Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2144 2145 [2146] 2147 2148 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795637 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32175 on: October 01, 2019, 06:42:40 pm »

Utena springs easily to mind here, but consideration of it as a sequel to the TV series are...ummm, typically as much due to fan speculation and theorycrafting as any solid, concrete "this is a sequel" in the plot. As such, it's probably not the sort of direct sequel we're looking for here.

EDIT:
Otherwise, if Cowboy Bebop counts, maybe Oh! My Goddess to the original 1993 five-episode OVA; the 2000 movie is still 14 years before the end of the actual manga and is of dubious canonicity.  Girls und Panzer, I'm given to understand, did some films as well as a part of its greater media push, but I didn't watch anything beyond the original series; I may also be misremembering if they were feature-length films or just OVAs.  The first Kimagure Orange Road movie is a direct sequel to the last episode and concerns some drama that the TV series kinda glossed over; the second was both slightly more distant chronologically as a sequel and a bit more divisive in the fanbase at the time.  Maison Ikkoku also did a sequel film that wraps up everything even more nicely, though the TV series already did a decent job on that front.  Nadesico has the issue that its sequel movie is not a direct sequel to the TV show, but is a sequel to a video game that was itself a sequel to the TV show; this understandably impaired its impact in Western markets where said game was never translated.  Patlabor's movies are good, but tend to fall uniformly on the drama side where the TV series tended to bounce between comedy and drama. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:55:53 pm by Culise »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32176 on: October 01, 2019, 11:08:55 pm »

So I had watched two series that were different in one way or another. First was Ladies Vs Butlers, I normally dont like dubs due to either over acting aka 412 or just absolute deadpan. Only times I prefer dubs would be I had watched the series with the dub before sub and just gotten used to the characters with the voices. So the series is a private school where either you pay to get in or have good test and personality score to get in. By the way it sounds through the series that male students were just admitted to the school and MC is one of them. It was a little different than what I have watched so far but it was a fun little series. Thought there was supposed to be a season 2 due to how open ended the series left it but nothing.

The second one was My Sister, My Writer. Still different, didnt have a whole lot in the way of a sister love story except they at least made it extremely clear that the sister wants her older brother right from the beginning and seriously has the most lustful editor and artist working with him. The animation is lacking, I dont know if it was an apprentance series or just did not have a good budget for the animation. Also, two ova's that referrance Yugioh, SAO, Saw, and Die Hard. The main series wasnt overall bad just not impactful. Still enjoyed it even though it did have a couple of cringe moments for me.

Also, I am looking around for good recondmendations for Japanese anime intro/outro music since I liked the intro artist for Domestic Girlfriend and play while driving. I just love the weird looks I get from the other drivers. I tried to let it do a random mix after the songs I had to find stuff but after hearing what sounded like someone that took a rock track, orchestra, some kind of jazz, and piano with the voice that sounds like (I dont advocate violence against animals but the description is what my imagination came up with) someone who is holding two cats by their tails ducked them in ice water and now is flinging them around like nun chucks. I am not going through that again and would like to find something that wouldnt count as psychological warfare.

On top of that, I started a series that is called If You Break Her Flag. It's so cute that I am wiggling intensely. Dammit, why is Akane insanely adorable. I just want to squish her .
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 05:02:27 am by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32177 on: October 02, 2019, 06:50:43 am »

The second one was My Sister, My Writer. Still different, didnt have a whole lot in the way of a sister love story except they at least made it extremely clear that the sister wants her older brother right from the beginning and seriously has the most lustful editor and artist working with him. The animation is lacking, I dont know if it was an apprentance series or just did not have a good budget for the animation.

I'm not surprise the budget is so low for something like that. There are so many similar light novels that get adapted, but most light novels probably never get adapted because they're unprofitable. However if they skimp on the animation then some of those unprofitable ones would cross the line into profits, thus get green-lit.

EDIT: Heh, imagine if that stuff was your career. You were known as the go-to guy for slutty little sister light novels.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:02:27 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32178 on: October 02, 2019, 03:58:46 pm »

Honestly I'm having a tough time considering demon slayer shonen trash. Infinite Ufotable production budgets aside, the show itself doesn't seem to be anything remotely as simple as most shonen is. The few fights it has are all brilliantly done but by and large most of the time seems to be spent focusing on the tragedy of the demons and Tanjiros drive and bond with his sister, then it starts introducing more characters and instead of them being just one-note archetypes you get hit with more interesting stories that you weren't really expecting (the biggest and most pleasant suprise for me was the butterfly lady, who wasn't just a random high ranking bastard but a genuinely nice person who just had some terrible shit happen to her)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32179 on: October 02, 2019, 04:33:17 pm »

Honestly I'm having a tough time considering demon slayer shonen trash. Infinite Ufotable production budgets aside, the show itself doesn't seem to be anything remotely as simple as most shonen is. The few fights it has are all brilliantly done but by and large most of the time seems to be spent focusing on the tragedy of the demons and Tanjiros drive and bond with his sister, then it starts introducing more characters and instead of them being just one-note archetypes you get hit with more interesting stories that you weren't really expecting (the biggest and most pleasant suprise for me was the butterfly lady, who wasn't just a random high ranking bastard but a genuinely nice person who just had some terrible shit happen to her)

I'm up to date on the manga, and yeah it's really good. Ufotable is doing a stellar job translating the rather average fight scenes in the manga into spectacular works of art in the anime.

My only gripe with the storytelling is the bad habit of spilling an entire character's backstory all at once at the moment they die, which strikes me as lazy storytelling.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32180 on: October 03, 2019, 02:49:44 pm »

Just started A Sister's All You Need and the first two episodes were a rollercoaster of emotion. Right off the bat you see an intense fantasy of a siscon, and yes it's on the verge of becoming a hentai intense. Then later on you get an inkling of one of the characters and how much she was struggling with life and Mr. MC sister worshipper had inspired her to write her own novel. I know I left the details vague but until I watch more the jury is still out on if this is a good series.
Aaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww yyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss, muthurfooking rrrrrrrrrrooooooooootbeeeeeeeeeeeer!

Now I had finished If You Break Her Flag and it felt rushed and probably could have used a second season to have better pacing but overall I thought it was adorable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:18:34 pm by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32181 on: October 03, 2019, 11:00:30 pm »

I finished up the manga for Kengan Asura (and got up-to-date on the sequel: Kengan Omega) and I'll have to say it's still an inferior Baki ripoff.

I mean, I still enjoyed it, I hungrily chewed right through it, but it's just... how do I put it... less pure than Baki.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32182 on: October 03, 2019, 11:14:26 pm »

What were your thoughts on Asura's fight scenes, especially near the end? Imho, the art style, execution and fluidity of fight scenes, the martial art interactions, the characters expressing themselves through their fighting, all of that is superior to some of Baki's stuff.

I'll definitely agree that the story of a father versus his son is a lot more compelling at its core, and stuff like that is why I think Baki: Son of Ogre is the best in the Baki Franchise so far.

But Kengan really tickled my fancy for fight scenes in a way that I haven't seen in Baki for a while now.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32183 on: October 04, 2019, 01:11:59 am »

Yeah, the fight scenes were what honestly allows the entire manga to shine, and makes it so readable. That's also probably the reason the manga and anime bustles from fight scene to fight scene with very little inbetween, because the author knows that's what he's good at and what makes the piece work at all as entertainment, trying to do anything else would have weakened the manga too much and made it mindnumbing to read.

The anime doesn't have these, but the manga has TONS of these little biographies of the characters that give stats and character design background, and all these little comedic 4komas, and all these 'behind-the-scenes' gag strips with the author and his buddies doin' shit; and I just skipped over all of them, they were insufferable. Maybe if I were buying the volumes as a real Japanese person might have when they were first being created, they might have added a little bit of levity at the end of an otherwise bloody and shouty match, but when binging through the entire thing as an American weeb, they were just interrupting and ruining the pacing that the story relies on so much.

But as far as Baki vs Asura goes in fight scenes, it's hard to compare. Asura doesn't give any time to really hype up someone really powerful, it gives so little spotlight to individual characters, while Baki gives tons of time to really emphasize just how goddamn swollen with power and what a shit-brickhouse of muscle somebody is. Asura's characters are definitely exaggeratedly strong, but they aren't half as exaggeratedly strong as Baki characters, which has characters that break physics in their day-to-day life. Asura, in that regard, is a little bit more 'realistic' and so you can actually kinda picture these characters existing and all these competitors in the Annihilation Tournament being closer to being equals to eachother; and in this regard, the fights are harder to predict, because both characters are human and they entered the fight assuming they have a chance of winning; which holds true for the entirety of the show. Baki, in this regard, has far more inequality among it's characters, though in my opinion some of the VERY BEST fights in Baki are emphasized by this inequality, when a "normal" character in Baki (there's no real normal characters in Baki) is pitted against another character who is VASTLY superior to them in every way, and from the very onset the outcome of the fight is predetermined, the weaker character, more likely than not, DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK, because every character in Baki upholds the motto that permeates the entirety of the manga: "If someone is born a male, he will dream of being the strongest man alive. So long as he never gives up this dream, becoming the strongest remains possible." and no character ever gives up on this dream, every character in Baki shares this exact same motivation. Kengan Asura doesn't have a motto like this, some characters do, but most don't; and that holds it back from being a really great shonen battle story.

Also, I would say that Baki is a little bit more inventive with narrative devices than Asura is; where Baki will use (I'd say, sometimes overuse) devices like having a bystander describe the fight after-the-fact; Asura never does, every fight is always a very straightforward affair, though I'd say it uses fake-outs quite a bit too much to build suspense as to who the victor in an exchange is.

Again, Asura is very enjoyable, but none of the fights had extreme impact on me, and I'll likely forget most of them. Baki has fights that I've read and reread and remain in my mind months after the fact. That's how I'm judging it.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32184 on: October 04, 2019, 04:56:27 am »

I think I have found the thirstiest character in anime in the series A Sister's All You Need and her name is Kani. At this point she is so thirsty that she rapes the tentacles not the other way around. Seriously, just in her vicinity there's no moisture almost anywhere and you'll die of dehydration in a minute unless she jumps your bones. Dear God I never thought I would experience something like this in my life.

King of Candy Island.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32185 on: October 04, 2019, 05:47:23 am »

I take you haven't watched Shimoneta? REAL STRONG AND THIRSTY female is on center stage in that one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32186 on: October 04, 2019, 06:19:47 am »

So many sister shows, I can't keep up. After Eromanga sensei the sheer number of little sister light novel adaptations where the main character happens to be ... a light novel author who writes (or his sister writes) little sister light novels is starting to getting ridiculous. I know they say "write what you know" but the sheer number of little-sister light novels in which all the author apparently knows about, thus all he writes about, is being a little-sister light novelist is getting silly. Forget novels where you have to research something interesting and write about that: just write a novel where the hero is a struggling novelist, and have everyone else in it be a cliche from existing novels. I mean, this is even lazier and worse than over-using school as a setting. At least "school" is something everyone can relate to, unlike the supposition of a light novel about a light novelist.

BTW Squatch you probably should add "He is my master" to your list, kinda sounds like your thing, and it's a bit different to what you're watching. If they wrote "He is my master" in the modern day however it would have turned into a series where there's a light novelist and he has little sister maids living with him.

We're just waiting for the first little-sister light novelist to be sucked into an isekai world where everything follows light novel rules, thus making him God, and the entire world is little sisters.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:30:15 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32187 on: October 04, 2019, 06:41:31 am »

We're just waiting for the first little-sister light novelist to be sucked into an isekai world where everything follows light novel rules, thus making him God, and the entire world is little sisters.

Atop this world stands the Imoutocomplex, the organization ruled by the 10 strongest little sisters. Our overpowered protagonist thus must fight and perv his way through increasingly difficult battles, and increasingly contrived ecchi situations, in order to save himself and all little sisters everywhere.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32188 on: October 04, 2019, 10:20:41 am »

Atop this world stands the Imoutocomplex, the organization ruled by the 10 strongest little sisters. Our overpowered protagonist thus must fight and perv his way through increasingly difficult battles, and increasingly contrived ecchi situations, in order to save himself and all little sisters everywhere.

Scarily this isn't much more contrived than the settings of many series. See "I will be the twintail" for example. Dimension-hopping aliens are trying to steal all the "features" of little girls, such as glasses, etc, and especially pigtails (which are apparently the most powerful "feature"), and a boy who loves pigtails has to transform into a pigtailed loli superhero called Tail Red to fight them.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32189 on: October 04, 2019, 10:48:37 am »

Okay, the comma in this thread title is really bothering me. It needs to be replaced with a semicolon, dash, or period.
Pages: 1 ... 2144 2145 [2146] 2147 2148 ... 2191