Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2803982 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31935 on: June 26, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »

Edit: After posting I realized I had no real point.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31936 on: June 27, 2019, 05:52:40 am »

Speaking of, in the latest episode Genos stands up and it is the greatest thing ever and has made the season completely worth it. I talk to my friends and they’re like hey, did you see that dude stand up? And I instantly have to respond yeah because he did it so good. It’s gonna stick with me for a year
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31937 on: June 29, 2019, 10:45:41 pm »

With the help of Senko-san, we all lift together!

This has absolutely no right to work as well as it does.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31938 on: June 30, 2019, 04:23:02 am »

Finally finished "Run with the Wind". Absolutely fantastic sports anime. I'm going running as soon as I completely recover from this cold.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

simpleyuji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31939 on: July 03, 2019, 07:18:00 pm »

Anyone read the manga Horimiya? I found it incredibly good (at least the first half of the series). Was wondering if there are similar manga/animes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31940 on: July 03, 2019, 07:28:50 pm »

... I haven't read any (save a spot check for overt smut), but I did order some volumes of it for our local library a few months back :V

There's definitely plenty of similar stuff, though. Can't really recommend any besides maybe jitsu wa watashi wa or mebbe the ancient magus' bride (which isn't quite the same thing, but sorta' in a similar direction), but you're basically just looking for high quality romance and/or shojo. There's plenty of that on the market, I just don't consume enough to know much. Maybe a bride's story? It's pretty well known historical romance type stuff, iirc, just 'ware the occasional frontal nudity.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31941 on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:46 pm »

Vinland Saga in a few days and Dr. Stone shortly before that.
Blech.

At the request of one of my co-workers kids, I pulled the complete (to date) One Piece collection. 

I must say, this series is the longest running deus ex machina I have ever bore witness to.
Huh, it's only recently in the manga that he's starting to figure out some of the big trump card type abilities which you'd see flashes of when big badass mofos would pop up and wreck shit or casually no-sell something before taking everyone's lunch money and wandering off.

Dude get's his shit pushed in enough to be really good at taking a beating and like 95% of his character is "well shit that hurt like hell, no hard feelings, ha ha ha, let's eat!" ultimately.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31942 on: July 03, 2019, 08:39:19 pm »

you're basically just looking for high quality romance and/or shojo.
Horimiya is quite slice of life though, with a focus on pleasant domesticity rather than drama (which is invariably played for comedy when it occurs) or even really romance in particular. That's more specific than just being high quality, and romance might not even necessarily be a primary relevant characteristic to many readers - although the main couple and their relationship are rather central to the story, in that the story is arrayed around them, the concept of romance is dealt with fairly casually and many aspects of the relationships in the manga would apply to non-romantic relationships as well. Although I'm using ephemeral qualia in this, I think it could be described as a comfy slice of life as readily as anything. In that regard, something like the Ancient Magus Bride, which has a core theme of emotional distress born of unhealthy relationships, could be called an exact opposite of Horimiya.

If we're considering tone primarily, I might even recommend something like Hinamatsuri, despite that being utterly unlike Horimiya in many ways.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31943 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:25 pm »

Eh, fair enough. Like said, I haven't read the thing at all, heh, and it's not a general area of fiction I'm particularly familiar. The skim looked romance/shojo-y, and I when I was hunting for recs a ways back that was roughly the way it was described (well, near as i can recall several months later), so was rolling with that, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31944 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:18 pm »

In that regard, something like the Ancient Magus Bride, which has a core theme of emotional distress born of unhealthy relationships, could be called an exact opposite of Horimiya.

Wait, is that really what it's about? I thought the relationship between Chise and Bone Daddy was portrayed as an unambiguously good thing for her, in spite of its off-putting origin.

Does something happen later in the show? Maybe I shouldn't have dropped it then.

fakedit: Minimum spoilers please. I might pick it up again if that's really what the show is going for.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31945 on: July 04, 2019, 12:00:07 am »

In that regard, something like the Ancient Magus Bride, which has a core theme of emotional distress born of unhealthy relationships, could be called an exact opposite of Horimiya.

Wait, is that really what it's about? I thought the relationship between Chise and Bone Daddy was portrayed as an unambiguously good thing for her, in spite of its off-putting origin.

Does something happen later in the show? Maybe I shouldn't have dropped it then.

fakedit: Minimum spoilers please. I might pick it up again if that's really what the show is going for.
I didn't really watch the show; I rarely enjoy anime that I've already read the source material for. Based on the manga at least, I would say that the relationship is definitely a good thing for both of them, not just Chise, but that doesn't mean it's healthy. They're both bringing a lot of baggage to the table which profoundly effects the way they approach and process their relationship, and that causes problems. It's not just something that happens later, but many somethings that keep happening.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31946 on: July 04, 2019, 04:40:20 am »

Anyone read the manga Horimiya? I found it incredibly good (at least the first half of the series). Was wondering if there are similar manga/animes.

I don't know what you've seen/read, but you can try Kimi ni Todoke.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #31947 on: July 05, 2019, 09:14:50 pm »

HARMONY GOLD MANAGED TO GET ALL THEIR LICENSES RENEWED GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31948 on: July 05, 2019, 09:58:14 pm »

We could "celebrate" by mailing them pineapples, I suppose.

simpleyuji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31949 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »

Can't really recommend any besides maybe jitsu wa watashi wa or mebbe the ancient magus' bride (which isn't quite the same thing, but sorta' in a similar direction), but you're basically just looking for high quality romance and/or shojo.

I think i heard good things about the 'jistsu wa watashi wa', so might check it out. The ancient magus bride had very good reviews, and i watched a couple of episodes, but i didn't really get it, and didnt feel attached to the characters. I think horimiya just made me feel very invested in the mc's as they both had secrets they kept for each other, and the interactions, character development were funny and engaging as well.

Pages: 1 ... 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 ... 2191