Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2107 2108 [2109] 2110 2111 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2806374 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31620 on: November 20, 2018, 12:03:26 pm »

Steven Universe is finally returning Dec 17!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31621 on: November 20, 2018, 03:39:37 pm »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31623 on: November 20, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »

but what is anime really
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31624 on: November 20, 2018, 05:25:18 pm »

You know, it's about time we had another 10-20+ page argument on that exact topic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31625 on: November 20, 2018, 05:59:41 pm »

SU had a japanese guest artist once?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31626 on: November 20, 2018, 06:06:25 pm »

You know, it's about time we had another 10-20+ page argument on that exact topic.

Yes! It is what I like most about animes

But can a western anime argument truly be an anime argument
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31627 on: November 20, 2018, 11:52:50 pm »

Anime is just the hip new slang for Japanimation.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31628 on: November 21, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »

But then is Panty and Stockings With Garterbelt an anime even though it's made to parody cartoons? And is ATLA even though it was expressly made with anime in mind?

I've given up on a "true" definition personally. If the creator wants a cartoon they can have a cartoon. If they want an anime, they can have an anime. The line is blurring a little with the latest generation of creators, but it's a nonissue for me since I'm not a purist scrub.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31629 on: November 23, 2018, 09:40:53 pm »

I'm not a purist in the stylistic sense. Japanese creators are free to rip off western styles and Western creators are free to rip off Japanese styles. I just want the term "anime" to have a definition that can be settled on factual information, and not subjective opinion. Because if we go for opinion, it becomes a matter of "majority rules" as to whether e.g. ATLA is considered an anime and Invader Zim is not. So, it goes from being one argument about the definition of anime, into separate arguments about every show that actually exists as to the extent of its "anime-ness".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:05:39 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31630 on: November 24, 2018, 12:42:32 am »

Yeah, but "country of origin" is an unusual qualifier for art, which does not necessarily follow national lines. The better definition is that anime is just any animated thing. The world won't burn down if we call The Simpsons an anime.

And if the problem with that is that we end up confusing people, your definition probably will do so as well, because most people are going to use their own subjective "looks like a duck" definition, and you probably actually won't be able to convince them otherwise. Even though your definition might theoretically cut down on arguments if everyone just accepted it, it actually will do no such thing because you'll need to argue with them to use the more objective definition.

Now, to go back to lurking this thread because I don't actually watch japanese animes.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31631 on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:32 am »

Yeah, but "country of origin" is an unusual qualifier for art, which does not necessarily follow national lines. The better definition is that anime is just any animated thing. The world won't burn down if we call The Simpsons an anime.

I do actually agree with that, and i've in fact made that same argument, that if we let XYZ things be included in the definition, then we need to just let everything in to be consistent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:15:35 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31632 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28:35 am »

Ergo Proxy was mentioned again so I'm just gonna say again that it is probably the best looking anime ever made and if that became the absolute definition of anime I would totes be okay with that.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31633 on: November 24, 2018, 12:04:14 pm »

Yeah, but "country of origin" is an unusual qualifier for art, which does not necessarily follow national lines. The better definition is that anime is just any animated thing.
That's the Japanese use of the word, but as a loan word, it means Japanese animation. So it doesn't make sense to call something like AtLA or Wakfu "anime" just as we wouldn't call an officer's saber a "katana", and the Japanese wouldn't call a female dog "bichii".

As far as art goes, "anime" is all but meaningless anyway. However, saying "Japanese animation" is still more meaningful than saying "animation that looks like it could be Japanese". The former suggests an important foundational zeitgeist that may be absent in the latter. As for specific series that take some degree of inspiration, having a single word is pointless in the first place. Art is by its very nature nuanced; a description must also be nuanced. Therefore it's fine to say that AtLA takes inspiration from the artistic style of Japanese animation, Wakfu takes inspiration from its narrative structures, and Samurai Jack takes inspiration from Japanese myth while being comparatively less influenced by modern Japanese media.

Tl;dr: Cory in the House is the best anime.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31634 on: November 24, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »

Yeah, but "country of origin" is an unusual qualifier for art, which does not necessarily follow national lines. The better definition is that anime is just any animated thing.
That's the Japanese use of the word, but as a loan word, it means Japanese animation. So it doesn't make sense to call something like AtLA or Wakfu "anime" just as we wouldn't call an officer's saber a "katana", and the Japanese wouldn't call a female dog "bichii".
Let's play devil's advocate and extend that metaphor.  If I made a curved sword with a single edge from layered steel worked to remove impurities coated with one of myriad possible variations of clay slurry, heated and quenched multiple times, then progressively polished before being mounted in a long grip, do I get to call that a katana even if I made it in an American instead of a Japanese forge?  Why can I call an officer's saber a saber if it's not Hungarian, since that's where the word and the direct predecessor of that fashion of curved blade originates? 

The problem ultimately is that "anime" doesn't just mean Japanese animation to a lot of people: it's also taken to mean a style of animation that draws significant influence from Japanese styles.  Arguing that "it doesn't mean that because it doesn't mean that" just feels recursive to me, though I must admit that an "I know it when I see it" argument doesn't feel much better from this or a legal standpoint.  Anime as only being restricted to that which is made in Japan (or the ones that are animated in Korean studios, but we'll ignore that entirely) is a very convenient and fixed definition. 

EDIT:
Of course, for the purpose of full disclosure, it's probably worth noting that I'd be fine with "animesque" or "anime-like" works being discussed in an anime thread regardless of a strict definition of anime.  It's no stranger to discuss AtLA or Wakfu in here than it would be to discuss the French co-produced Mysterious Cities of Gold or...what's that strongly western-inspired one...Panty And Stocking, I think. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:05:55 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 2107 2108 [2109] 2110 2111 ... 2191