Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2764040 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31665 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:21 am »

Is there any order I should watch the series, or can I just start with Crybaby without missing out on plot elements?

Crybaby is a remake of the original manga, and near the start of the chronology, so you're fine starting there.
And yeah, a lot of the weirdness is not explained until the final episode. But there is most certainly a method to the madness.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31666 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:47 pm »

Yeah i’d say Made in Abyss, or at least the anime, is pretty kiddie.
The fact they don’t drop the aesthetic while everything gets grim and body-horror esque is weird
I think weird is the whole point. Those of us who read the manga know what I mean when I say that "going for weird" is the only explanation for the Biotoilet.

Things get stranger and stranger as the team descends into the Abyss, and layer by layer it gets more alien and dangerous. In the upper layers, you've got odd but plausible creatures like the giant flying tentacle snake and wall-roosting bird-like organisms. In the lower layers you have the biotoilet, massive amoebas fighting an-cap monsters, a living mattress, and the like. Currency stops being in normal things like coinage and favors and becomes the extracted and purified organs of people who have damaged your property. There's a bloke who sells his testicles as foodstuffs regularly enough that Riko can buy and eat one without significantly impinging on her budget (which was the lump sum of "value" of her little pet suffering anal prolapse when hugged too hard by one of the citizens. Yup. His organs.)

I mean, it's not like it's really much of a secret that Tsukushi is a lolicon, but there's a lot more in the series than you'd think from that image of Riko tied up in the nude. It's... Just really friggin' alien.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

heatwave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31667 on: January 24, 2019, 05:15:22 am »

yep, I'm a big fan of anime. Here is my top 5: Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Hunter x Hunter, Fate/Zero, Shokugeki no Soma

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31668 on: January 27, 2019, 08:29:52 pm »

I guess Miyazaki got bored sitting around:

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-studio-ghibli-movies-hayao-miyazaki-goro-miyazaki/

Hayao Miyazaki is returning to Studio Ghibli after the animation studio closed down following his 2013 retirement. Most of his former employees and coworkers ended up migrating to the newly established Studio Ponoc, but that doesn’t mean Miyazaki will be the only one occupying the dusty offices at Ghibli. The elder Miyazaki is bringing his son and filmmaker Goro Miyazaki with him, and the pair are reportedly working on two new Studio Ghibli movies.

Ghibli fans have something to look forward to, but definitely should be keeping an eye on Studio Ponoc. The producer and director of Ghibli film When Marnie Was Here are the principal founders and they've got a couple of things out so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_and_the_Witch%27s_Flower
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modest_Heroes
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:39:49 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31669 on: January 27, 2019, 09:43:16 pm »

Yeah, sometimes not working can be much harder than working.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31670 on: January 28, 2019, 09:22:41 pm »

I saw Mary and the Witch's flower. Japanese Hogwarts was trippy AF.

5 Stars, would trip again.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31671 on: January 31, 2019, 07:00:06 am »

So I checked out Gokudols...

It's about a trio of Yakuza that have gotten into deep trouble with their boss, and he makes them get a sex change and become Idols.

It only gets better from there, this is fuckin funny.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31672 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:07 am »

Yeah, I saw that and thought about checking it out. Had forgotten the name. Will put it higher on the watch list.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31673 on: February 09, 2019, 06:38:55 pm »

So I checked out Rising of the Shield Hero, which I was reluctant to do but I liked Re: Zero and Overlord, and I need something for my isekai weeb trash fix.

Ep1: Many questions asked, and then not answered despite an enhanced 40+ minute runtime.
Ep2: Even more questions (implicitly) asked and not answered.
Ep3: Many very convenient coincidences taken for granted. Are you kidding me?
Ep4: ... are you kidding me?
Ep5: ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?

This isn't ordinary weeb trash... this is advanced weeb trash.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31674 on: February 09, 2019, 06:54:09 pm »

So I checked out Rising of the Shield Hero, which I was reluctant to do but I liked Re: Zero and Overlord, and I need something for my isekai weeb trash fix.

Ep1: Many questions asked, and then not answered despite an enhanced 40+ minute runtime.

Questions like? Its pretty self explanatory to me. Or at least the things not explicitly explained are part of the overarching story and mystery and thus make sense not to be explained right away. 

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31675 on: February 09, 2019, 07:06:45 pm »

Social justice people are writing a zillion articles about being outraged by a plot point in the first episode of that shield hero thing. This is teaching the Japanese creators an obvious lesson: triggering easily-offended Western folk is a really good business strategy.

You know, maybe highlighting anime which are good would be more effective in creating change than only loudly calling out ones that aren't good? The smartest thing, of course, would be to say literally nothing about the disliked anime.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:25:43 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31676 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:19 pm »

I mean, it's a level above Slime isekai or that recent demon lord isekai that I've forgotten the name of (with the protagonist named Diablo) and way better than smart phone isekai. I don't think it meets Overlord, but in terms of quality it definitely meets Re: Zero even though I think that was better adapted in some ways. A lot of questions intentionally won't be answered until the end of the arc, which I think is going to line up with the end of the anime, but they are going fast and it's hard for me to be able to say they're explaining things properly since I already read it well past the point the anime would reach. There are a few things that are still total bullshit even when explained, including Firo, but will at least be explained next episode. But the broader plot coincidences that I think you're talking about will definitely be explained, and there are two big reasons for them. The only things. I specifically noticed that the anime handled badly were the thing where he didn't taste food or notice that Raphtalia got older, which wasn't that important and I thought deserved to be downplayed to the degree it was, and how his shield changes forms and increases its power, which is kind of important but considering how the market has changed since this was first written, they probably figured it would b emote acceptable and palatable to just leave it be, and it obviously doesn't transfer into anime format that well. It's not like they're going to get to the arc where it becomes relevant, and even if they get a second season (in which case they probably would) they can explain it more then.

But yeah, even though it's a classic that got a lot of people into both isekai and (in the west) isekai in general, it can only be called a solid work, not a revolutionary masterpiece.

Social justice people are writing a zillion articles about being outraged by a plot point in the first episode of that shield hero thing. This is teaching the Japanese creators an obvious lesson: triggering easily-offended Western folk is a really good business strategy.

You know, maybe highlighting anime which are good would be more effective in creating change than only loudly calling out ones that aren't good? The smartest thing, of course, would be to say literally nothing about the disliked anime.
It was already popular and successful before SJWs heard of it, which didn't happen until after it got an anime, same as with Goblin Slayer. I don't know about sales in Japan but both of those had more pre-anime presence in the general knowledge of the west than any fantasy since Overlord, so it's only natural that their anime releases would be better known too. SJW condemnations can stand out for being poorly informed and can generate discussion, but I don't think getting people to hate your anime will ever be as productive as getting people to enjoy it.

Also, that's what sets the stage for the whole series, and is relevant to the plot of the whole first arc, so it's a valid thing to be turned off by, if you hate that you're likely to not enjoy the show because of it. And it is quite heavy-handed with no explanation of the underlying sociocultural factors until what'll probably be the third quartile of the show, and a lot of the deeper explanations probably won't make it in with just one season.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:59:51 pm by Cruxador »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31677 on: February 10, 2019, 02:09:28 am »

Ah because it dared have a villain do a bad thing? They seem to hate when villains do bad things.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31678 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:29 am »

I mean, it's a level above Slime isekai or that recent demon lord isekai that I've forgotten the name of (with the protagonist named Diablo) and way better than smart phone isekai. I don't think it meets Overlord, but in terms of quality it definitely meets Re: Zero even though I think that was better adapted in some ways. A lot of questions intentionally won't be answered until the end of the arc, which I think is going to line up with the end of the anime, but they are going fast and it's hard for me to be able to say they're explaining things properly since I already read it well past the point the anime would reach. There are a few things that are still total bullshit even when explained, including Firo, but will at least be explained next episode. But the broader plot coincidences that I think you're talking about will definitely be explained, and there are two big reasons for them. The only things. I specifically noticed that the anime handled badly were the thing where he didn't taste food or notice that Raphtalia got older, which wasn't that important and I thought deserved to be downplayed to the degree it was, and how his shield changes forms and increases its power, which is kind of important but considering how the market has changed since this was first written, they probably figured it would b emote acceptable and palatable to just leave it be, and it obviously doesn't transfer into anime format that well. It's not like they're going to get to the arc where it becomes relevant, and even if they get a second season (in which case they probably would) they can explain it more then.

But yeah, even though it's a classic that got a lot of people into both isekai and (in the west) isekai in general, it can only be called a solid work, not a revolutionary masterpiece.

To be clearer in my complaint, I'm upset that the show had a REALLY SUPER EXCELLENT premise... and then threw it away in favor of a premise centered around waifu-bait and an unnaturally forced persecution complex. The so-called "controversies" aren't even spicy enough to trigger my taste buds they're so bland.

The "SUPER EXCELLENT PREMISE" I'm referring to is the fact that all the heroes are from alternate timeline Japans... and then doesn't do anything with that idea. Atleast it hasn't yet, but I'm betting that it won't ever do anything with it and it'll stay as a pointless background detail. Like, just imagine, you could have had all the heroes be radically different from eachother, because they're all born from a totally different background:

We could have one where Japan and the Axis powers won WW2, and then Japan immediately started WW3 with Nazi Germany and then they won that, so now Japan is the Supreme Ruler over all the world, so that hero has a totally unchecked superiority complex and believes that Japanese people (and ONLY Japanese people) are the world's master race and this diverse fantasy world of European-esque people and demihumans are ripe for Japanese subjugation, and he only needs to figure out how to connect this world to his world so the motherland can reap all the benefits of this bountiful and virgin territory and he can get all the credit.

We could have another one come from a Japan where society and the world has collapsed and destroyed itself, and his world is a Mad Max/Fist of the North Star-esque dying planet dystopia. Because everyone teleported in, they still all had whatever they were personally carrying at the time... and this one just so happened to be armed to the teeth with firearms and a lifetime of brutal combat experience. For convenience's sake, he's not forbidden by his legendary weapon from using them since they belong to him. He's overwhelmed at this mirthful fantasy land, and he secretly decides that he will FIND A WAY to topple it over, declare himself Emperor, and rule over it as a dictator and never have to go hungry or wanting again.

And another one could... you know, you get it, I'm disappointed that the author bothered to include a cool detail like that, and then just not do anything with it. All the Japans were functionally identical to the one that that protagonist came from, excepting only in COINCIDENTALLY having MMO's that are bizarrely identical to the fantasy world they got transported to, preparing them beforehand for this adventure far in advance. God what a waste.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31679 on: February 10, 2019, 12:08:26 pm »

I think you read too much into that, it's not really a significant part of the premise, just a detail. You're right that it won't come up in any meaningful fashion during the part of the novel covered by the anime. I don't really agree with your opinion that it's not okay to establish interesting background details unless you dedicate a lot of narrative focus to them, though. In general I think that interesting details are a good thing, and this one doesn't really detract from the story, in fact contributing at this early stage to the alienation of the shield hero. The fact that the forms of media that they know this game from are all different does become more relevant to a bit that I suspect is shortly after the anime will end, but as is normal for isekai, people's original world of origin is more relevant to how they relate to their current world than for its inherent properties. The previous world is a framing device, not an important setting in its own right.

As for making the other heroes more different, that will come up more when the sword and bow get more developed (which may or may not make it into the anime) but even the one scene that was already about this revealed different tech levels. Personally, I think the caricature-type characterization that you describe wouldn't benefit the story at all, it would just detract from the story of the shield hero who is (and is supposed to be) the main focus. You wouldn't be unique in it if you thought that the spear hero spinoff was better, but the way it's set up it'll almost certainly not get an anime since it's based on the shield hero story, which would be lucky to even get multiple seasons.
Pages: 1 ... 2110 2111 [2112] 2113 2114 ... 2191