Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2806709 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31530 on: October 02, 2018, 05:02:44 pm »

basically trying to take credit for coming up with the idea first.

There was no "trying to take credit". People had the artbook on preorder. The timing is pure coincidence. There's literally no chance that they could have changed what's in an artbook that was released on September 28th based on some meme that started on September 19th.

EDIT: Wow, the number of high profile artists doing fan-art for this is amazing. It includes the author of that chibi dragon maid thing, the author of Dagashi Kashi, the guy who did the remake of One Punch Man, and the creator of Street Fighter character Chun Li.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:12:56 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31531 on: October 02, 2018, 06:01:21 pm »

snip
I see someone's taking a side on the coloration with a bit of cheerful historical revisionism.

... good on you, redhead is clearly the superior version.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31532 on: October 02, 2018, 06:08:11 pm »

On the downside, the seasons of Cells at Work and Overlord are over for the time being, on the upside THUNDERBOLT FANTASY IS BACK BABY YEAH! The action is awesome, the dolls are real, nothing can get in the way of this hype train!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31533 on: October 02, 2018, 06:11:56 pm »

Booette is better! just saying
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31534 on: October 02, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »

Eh, I'unno. So far I think my favorite's been the chomp variation(s). Queen Boo or whatev' is about in line with redhead bowsette. Actual Peachser (Peach genderflipped into bowsette-style lizard cosplay) is pretty impressive, too, tbh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31535 on: October 02, 2018, 06:28:05 pm »

Incoming new RPG for the 3DS:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Sex Change Story

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31536 on: October 02, 2018, 08:04:38 pm »

On the topic of anime, I didn't watch mutch this last season but I thought Asobi Asobase was great.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31537 on: October 02, 2018, 08:07:09 pm »

Is Dragon Prince anime? I liked that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31538 on: October 02, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »

Not technically. All major database/anime list sites stick to definitions such as "anime is: a cartoon, created in Japan, for the Japanese market". This is then interpreted to mean that the show was initially released (or co-produced) in the Japanese language.

I steer clear of the subjective definitions for this reason: say I agree that "cartoons like Avatar are really anime". Then, what about animes that aren't like Avatar? What exactly does that make them? Japan makes so many damn anime that for any possible western show, you can find some anime that it's similar-enough to to the same degree that Avatar is similar to DragonballZ. For example, My Little Pony is a cute 4-girl ensemble episodic slice of life, but the gimmick is that they're ponies. It fits pretty well into the vast "cute girls slice of life" genre. So, it's anime, to me. :) But I think the typical person who dearly wants Avatar to be considered anime would find me calling My Little Pony an anime offensive.

I think it's just healthier for the western shows to be referred to as "animated series".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:58:13 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31539 on: October 02, 2018, 11:37:33 pm »

Sailor Moon only anime
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31540 on: October 04, 2018, 10:48:19 pm »

I was having an argument on another site about fansubs, and to what extent they harm or help the industry. The context was myanimelist has removed the fansubs field from each show, since they're now owned by a Japanese company and have streaming deals with major sites, so it felt inappropriate for them to be promoting pirate sites.

People complained that the industry "owes" fansubbers for making anime popular. However, most scholars agree that the critical period in which fansubs grew anime exposure in the west was from around 1980-1995.

What happened after that was in fact that DVDs started coming out, and it cost them very little to include the Japanese audio plus a subtitle track as an added bonus, making it vastly easier for fansubbers to come along and repackage the material. Plus mass exposure from 1996+ had far more to do with TV adaptations of Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragonball in the first wave, and Toonami / Adult Swim in the second wave than it owes to fansubbers. Sure, fansubbers now increase exposure of some obscure titles that were never release, but how much of that activity actually leads to increased sales? The only people who really care are obsessives who want to see all these obscure things.

So what does the industry now owe to some young kid who subs shows from DVDs and/or by adapting the Crunchyroll subs, and puts them on a torrent site?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:53:12 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31541 on: October 05, 2018, 04:50:49 pm »

Presidential Alert

The first episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind is on Crunchyroll. This is not a drill.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31542 on: October 06, 2018, 08:00:26 am »

God I just seem to have so many awesome new animes to watch.

Hinomaru Sumo seems to be just the thing to scratch my hotblooded shonen itch.

Run with the Wind has caught my attention, as there's clearly some passion and money poured into this first episode about Track and Field running. That's a thing I always keep my eyes open for: anime that are about seemingly boring activities that you'd THINK would be too boring to make a show about, are probably created by people that are so passionate about them that the show will be intensely interesting regardless.

Phoenix Wright season 2 A lot of people didn't like the first season by I loved it. I was very pleasantly surprised to see this one.

I'm still patiently waiting for the next season of OPM, Mob, Yowapedal, Golden Kamui, or March Comes in Like a Lion; any of those would make this season PERFECT.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31543 on: October 06, 2018, 08:50:07 am »

Man I've fallen so far behind. Haven't had much anime watching motivation.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31544 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:21 am »

Man I've fallen so far behind. Haven't had much anime watching motivation.
Same tbh.
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 2191