Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763565 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31875 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:56 am »

My post got eaten by the internet so I'll just post this little query for you to argue about: is Harry Potter Isekai?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31876 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:59 am »

Probably not, because Hogwarts is inside the real world and you can enter and leave it at will. If Hogwarts was isekai, then a series about boarding school or going to prison would be isekai.

Almost anything could be called isekai then. If you consider the Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey stuff, then you have the "ordinary world" of the characters then they enter the "special world" where they have to learn the rules that apply to them, then at the end they emerge back to the "ordinary world". This is one of the most common overall plot structures. A good example is The Shire in Lord of the Rings. The Shire is the default "ordinary world" of the Hobbits, and everything else in Middle Earth is the Special World. If we start saying that Hogwarts is isekai because Hogwarts is a hidden location in the real world, then what about for example, Skull Island in the King Kong movies? There are plot elements of isekai that of course are the same as any other "fish out of water" story, but that goes as much for, for example, "Beverley Hills Cop" or Jackie Chan going to the wild west in Shanghai Noon as it does for any isekai.

Yeah, so Harry Potter isn't isekai because a school isn't a world, no matter how much magic there is. And otherwise, isekai would also be so broad as to be useless as as description. It's best that isekai is reserved for describing people transported to alternate dimensions/worlds.

If there are any grey areas / edge-cases, i'd be inclined to pick ones like Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars / Barsoom novels, and the type of ones with a hollow earth and entire races / nations down there that don't connect with the surface.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:26:43 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31877 on: June 20, 2019, 08:54:11 am »

Uh, yeah, HP is explicitly not isekai. The concept/genre is based on someone getting transported to another world/dimension (the word itself more or less literally means 'different world'), usually (though not always) with no way back and without much in the way of consent or warning. Hidden societies and whatnot just don't fall under its umbrella. Hollow earth stuff would probably be close-ish, but generally if it's on the same planet (or you used common infrastructure to get to another one) it just doesn't count.

If you were looking for more western or classic examples that could slot into the concept, well... the wiki page on the subject has some good ones. The Wizard of Oz probably counts, ferex :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31878 on: June 20, 2019, 06:17:40 pm »

By that logic nearly every cultivation novel is a multiple-iteration isekai, which sounds remarkably fitting in terms of quality connotations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31879 on: June 20, 2019, 06:28:51 pm »

You know, in My Hero Academia, its said that Deku's quirk is a lot like All-Mights. Except, how is this case?
Does All-Might appear to glow when he uses his power? No.
Does his power hurt himself? No.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31880 on: June 20, 2019, 06:30:53 pm »

Someone should rewrite Alice in Wonderland but with isekai tropes.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31881 on: June 20, 2019, 06:31:10 pm »

The glowing is for our benefit. The injury is because he hasn’t toughened up to the power enough yet.

Also, Alice as an isekai is worrying.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31882 on: June 20, 2019, 08:18:46 pm »

I'm like 80% sure there's multiple "reincarnated/transported into wonderland" stories out there, really. Can't recall if I've seen one done raw isekai style, but...

By that logic nearly every cultivation novel is a multiple-iteration isekai, which sounds remarkably fitting in terms of quality connotations.
Lots of cultivation novels are definitely isekai, yeah, inasmuch as the term can be applied generally to begin with. I wouldn't say nearly every one, but plenty are.

... that said, the general morass of cultivation novels largely share general quality level with isekai even when there's not fairly explicit overlap otherwise. If I've noticed a broad brush difference between the two, it's that, perhaps terrifyingly, isekai tends to have more ethical main characters doing less heinous things less regularly.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #31883 on: June 20, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, what's a cultivation novel?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31884 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:26 pm »

Forgive my ignorance, what's a cultivation novel?
A novel centering around the cultivation of qi in order to become much more powerful and, eventually, immortal. It's a classic element of xianxia, and since xuanhuan is basically a mix of xianxia and western genres it's also common in that.

EDIT: Here's a deep and insightful comparison between that and the Japanese LNs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:50:43 pm by Cruxador »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31885 on: June 20, 2019, 08:53:38 pm »

It's not necessarily Qi and the immortality bit is fairly conditional, but yeah, more or less. Think MMORPG scaling mechanics as a core plot point without necessarily having an explicit system... with more or less exactly what that means vis a vis the MC (and others) level of power. Gather power units, level up, gather more power units. Cultivate your whatever until you can break mountains and kill gods. Probably commit genocide at some point or another, or at least murder lots of people and steal their stuff.

I read more than is probably healthy (because holy shit the main characters tend to be some variety of scum), mostly because they're one of the few bits of fiction where people fairly regularly bludgeon each other with parts of the landscape. If you ever see me mention punch magic or fooxia, it's probably a reference to this stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31886 on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:38 pm »

You know, in My Hero Academia, its said that Deku's quirk is a lot like All-Mights. Except, how is this case?
Does All-Might appear to glow when he uses his power? No.
Does his power hurt himself? No.
All-Might literally passes on his quirk to Deku.
Deku is still a young teen.  Sure, he is physically fit by the time he attain's All-Might's powers, but that is just the very minimal requirement to attaining the power. 
Deku does not have the benefit of growing into All-Might's quirk, as other teens of his age had with their own quirks.  Deku also has the issue of handling a quirk which is basically the epitome of raw power in the My Hero Academia universe.  Deku hurts himself because he can't properly control this immense new power, all his attacks are at 100% power.  It becomes less of an issue as the series progresses/Deku grows and learns.

The glowing is more creative license of animators, rather then... canon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31887 on: June 20, 2019, 11:29:04 pm »

It's also possible that the way One For All is expressed is different, depending on the user. I don't think Nana Shimura was shown ever using the power, so we can't be sure everybody else used the power like All Might. No reason to think Deku is just this weird electric green outlier.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31888 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:53 am »

There's also just the matter that One For All increases in strength as it is used and cultivated by its holder. So Deku has a stronger version of it than All Might had, in addition to having a weaker body that can't handle it. It logically progresses that if the quirk continues to be passed down, it'll eventually just become a worthless quirk that is way too fucking strong for anyone to use it, killing the holder on any usage whatsoever; though at that point it'd probably only ever fall into the hands of people who have an additional quirk of amazing personal durability or self-healing or somesuch.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31889 on: June 21, 2019, 11:38:40 am »

You are somehow missing my point, Zangi.
I am not asking why it hurts Deku.
I am asking why in-universe people say that the two powers are similar.
True, we have always known the reason that it hurt Deku.
However, it doesn't hurt All Might. That was my point. To people in-story, that would be quite a difference.
They don't know the reasons why it hurts Deku (or at least at the time. I am not up to date).
I guess the glowing lines being non-canon means I only have the slightest of legs to stand on until he gets extra non-All Might-like power.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:40:21 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 ... 2191