry. I'm sure Lauren Faust is a feminist, but she had the good sense to keep that stuff out of her own show.

All I can see from this (from multiple angles) is "trainwreck" and that if it fails to impress, they'll be blaming "white male" anime fans for the flop - making the entire promo be about gender politics instead of story, means that they can laud their own virtues while blaming any failures on "backlash", whereas if they'd merely launched it like a normal show they couldn't do that.

DigiBro referred to the new series as "Tumblr: the anime".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:26:18 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2095 2096 [2097] 2098 2099 ... 2191