Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2145 2146 [2147] 2148 2149 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2801990 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32190 on: October 04, 2019, 01:55:51 pm »

Megalobox. Tame man’s Baki. I still love it to all heck though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32191 on: October 04, 2019, 02:13:26 pm »

Megalobox. Tame man’s Baki Ashita No Joe. I still love it to all heck though.

FTFY

For real though, is it actually good? I love boxing anime, but never really found the idea of machine enhancement to be all that interesting. Haven't seen anything past the first episode, so I don't know how good the fight scenes get.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32192 on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:43 pm »

For real though, is it actually good? I love boxing anime, but never really found the idea of machine enhancement to be all that interesting.

Minor storyline spoilers...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32193 on: October 04, 2019, 07:19:35 pm »

So many sister shows, I can't keep up. After Eromanga sensei the sheer number of little sister light novel adaptations where the main character happens to be ... a light novel author who writes (or his sister writes) little sister light novels is starting to getting ridiculous. I know they say "write what you know" but the sheer number of little-sister light novels in which all the author apparently knows about, thus all he writes about, is being a little-sister light novelist is getting silly. Forget novels where you have to research something interesting and write about that: just write a novel where the hero is a struggling novelist, and have everyone else in it be a cliche from existing novels. I mean, this is even lazier and worse than over-using school as a setting. At least "school" is something everyone can relate to, unlike the supposition of a light novel about a light novelist.
Part of it may be that a lot of the people who read light novels in significant volume also aspire (however much or little they may actually put into this goal) to write a big successful LN of their own.

And on the general little sister romance tack, HenSuki this season kinda subverted some big parts of the usual narrative, so that was a bit fun. It kind of makes me want to check out the LN and see what happens next. Not enough that I'm likely to actually do so, but still.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32194 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:06 pm »

Yep, after watching "my sister is among them" i read some of the stuff on wikipedia. The light novel has some amusing twists, but still not enough to go and read them. Got spoilered, but it's kinda funny if you don't care about the series:

The set up is rich kid enters a prestigious school after the death of his dad, and if he doesn't find a wife there, he doesn't inherit the company. A mysterious veiled girl on the day of the funeral says she's his sister, and she'll be attending the school and plans to marry him.
Spoiler: for the anime (click to show/hide)

All of which is completely overturned because ...

Spoiler: for the light novels (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:54:03 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32195 on: October 04, 2019, 09:40:21 pm »

Megalobox. Tame man’s Baki Ashita No Joe. I still love it to all heck though.

FTFY

I thought there was a little bit of facetiousness to your edit, but I just watched the first ep and these are just Ashita No Joe characters, but in a new settting. Like, exactly the same! They're clones! What a transparent homage. I love it already.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:44:02 pm by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32196 on: October 04, 2019, 09:46:20 pm »

It was literally made in commemoration of anj's 50th anniversary. So uh. Yeah, it's a homage :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32197 on: October 04, 2019, 10:06:13 pm »

I just plain didn't even know anything about it, so it took me by surprise.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32198 on: October 04, 2019, 10:46:56 pm »

So I just finished watching Kanata no Astra and I gotta say, I was real disappointed with the ending.

I know this was made worse by the fact that I was looking forward to this ending, and if I hadn't expected it to deliver, it would have been fine. But when the last episode is double-length, you expect something, you know?

Maybe this is just what I get for watching a show outside of my demographic. But it was enough fun along the way that I expected more from it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:50:32 pm by Cruxador »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32199 on: October 05, 2019, 07:40:53 am »

Oh woah yeah that basically is Ashita no joe.

Anywho, been watching Joshikousei no Mudazukai (wasteful days of high school girls).
Another absurdist SoL. Never been happier. It's the second season of Nichijou I never got.
Well, it's basically a girl's danshi koukousei no nichijou, but the character of Mai Minakami is back 100%. As she was my favourite, no contest.
Also mild lesbian vibes but I guess they're shooting for every audience.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32200 on: October 05, 2019, 09:01:58 am »

I thought you were talking about this thing actually:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/38295/Joshikausei

This one is just shorts about some highschool girls, but it's pretty unique in that there's no dialogue at all, there is voice acting, just no actual dialogue, the story is all told visually.

EDIT: I have the other one already so I'll definitely check it out.

BTW another plug for Hidamari Sketch. It's pretty great for that sort of thing, and the closest thing you'll get to Azumanga Daioh. I think the best plug for Hidamari Sketch is that it's Shaft's take on a school slice of life series complete with Shaft's weird art direction.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:14:00 am by Reelya »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32201 on: October 07, 2019, 05:53:19 am »

Thank you Reelya for the rant about the whole issue of light novelest with little sister interest because I was looking for the Eromanga series. I saw a few clips of it on YouTube and there was no name in the title nor description so I didn't know what it was called. I'm amazed by the quality of the animation and I do have a soft spot for erosensi because she reminded me of a school crush of a girl who was quiet and had platinum blonde hair.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32202 on: October 07, 2019, 06:08:42 am »

I want to read "My Little Sister Can Read Kanji".
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-little-sister-can-read-kanji/novel-1/.11300

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32203 on: October 07, 2019, 07:06:11 am »

Liked one of the first goodreads reviews I saw:
Literary Me: This is a clever and entertaining Juvenalian satire of current Japanese publishing trends, resulting in something of a light novel burlesque.

Regular Me: WTF did I just read?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32204 on: October 07, 2019, 07:11:29 am »

Wow this is cool you can actually read the whole thing on the Internet Archive

https://archive.org/details/manga_My_Little_Sister_Can_Read_Kanji