Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2139 2140 [2141] 2142 2143 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763673 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32100 on: September 02, 2019, 06:40:17 pm »

I guess Love Tyrant would qualify here too, but I don't think that one held up as well as the story progressed, it had a great start but ended up more generic. If the comedy had only held up to the first episode all the way through it could have been great.

EDIT: yeah you're right about the Kirara thing, I wasn't so familiar with those magazines. They definitely have a lot of the shows that did come to mind for max cuteness.

Another one that just came to mind is the Working! series. It scratches the slice of life, light romcom and random comedy itches pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:39:55 pm by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32101 on: September 03, 2019, 01:35:29 am »

Bearing in mind that I would not dispute a claim that I have terrible taste, here's a random slice of shounen/seinen romcoms/slice of life that I enjoy(ed):

Seishun Forget! : Girl forgets everything that happened the previous day overnight, unless it was especially fun. Boy falls in love with her at first sight, she agrees to go out with him, shenanigans ensue as he attempts to make her actually remember him.

Suki x Suki : Girl has massive crush on boy, too embarrassed to do anything but blow him off. Gains the power to turn invisible (and is no longer embarrassed while invisible), but he can still see her. Shenanigans ensue when she doesn't realise he can see her, but he refuses to tell her because it would be too embarrassing. Very shounen-y, I wouldn't swear to it being any kind of objective "good", but it's fun.

Pashiri na Boku to Koisuru Banchou (The Lackey and the Delinquent Leader in Love) : Delinquent boss girl asks severely bullied boy out, he (completely legitimately) mistakes it as an order to be her errand boy. Shenanigans ensue.

Senryuu Shoujo: Girl only communicates through 5/7/5 poetry. Boy looks like a delinquent, but has reformed in the name of poetry. Slice of life shenanigans ensue. Currently pretty popular, partly thanks to the anime adaptation.

Tonikaku Kawaii (Fly Me to the Moon) : Girl saves boy from being killed by truck. Boy falls in love, asks girl out. Girl agrees on condition he marry her, vanishes. Two years later, reappears, they get married, shenanigans ensue. May cause mild diabetes.

The genre is not exactly starved for content, it's usually just a question of filtering out the incredibly generic/good but uninspired works from the rest, or finding less mainstream ones that you like better*. I also don't really have a record of most of the completed series I've read, since I tend to tear through most of them too quickly to need to bookmark them. >_>

* This list doesn't really have any conventional "harem" stuff, for instance, because I personally dislike it. It's a biased list. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32102 on: September 03, 2019, 01:40:27 am »

Seishun Forget! : Girl forgets everything that happened the previous day overnight, unless it was especially fun. Boy falls in love with her at first sight, she agrees to go out with him, shenanigans ensue as he attempts to make her actually remember him.

This is a genre now. based on my rule that three shows = a genre. There's also:

ef: A tale of memories (anime, originally a visual novel). Girl only remembers the last 13 hours.
one-week friends (anime, originally a manga). Girl only remembers one week at a time. So guy has to re-friend her each Monday.
BTW looks like Seishun Forget! is a manga, at least for now.

It's very specific, which is why it's a trope. It's always a guy interacting with a girl who has the memory loss. Even the movie "50 first dates" works the same way. They never make one about a girl chasing a guy with amnesia.

There was another one I haven't watched yet, but plan to, with what I thought was a similar premise, but it's a bit different, more groundhog day.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34102/Sakurada_Reset
In this one, there's a guy who has a special ability to remember everything, and the girl has a special ability she can reverse time by three days. So, it's still: the guy remembers, the girl doesn't. It's similar with Stein's;Gate or Groundhog day actually: the guy remembers the loops, the girl doesn't. So these are different to the amnesia-girl ones, but the similarity is that it's a guy who remembers, and there's at least one female love interest who always forgets.

Gender-reversed versions of this trope are very rare, although one that comes to mind is Haruhi's Endless Eight, in which Yuki, who is an alien artificial lifeform remembers the loops, while nobody else does.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:53:53 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32103 on: September 03, 2019, 01:52:44 am »

I should note that I have no idea about anime adaptations, these are purely based on the manga. I don't watch a lot of anime, for one reason or another. Mostly it's easier to fit reading a bit of manga in around my schedule than watching anime.

Edit to respond to edit:

They never make one about a girl chasing a guy with amnesia.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shoujo manga out there with that premise. If there isn't, there should be; it sounds like cash.

(E again: phrasing)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:36:18 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32104 on: September 03, 2019, 04:26:37 am »

Nichijou is King of SoL. This one's a serious suggestion

Absurdist SoL is the one true genre.
Somehow I came across a reddit thread which basically lists out every single one of these, so in order from most to least ecchi:

Chio's School Road
+Tic Neesan (the whole season is 30 minutes and on youtube)
Danshi koukosei no nichijou
Asobi Asobase (heartwarming 0/5)
Hinamatsuri (heartwarming 5/5)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (maximum romance trope subversion)
Nichijou

Also people reccomended Teekyu and noucome but I haven't seen them
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:28:18 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32105 on: September 03, 2019, 05:59:46 am »

I had to look up Noucome to be reminded of it. I have seen it but I'd recommend that as a "skip" anime, as it has a weak premise and cliched characters, typical ecchi scenarios. It also goes nowhere. not really worth starting. (EDIT: the full title is "My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering With My School Romantic Comedy", which seems similar to "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected". Except the latter is actually a good show that should be recommended).

Teekyu is completely different, it's pure absurd and very unique. I'd highly recommend that one. Might take a while to sync into the very weird humor. Ai Mai Mi is a similar, short form one, which is also batshit insane.

EDIT: Here's a sample of Ai Mai Mi (3.5 minutes per ep)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB019FSR_GM
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:14:12 am by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32106 on: September 03, 2019, 02:07:21 pm »

Slice of Life, huh? Try School Days, I hear it's a nice healing anime.
Nice Boat
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32107 on: September 03, 2019, 02:43:16 pm »

Been watching march comes in like a lion.
They leave taps running so much. It hurts me.

Good anime. Much feelings... but... water, man.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32108 on: September 05, 2019, 02:11:21 pm »

Why Real Girl, why did you have to make me cry so much. I never thought it would be that emotional. I figured it was a little odd romantic anime about otakus falling in love but seriously, I felt like someone just popped a hydrant in my emotions. Still sniffing and having tears.

Now I am stocking up on tissues when I going to watch A Silent Voice. Fuck, I didn't think I could get this emotional.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:15:41 pm by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32109 on: September 05, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »

Yeah, Real Girl really ups the stakes as the story progresses, especially with season 2. However, a lot of people panned it for the first season. See MAL, three of the top 4 reviews give it 2/10. I mean, why? It's not the greatest show on Earth, but it's definitely not a "2/10" show.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:14:26 pm by Reelya »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32110 on: September 05, 2019, 07:36:05 pm »

It's good for the first season but second was the sledgehammer of tears for me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32111 on: September 06, 2019, 04:01:39 am »

For the first point

For the second point

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:47:29 am by Reelya »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32112 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:55 am »

Well I had finished Domestic Girlfriend. The comments say it was the cringiest thing they ever seen. I figured they had never seen Rumbling Hearts and that was a Cringe Fest.

Now, Domestic Girlfriend had a couple of cringey moments in it but it was personally a well done anime with dealing with the odd life shit. What I mean by that is that MC had just gotten intimate with his soon to be sister but he does not know she will be his sister. People thought that was cringy but they got together before they even knew of this happening. The only time it got anything close to cringy to me would be Momo's story. I felt horrible for her and wanted to be able to be there for her (yes I know its 2D land but man I just hurt hearing her story). I was not entirely satisfied with the end but understand as reality goes it was probably for the best. Now I want to read the manga to continue along it to know what happens but it was a decent series.

King of Candy Island.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32113 on: September 12, 2019, 05:11:44 am »

Well, I just started Tada never falls in love and this just made me NANI so hard.

King of Candy Island.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32114 on: September 12, 2019, 06:38:16 am »

And now you know why they changed the name to canola oil :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.