Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 2157

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1687406 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32010 on: March 07, 2019, 04:11:50 am »

Finding a mech-shaped hole in my heart and having loved Iron-Blooded Orphans, I finally decided to check out another Gundam show. I'm watching Seed, apparently a "remaster," and it's okay I guess. The fights aren't very interesting, the characters are pretty generic, and the art style just looks... off. Every fourth or fifth time they show a given character it seems really off-model and weird. Maybe I'm imagining it. So far it's just okay-ish.

Is there a fan-favorite Gundam series, or one that would be more akin to IBO?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
I make games

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32011 on: March 07, 2019, 04:17:45 am »

Seed is kinda old and comes from an era when the characters were styled fairly differently, that's probably where the wierdness comes from.

As far as other gundam shows go, Thunderbolt is short but fucking brilliant, both in style and substance (also fairly bleak and dark). Unicorn was very pretty but I presonally couldn't stand the story or characters, it might be for you though, not sure, either way, worth a look imo.

Other than that 00 had a pretty solid first season (but then, just like seed it goes to utter shit and nonsense in the second one) with some neat fights and ideas.

Gundam Build Fighters would be another thing to check out if all you want are cool fights, it's a wildly different story both in setting and tone (which is not neccessarily bad, just different) but it's some lighthearted fun that isn't terribly demanding.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #32012 on: March 07, 2019, 10:14:08 am »

If you're wanting a short, really damn good Gundam series, watch Unicorn. It stands alone pretty well, so it's still okay if you're not really up to speed on that timeline.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32013 on: March 07, 2019, 01:06:12 pm »

I veto 00, Unicorn, and Seed.

I upvote Thunderbolt, and nominate War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team.

Also go watch Dougram, the entire thing is on YouTube and if you like the flavor of the Gundam shows I recommended above and things like Armor Hunter Mellowlink (VOTOMS), then I promise you'll enjoy it if you watch it long enough. If you can't stand that old flavor of mecha like the original Robotech and Mobile Suit Gundam, maybe stay away, but it's a lot more serious and smart about tactics than either of those which was my main problem with them.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32014 on: March 07, 2019, 01:17:31 pm »

Lyrical Nanoha was obviously the best mecha anime, fite me
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32015 on: March 07, 2019, 05:13:51 pm »

The Seed sub-franchise is kind of a weird singularity of recursive production issues and marketing driven decisions, with the remaster on top of that having controversies comparable to the star wars original trilogy special edition.

I'd say to watch 00 or War in the Pocket if you want something good to watch without much background caveates, though they're not necessarily very IBO-ish. The former is IMO the best and most complete of the modern alternate universe series, and is one of the more accessible Gundams out there, and is very thematically tight. The latter meanwhile is very bitesized and pretty much the perfect condensation of the mood of the franchise into a single show. Unicorn is a fun watch but I wouldn't recommend going into it without at the very least reading a short plot summary of the shows that take place before it in the UC timeline. I guess if you really want something IBO esque I'd point to Thunderbolt since personally I felt that did everything IBO tried to do thematically but better executed, but its only the length of a couple movies cause of its webisode release format.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:41:43 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32016 on: March 07, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »

I am up to episode 15 of My Hero Academia, and I have to say, so far Katsuki Bakugou feels like Zuko from Avatar:TLA if he was inferior in every way.
Maybe he'll have a backstory reveal later, but for now he is just annoying, since there does not really seem to be any real reason for him to act this way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:24:41 pm by pikachu17 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32017 on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:25 pm »

Everyone dislikes Bakugo at first. That is, until he finally grows up, matures, and gets his stand White Album.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32018 on: March 07, 2019, 09:15:19 pm »

Stand, White Album? I know that is a jojo reference, but I don't know what that means in this case.
Besides if it is due to Character Development, would not it be closer to Koichi Hirose getting a new Echoes Act?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:22:27 pm by pikachu17 »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32019 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23:45 pm »

Explaining the joke: Bakugo's voice actor also voices a character in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, who makes no effort to sound any different from Bakugo. So similar, that even though I knew I was watching Jojo, I was certain he was going to scream something about Deku.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32020 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:59 pm »

I'll never understand why the same Internet that decries bullying in all its forms will fanboy so hard over Angry Explosion Kid. From what I remember, Bakugo's an unrepentant jackass with basically no redeeming character traits.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32021 on: March 07, 2019, 11:12:24 pm »

I'll never understand why the same Internet that decries bullying in all its forms will fanboy so hard over Angry Explosion Kid. From what I remember, Bakugo's an unrepentant jackass with basically no redeeming character traits.
I guess it depends what you mean by fanboying but I'm sure you can think of characters people like who have done worse than bully people. You can still be entertained by characters who are assholes.

Also, I can name at least one good trait he has. Bakugo is a determined person which I'd say without context could be considered a good trait, and he's still a hero, so ultimately his morals lie on the side of good even though he's still a jerk, and he elevates the main character because he's an asshole, that makes him entertaining.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32022 on: March 08, 2019, 12:52:19 am »

Finding a mech-shaped hole in my heart and having loved Iron-Blooded Orphans, I finally decided to check out another Gundam show. I'm watching Seed, apparently a "remaster," and it's okay I guess. The fights aren't very interesting, the characters are pretty generic, and the art style just looks... off. Every fourth or fifth time they show a given character it seems really off-model and weird. Maybe I'm imagining it. So far it's just okay-ish.

Is there a fan-favorite Gundam series, or one that would be more akin to IBO?

also for the original Gundam timeline (Gundam 0079+), the OVAs can be watched without having seen any of the  main series, since they're all standalone stories set during the same war but featuring entirely different characters, military units and locations.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (6 eps)
Gundam: The 08th MS Team (13 eps)

The fore-mentioned Unicorn and Thunderbolt are also part of the UC Gundam setting. You can watch all those and follow along what's going on, however to get the bigger picture you do need to eventually watch Gundam 0079. It's good if you can get over the date artwork.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:57:40 am by Reelya »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • Pika Pika!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32023 on: March 08, 2019, 12:41:33 pm »

Is there any evidence in My Hero Academia that Denki Kaminari gets stupider over time, as he exceeds his wattage limit again and again?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32024 on: March 08, 2019, 12:46:19 pm »

That's his secret, he's always stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 2133 2134 [2135] 2136 2137 ... 2157