Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764213 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31650 on: November 28, 2018, 02:07:37 pm »

Well, more than the number of shows, being talked about matters. And these live action anime have generated plenty of discussion. It's not always true that any press is good press, but in cases like this the benefits far outweigh the detriments. After all, one bad show doesn't change the rest of the lineup, and even a bad show benefits from FOMO-based interest. But meanwhile, this kind of thing is putting Netflix into the mouths of people who otherwise might only rely on services like CrunchyRoll, YouTube, or perhaps even more direct competitors like Hulu. If those people think more of Netflix and try it, and then while they're at it try another show or two, then they may wind up renewing the service and becoming regular customers. Even if not many do from this particular endeavor, this kind of hubbub is necessary to keep internet-based companies, which have no real transaction cost involved with leaving, from falling by the wayside and being usurped by other services.

Of course, it would be better if people were talking about it because it was a hit show that everyone wanted to see on its merits, but that's way more expensive to produce consistently. Netflix can't outdo Disney in that area.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31651 on: December 01, 2018, 10:05:18 pm »

I think this latest episode of Gridman cements it as show of the year for me (and this was a damn good year all things considered) because I've yet to see a show do cheesy over the top super sentai style action mixed with some kinda hard hitting stuff at all, let alone done so well. As messed up as Shinjo is, this episode really makes it hard to hate her :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31652 on: December 01, 2018, 10:17:50 pm »

... man, reading through what's been translated of the Made in Abyss manga. Like. It could do without playing prepubescent or nearly so sexuality for jokes. And maybe the occasional dip into guroland. But the bits outside like ten year old nudity/bondage/shotaboners (why that last one actually ends up being a semi-important plot point bloody hell) and organ puree are pretty incredible.

Looking back at parts of the thread that mention it and seeing it called kid friendly blows my mind, though. The anime must be majorly fucking different than the manga.

Seriously though this shit has me pretty conflicted but reading anyway. Sorta' reminds me of Franken Fran on that front, now that I think about it. Swear to the gods, though, if the ruler they broke off up the shotabot's ass ends up being a late story plot point I quit then and there. Chekhov's Pegging is my limit. Also yeah I really do kinda' wish that wasn't an accurate description of something mentioned in the story BUT IT WAS!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31653 on: December 01, 2018, 10:20:43 pm »

I read a fun guro sci-fi manga the other day: Super-Conductive Brains by Kago Shintarou. Apparently he's a guro artist, and this is his more accessible work.

I'd recommend it if you're ok with some gory creepy sci-fi setting and want something short to read. As the name suggests, be ready for a lot of people having the tops of their heads cut off and their brains extracted. That sort of thing. Also, it's definitely not "sexy" but definitely NSFW as well.

It's short stories but set in a particular setting, and what the hell is going on is gradually explained by the end.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:25:03 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31654 on: December 01, 2018, 11:58:03 pm »

Edit: put a spoiler since this seems like one of those trigger warning things, and is also sort of a tangent, pertaining to the anime mostly indirectly.

Looking back at parts of the thread that mention it and seeing it called kid friendly blows my mind, though. The anime must be majorly fucking different than the manga.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:05:07 am by Cruxador »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31655 on: December 03, 2018, 08:51:22 pm »

So I worked my way to Fate Apocrypha now. UBW was brilliant, Zero was pretty good too. This tho, it kinda started good but it's slowly losing me at the halfway mark. It's for the most part just brawling with little to no of the stuff that made the original interesting. An apt comparison would be the sound design in this one, at first I really liked the overblown distortion that followed a big hit, made it drive home how insanely strong it was and all that, but then you realise that every single goddamn hit is going to be using that same fucking noise and it starts to become very irritating and lazy sounding. And the whole show is kinda like that, they took some of the stuff that made the previous ones good and dialed it up to 11 but in the process they pushed out the stuff that made the giant flashy battles actually matter and be something more than mindless brawls. And as much focus is put on the fighting this time around, I can't help but think that despite all the flashyness the choreography and direction is kinda blander this time around :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31656 on: December 05, 2018, 07:56:18 pm »

Apparently, Gunbuster 3 is going to be a thing. No ETA yet.

Also announced Fruits Basket 2019, which I'm sure plenty of people will be interested in.

And Diamond no Ace (baseball manga adaptation) getting another season. That was the one that was supposed to run for only 25 episodes, but kept getting unexpected extended without a break (first, 25 became 50, then 50 became 75, and on the 75th episode they announced season two starting next week). At the 75 episode point however, the next season started with three recap episodes in a row. I think they were running on fumes by that point and ran out of lead time to make episodes. Hopefully for the animator's sake they've properly planned out a schedule this time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:18:22 pm by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31657 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:45 am »

Yeah i’d say Made in Abyss, or at least the anime, is pretty kiddie.
The fact they don’t drop the aesthetic while everything gets grim and body-horror esque is weird
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31658 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:45 am »

Yeah i’d say Made in Abyss, or at least the anime, is pretty kiddie.
The fact they don’t drop the aesthetic while everything gets grim and body-horror esque is weird
Why would it drop its aesthetic? What other aesthetic would it have? It's not that heavily stylized to begin with.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31659 on: December 08, 2018, 09:42:01 pm »

Something like Broodhollow, I'd imagine. Normally cartoony, but things get more detailed and less stylized when there's monsters about. Like your normal newspaper comic style which stars to lean into Silent Hill when things get real.

Broodhollow is good.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31660 on: December 09, 2018, 02:20:40 am »

My only frame of reference is that Madoka Magicka (?) mini series that go into a "scrap book" aesthetic whenever they enter a nightmare.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #31661 on: December 09, 2018, 06:50:59 am »

There are a fair few animes that do odd things with the style, but things like PMMM and Bakemonogatari tend to go pretty all-out on the changes rather than smaller shifts.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31662 on: December 22, 2018, 10:39:59 pm »

Just finished binging Devilman:Crybaby.

It's decadently sinful and brutal, with simple flowing animation that beautifully compliments the theme. The story is one of tragedy and futility, played out in both the micro and the macro. It reminds me of Drakengard, in the best of ways.

Obviously not for everyone. If you can't handle violence or nudity, both gratuitous and plot related; or if you cannot embrace unique styles, or dislike unsatisfying endings, then you should steer clear. But if you're in the mood for a wild ride, come what may, then definitely give Devilman:Crybaby a chance.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31663 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »

I'll second Crybaby, once you get past the unusually simplistic art style it's a great time. Spoilers ahead for some differences between the anime and the manga.

Spoiler: MAJOR SPOILAHS (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31664 on: January 11, 2019, 12:25:17 am »

Speaking of Devilman.. Is there any order I should watch the series, or can I just start with Crybaby without missing out on plot elements?

edit:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:20:37 am by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 2191