Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 ... 2170

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2091420 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32025 on: August 05, 2019, 02:12:15 am »

I'm really enjoying the Kengan Asura anime so far. The CGI honestly doesn't bother me, the fight scenes so far have been very visually dynamic and engaging, the voice acting is pretty damn good. Loving the manga as much as I do, I'm hoping that the series continues till the end without dropping in quality.

Also, of COURSE Kiryu Setsuna's voiced by the same voice actor as Hisoka from HunterxHunter. It's the same fucking character motivation, now that I think about it.

I actually just finished the 12 episodes on Netflix and wanted to gush about it. Basically, it's Baki! It's just Baki. The art style is like if Keisuke Itagaki did 3D models. The main character is even very similar to Baki, one of the first people he fights is a Russian Kickboxer (in Baki, it was a Mongolian Boxer, so very similar), then the next guy advertises his "vice-like grip" (though he's nothing like Hanayama otherwise), and the similarities only rack up from there. I'm not complaining, I love this shit, pour it on my face Kengan Ashura; because the Baki manga is updating too slowly for my taste.

I'm hoping that the show updates soon, ending right in the middle of the first round of the tournament arc (another old shonen trope that I love) just makes me crave more. The plot is going at breakneck speed, but there seems to be a lot more story, and many more character to add to what promises to be a very impressively large roster of fighters, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops, and if it develops its own personality or if it is content living in the shadow of Baki as a very good imitator.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32026 on: August 05, 2019, 05:25:02 am »

I’m personally a proponent of partial translation. Just leave it as onee-sama. We have google.
If that’s not feasible, “honoured sister” or “dear sister” works. I particularly like ‘my dear sister’ because it fits with the stalker vibe.

But yeah. Sissy is just terrible.
I like "Honoured Sister" as well, especially since it keeps the pompousness of the -Sama. Exaggerated a bit, but perfect translations are rare.

Onee-san I think I would translate as just "sister", elder optional. Onee or Nee would be "sis".
Sissy is right out.

What about Most Beloved Sister?
Love, scriver~

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32027 on: August 05, 2019, 05:36:32 am »

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops, and if it develops its own personality or if it is content living in the shadow of Baki as a very good imitator.

As somebody who's finished the manga, it's better than Baki. The only thing Baki's got going for it is the father-son relationship with Baki and Yujiro, a greater sense of wackiness and more epic scale in the strength of its martial artists.

Kengan Asura is so much more well EXECUTED in terms of a martial arts world. And it absolutely
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32028 on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »

That's what I'm concerned about, that it's not as wacky as Baki. Baki just has an enormous number of very memorable moments stemming from how weird its unafraid to be; whereas with KA I'm afraid that its so concerned with bustling from fight to fight to fight that nothing ever gets a chance to stand out in the viewers' mind as being special or extraordinary. It runs the risk of being "Yeah that was a pretty good battle anime I guess." and I'll maybe forget everything but the most important bits; whereas with Baki there's scenes that are easy to remember and remain in my memory just because of how off-the-wall and unexpected and fun they are, and this extends even to relatively unimportant scenes.

Of course, I'm not casting judgment on KA just yet, I need to know how the rest of the story pans out first!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Be so old that people find intolerance charming
    • View Profile
« Reply #32029 on: August 05, 2019, 03:12:58 pm »

There's no need for anything untranslated to be in subs.
... ?
I don't speak Japanese well enough.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 03:19:16 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32030 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:26 pm »

... ?
Your poor comprehension of the spoken language is an obstacle in reading fully translated subs?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Be so old that people find intolerance charming
    • View Profile
« Reply #32031 on: August 05, 2019, 08:30:54 pm »

What does that have to do with being able to hear? Now i’m even more confused
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32032 on: August 05, 2019, 08:58:03 pm »

I am also confused as to why one would need untranslated subs in undubbed content. Maybe we are confused about whether we are talking dubs/subs?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32033 on: August 05, 2019, 10:27:47 pm »

... ?
Your poor comprehension of the spoken language is an obstacle in reading fully translated subs?
I reckon he means that he doesn't comprehend it well enough to pick out the phrases he in principle does know (in this case onee-sama) without it written in the sub. Which actually seems like a legitimate argument, although it in turn begs the question of how many people are in that relatively small window of language comprehension where they know a term in romaji but miss it (consistently, in the case of something that would be frequently repeated like onee-sama) in speech. I still think that's a small enough portion of the audience, given how intelligible TV-accent Japanese is (I could potentially lean the other direction on, say, Danish) but it's a reasonable position.

Either that or he forgot the context somewhere along the way in that exchange, or we were somehow not on the same page to begin with. So in that case:
What does that have to do with being able to hear? Now i’m even more confused
If you can hear the original (not dubbed) audio, then you can hear the dialog in its untranslated form. This makes the untranslated text in subs redundant, and therefore, for many/most viewers, pointless. Il Palazzo is requesting clarification (possibly sarcastically, it's not always easy to tell in text) about how [lack of] ability to comprehend spoken dialog in the original language relates to your ability to enjoy a sub that does not include romaji transliteration of the dialog. More broadly, it can be interpreted as questioning what this has to do with the topic at hand in general (that is, allowing you to clarify that in fact your statement pertained to something else that had been said, or to characterize the point to which you were responding differently), which is implicit in the fact that he restated the point he perceived you to be responding to.

Spoiler: completely unrelated (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:35:51 pm by Cruxador »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32034 on: August 06, 2019, 04:01:14 am »

I am also confused as to why one would need untranslated subs in undubbed content. Maybe we are confused about whether we are talking dubs/subs?

It means why write "Dunamisdeos-san" in the subs when you could write "Mr Dunamisdeos".

However, the counter-argument is that honorifics are culturally specific, and translating culturally specific things into what are only very loose approximations always messes things up. Like, you wouldn't translate "ninja" to "spy", even though technically, ninja is untranslated. We could just write "futon" as "mattress" too, and "samurai" as "warrior" or "swordsman". So, as you can see, dictating that everything must be translated to the nearest equivalent is equally fucking stupid.

So, the point has to be that we leave things untranslated when the non-translated version is more accurate and commonly known, for a very subjective line of what "commonly known" is. For example, onigiri become "rice balls" (or "jelly donuts" if you prefer) because the name onigiri is less commonly known in the English speaking world, but sushi doesn't become "fish rolls" because the name sushi is already commonly known. So, for our "full translation dammit!" demand we get upset if they don't translate onigiri to "rice balls" but equally we would get upset if they do translate sushi to "fish rolls". So, no, there is no actual set of rules we can apply here, it's always subjective.

Honorifics are therefore middle-ground, because they're culturally specific, and that's where those works are set, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to pick them up.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:30:22 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32035 on: August 06, 2019, 04:28:49 am »

I think in Swedish "Mr." is mostly translated as "Mr." and not it's actual equivalent ("Herr"), but we also don't use titles any more so it's not exactly the same situation.

Otherwise I am 100% in favour of everything having to be translated. The sillier the outcome the better.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32036 on: August 06, 2019, 04:32:05 am »

I think in Swedish "Mr." is mostly translated as "Mr." and not it's actual equivalent ("Herr"), but we also don't use titles any more so it's not exactly the same situation.

Otherwise I am 100% in favour of everything having to be translated. The sillier the outcome the better.

san, sama work differently. San can mean miss, mr or mrs depend on context. The main justification for preserving honorifics is to convey culturally-specific information about the setting, and the fact that the system doesn't really overlay well into English, hence the stupid "sissy" thing from the last page.

Onee-sama means "honored older sister"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:34:05 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32037 on: August 06, 2019, 05:09:44 am »

Ah, but with the additional cultural input that in Japan it's still common to refer to an older female friend as "sister", which is no longer the case in the West :P

Clearly, there's no way to accurately translate anything. As a result, I move that nothing ever be translated, and all anime fans be mandated to learn both the Japanese language and culture. This is obviously the only reasonable solution.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #32038 on: August 06, 2019, 05:53:11 am »

Yep, if you translate honorifics you'll end up with a lot of situations where bad subs think people are related when they aren't. Pretty much the only one that works is the lightly-thuggish usage of 'aniki' -> 'bro' since there's actual equivalency there.

Chinese is far worse since there are so many contexts where non-blood relations are referred to as uncle/aunt/grandma/grandpa/sister/brother.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32039 on: August 06, 2019, 06:29:57 am »

Related, I just had the idea of for a great animu: tantzerfaust, in which old lady-anthropomorphized-tanks battle evil mecha, then have tea parties
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2134 2135 [2136] 2137 2138 ... 2170