Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2097 2098 [2099] 2100 2101 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763773 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31470 on: August 24, 2018, 09:33:17 am »

Plot twist: High Guardian Spice is actually about the delusions of a bunch of high school dropouts after they smoke some tainted synthetic marijuana
This could actually be amazing, Alice in Wonderland or Over the Garden Wall style.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31471 on: August 24, 2018, 10:44:48 am »

I can not support this because that looks like she's supposed to be a dwarf girl but someone has mangled her face. Shaven female dwarf=garbage.
Just close your eyes and insist she's a very confused halfling.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31472 on: August 24, 2018, 11:37:34 am »

-snip-

I'm not going to lie. I saw pink-haired, frilly-dressed girl paired with blue/purple mage and immediately thought that someone decided to make a Madoka parody in the same artstyle. I... Just didn't know expect it to be the actual concept art or whatever for the show. That archer lady looks familiar too but I can't put a name to her.
To be fair, anime often sticks to similar patterns and signals character patterns by hair color. I don't think this is something that would put them below the standard of the typical one-season show.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31473 on: August 24, 2018, 12:12:31 pm »

I'd be more worried by the amount of "boxes" they feel they need to tick. For example, the original artist is transmale, so I'm pretty sure they're going to feel obligated to put some gender-fluid stuff in there for at least one of the major characters. And all the other little cultural nods they think they need to reward the demographic that's probably their core backers. Now, these aren't bad things, but they objectively whittle your core audience down little by little. Just teabagging all skeptics seems to be the current strategy instead of listening to other people.

There's also the question of how they're going to balance anime-style serial structure vs western-style episodic structure, and how many episodes they're going to schedule this thing for. If they're brave, they'll go for an almost 100% serial structure and structure it entirely into story arcs, since if you're trying to capture the anime feel you need all the help you can get. Since it's on a streaming service, and not on TV they can get away with not having to have an episodic structure. So this is one area that they could in fact break away from some of the constraints of those "CalArts" type shows. If it turns out to be entirely made up of 12 minute self-contained episodes, I'd be -_- because they just didn't get it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:21:07 pm by Reelya »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31474 on: August 24, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

To be fair, anime often sticks to similar patterns and signals character patterns by hair color. I don't think this is something that would put them below the standard of the typical one-season show.

Eh, it was less that and more 'This looks so much like her I thought it was a parody at first'. I'm not sure what it says about the quality though.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31475 on: August 26, 2018, 12:30:59 am »

That archer lady looks familiar too but I can't put a name to her.
...It looks like someone took (I think it was Vector's) the old Cacame Awedemnade art and cut the ears round.

Also yeah it's totally fair to judge a show by the advertisements and if the advertisements are full of SJW nonsense it's probably safe to assume the show will be too. If instead of Tumblrinas it had been a bunch of neckbeards in My Little Pony T-shirts talking about how Hitler was great you'd expect it to be racist as fuck, right?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31476 on: August 26, 2018, 12:35:25 am »

If instead of Tumblrinas it had been a bunch of neckbeards in My Little Pony T-shirts talking about how Hitler was great you'd expect it to be racist as fuck, right?

Hmmm, this is actually a really good point. Those same people saying not to pre-judge this based on the appearances and politics of the creators are the exact same people who do things like blacklisting games, comics and shows because say the author retweeted a Trump tweet or something.

While Trump's awful, blacklisting the creative output of half the nation to deal with the cognitive dissonnance isn't really a constructive solution to the political divide. You just ensure the growth of alternative outlets for those creators, outlets over which you have literally zero leverage. For example I heard about some guy subject to an active harassment campaign to destroy a comic he's working on, getting it delisted from the publishers etc, banned in comic book stores etc because he has some links to GamerGate or similar, and not based on the actual content of the comic at all. This will still get published, perhaps self-published, and the controversy has ensured a heap more people have heard of the property than otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:42:52 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31477 on: August 26, 2018, 12:51:58 am »

If instead of Tumblrinas it had been a bunch of neckbeards in My Little Pony T-shirts talking about how Hitler was great you'd expect it to be racist as fuck, right?

Hmmm, this is actually a really good point. Those same people saying not to pre-judge this based on the appearances and politics of the creators are the exact same people who do things like blacklisting games, comics and shows because say the author retweeted a Trump tweet or something.

While Trump's awful, blacklisting the creative output of half the nation to deal with the cognitive dissonnance isn't really a constructive solution to the political divide. You just ensure the growth of alternative outlets for those creators, outlets over which you have literally zero leverage. For example I heard about some guy subject to an active harassment campaign to destroy a comic he's working on, getting it delisted from the publishers etc, banned in comic book stores etc because he has some links to GamerGate or similar, and not based on the actual content of the comic at all. This will still get published, perhaps self-published, and the controversy has ensured a heap more people have heard of the property than otherwise.
On the other hand, nobody really blacklisted Varg Vikernes' game, did they? I mean, somebody probably did, but it mostly took off because he was already known. Crunchyroll is also already known, so I don't know that creating controversy like this will actually do much for them.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31478 on: August 26, 2018, 09:09:43 am »

Ooh yeah, here's something better to focus on now.

21st of December - James Cameron's Gunmm live action adaptation hits cinemas. Given the last thing I dragged myself to the cinema to see was awful, at least I can have one thing to look forward to now.

Added bonus here because the location of Gunmm/Alita was already stated to be the burnt-out wreck of far-future USA, so it should dodge the whole backlash on casting.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31479 on: August 26, 2018, 09:41:26 am »

Y'all just went on for at least a page about tumblr and SJW nonsense, and now you're thinking there'll be no casting backlash? It might not be on the same level as ScarJo being cast as an explicitly Japanese woman, but there's almost certain to be some noise no matter what happens. Some folks will get pissed off over anything.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31480 on: August 26, 2018, 10:33:44 am »

I'm still weirded out by the eyes which is frustrating because the arms were beautiful, like, I wouldn't have them myself because obviously mine would be carved from wood, but if I was going to give a pair of arms to my girlfriend? They'd have those sorts of translucent panels and delicate filigrees.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31481 on: August 26, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »

Yeah, from what I've seen most of the backlash was against their choice to make Alita in anime proportions for no fucking reason whatsoever. Other than that I'm not terribly interested in that thing, because prior anime to live action adaptations have been pretty much utter shit without fail and this one shows no signs of being any different.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31482 on: August 26, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »

I'm still weirded out by the eyes which is frustrating because the arms were beautiful, like, I wouldn't have them myself because obviously mine would be carved from wood, but if I was going to give a pair of arms to my girlfriend? They'd have those sorts of translucent panels and delicate filigrees.
Not to mention that you obviously do not need artificial human arms in order to appear human, because you're a human and not a spider.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31483 on: August 28, 2018, 01:44:21 pm »

Overlord is just the ultimate popcorn anime. I watch every episode the moment it airs, even though I'm happy to let other animes fester on my backburner for weeks or months at a time. I'm just so bummed it only comes out one episode very week. It's like every episode is watching an overpowered cat corner and play with a laughably weak mouse for 20 minutes before finally deciding to kill it in an over-the-top entertaining way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:47:14 pm by JoshuaFH »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31484 on: August 28, 2018, 04:36:15 pm »

I'm that enthusiastic when a new Overlord book comes out, but perhaps because I already know what happens, I don't find myself very invested in the anime. Actually, nothing airing this season is really doing that much for me.

Yeah, the workers arc is competing with the lizard men arc for weakest volume, in my opinion. The arc itself isn't totally pointless, but it spends a lot of time on people and things that are only very indirectly important.

The following is a matter of reading between the lines but is actually hinted at in the first season. I think there's a bit of dialog that alludes to it in the finalé of this season as well, but for the most part, I think this is the kind of detail that's just way less apparent in the anime. That all being the case, I don't know whether this should be considered a spoiler or not, but I'll give it tags anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 2097 2098 [2099] 2100 2101 ... 2191