Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2099 2100 [2101] 2102 2103 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804445 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31500 on: September 17, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »

Uh, but Angel Beats was a TV show first, and that story itself doesn't exist as a manga. (TV-original anime is a thing, and much more common than people give credit for. It's just that TV-originals often don't benefit the media buzz of adaptations, but they are constantly being made. There are 10 TV-original animes in the next season for example).

There are prequel short stories about the founding of the SSS Brigade, written by the original scriptwriter called Angel Beats: Track Zero, and that got adapted into a manga called Angel Beats: Heaven's Door. But they've only officially translated a few volumes of that, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:58:34 pm by Reelya »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31501 on: September 17, 2018, 06:00:12 pm »

...Ah crap, really? I'm too quick to assume it was adapted considering how good it was.

But yeah, Fruits basket is great. Also Ouran High School Host Club is a good choice. Another reverse harem situation for teens.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31502 on: September 17, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »

Angel Beats was scripted by the writers from the Key visual novel company, which explains the writing. They did Clannad, Kanon, Air, Little Busters, Rewrite, Planetarian light novels, all of which have anime adaptations too (plus others but this is what I've seen).  You can see common threads that weave through all of these things. Especially if you finish Little Busters then compare the overall plot to Angel Beats. Also, the anime original Sola was written by one of that cohort, and you can really tell.

Their main goal now is to turn Angel Beats into a huge visual novel. That went on hiatus however because the job is too big and they needed to produce more stuff in the meantime, but I'm betting that if that comes out then someone will end up remaking Angel Beats as a longer anime. It was originally supposed to be 26 episodes. That's why many character's don't have a clear resolution to their story arcs. It really let down the series overall integrity. I'm betting that one day, they end up remaking the whole TV version into a series of at least 26, possibly up to 52 after the visual novel's finished.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:10:28 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31503 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:49 pm »

I’m noticing a distinct lack of full metal alchemist. Do they already have it or is banned for the same reason Harry Potter was?
We don't specifically have it, but a related library does and I'd sorta' rather lean towards newer stuff, heh.

snip
This is great, definitely helped. Cheers!

For the rest, Yona I was eyeballing, fruits basket is somewhere in the system already, and I'll see about checking some of those short stories. Got some suggestions from folks I'm working with to work in (might end up going max 4 volumes per series or somethin', ha), but this stuff's darn useful both for the immediate concern and hopefully later. Thanks, folks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31504 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:01 am »

Their main goal now is to turn Angel Beats into a huge visual novel. That went on hiatus however because the job is too big
Isn't only one part of it out? Out of a planned five?
By the time they actually finish, its gonna be 2025 or something.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31505 on: September 18, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »

Well, my information was out of date:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/31-1/angel-beats-visual-novel-apparently-delayed-indefinitely

The long anticipated visual novel spin-off of key's Angel Beats! multi-media franchise was supposed to finally be on its way, with the "-1st beat-" slated for PC in 2014. Looks like a broad 2014 time frame is being scratched in favor of an even less specific future listing.

The game was originally announced way back in 2010, and was supposed to come out in 2014, with installments every 6 months after that. Clearly, that didn't happen.

They did get the first chapter out in 2015, but after that they've detoured and released two unrelated games, the first of which even got an English release even though Angel Beats 1st Beat hasn't been adapted to English yet like they said it would. So it's clearly a backburner project and there's no news at all about future installments or an English version of the 2015 one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:05:59 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31506 on: September 18, 2018, 12:19:44 pm »

And lo, its consigned to the pile of VNs announced but never releasing

Tsukihime remake never :(
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31507 on: September 19, 2018, 09:56:46 pm »

I've been following Overlord dubbed. Tonight's episode took a disturbingly dark turn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31508 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:17 pm »

Lost in medium translation, maybe? It's been a while since I caught up on overlord, but in the write-y bits there was suggestion things in that direction was on the table pretty early on and consistently, if not heavily emphasized, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31509 on: September 19, 2018, 11:10:02 pm »

I'm not following the progress of dubs or, indeed, the anime. You might need to clarify which part you're at. Is this towards the end of the workers arc?

But yeah, between Demiurge's sheep, Shalltear's general decadence, and Albedo's sister, there's a lot of dark stuff that happens without being delved into too explicitly and I wouldn't be surprised if it were cut.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31510 on: September 20, 2018, 02:14:50 am »

Tonight's episode was the raid on the Tomb of Nazarick.

And yeah, it's been stated plenty of times that our protagonist has lost his empathy, and some of his subordinates have cruel desires. But the actual killing has been pretty much limited to nameless thugs and soldiers, and only when they are actually in the way. This is the first time that I can recall they killed off not one but two characters with well established personalities and backstories, and friends and loved ones who depended upon them. This definitely feels like a whole nother level of explicit cruelty.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31511 on: September 20, 2018, 10:10:50 am »

Hmm...  another suggestion would be Hunter x Hunter.

On a similar note, the manga series is back from yet another vacation.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31512 on: September 20, 2018, 10:42:32 am »

Tonight's episode was the raid on the Tomb of Nazarick.

And yeah, it's been stated plenty of times that our protagonist has lost his empathy, and some of his subordinates have cruel desires. But the actual killing has been pretty much limited to nameless thugs and soldiers, and only when they are actually in the way. This is the first time that I can recall they killed off not one but two characters with well established personalities and backstories, and friends and loved ones who depended upon them. This definitely feels like a whole nother level of explicit cruelty.
So yeah, that's how it goes. The workers arc, besides setting up for volume 9 and the real climax of the season, is mostly there to remind you that those nameless thugs and soldiers (and everyone else) are meant to be people with their own lives and families and all those other things you said. I suppose it seems shocking if you didn't maintain that awareness throughout the anime, and since it's an anime rather than a series of novels, it was harder for them to work in little details and off-hand lines to reinforce one-off characters along the way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31513 on: September 20, 2018, 09:06:57 pm »

Hmm...  another suggestion would be Hunter x Hunter.

On a similar note, the manga series is back from yet another vacation.
Man, I wanted to, but I remember the clown and his amazing gay pedophile text box. Even if it was one of the great usages of text box placements in illustrated literature, I didn't want to try rolling with that for public library babby's first manga section.

... mind you, I'm not 100% on what I did roll with on that sort of front, and may have cut Jitsu wa down to two volumes instead of cutting it entirely after remembering the sneezing stripper, but... whatever. Maybe after a while, once people are used to it existing and we're sure no crazy bible nut is going to try to burn the library down over manga half as risqué as half the shite in the YA section.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31514 on: September 20, 2018, 10:41:25 pm »

Maybe some light novels then. The pictures are probably what clues parents into smutty things in manga.

Just avoid anything with a title beginning with "my little sister ..."

Like, My Little Sister Can Read Kanji. Just get a load of this synopsis for a start:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-little-sister-can-read-kanji/novel-1/.113006

If anything, that's the only one of that genre probably worth the read.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:48:51 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2099 2100 [2101] 2102 2103 ... 2191