Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2763941 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32280 on: December 26, 2019, 07:32:35 am »

It turns out it's the brainchld of Shoji Kawamori, who really is the George Lucas of anime. He makes the shit and he makes some shit.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:50:02 am by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32281 on: December 26, 2019, 09:11:45 am »

Arjuna?
Sounds like an anime with lots of Hindu symbolism that ultimately doesn’t mean anything
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32282 on: December 27, 2019, 12:15:21 am »

Yeah, she has a bow and everything, so it's definitely based on that.

BTW, episode 12 now and they just threw in a reference to ley lines. So there's one for Joshua. Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a fictional show having ley-lines, but it's on top of all the clear author's voice monologues claiming to be real science/history.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 12:17:06 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32283 on: December 29, 2019, 12:09:32 am »

I'm watching yet another show with a cliched "chuunibyo" character in it.

It's kind of a shame that the show Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! show came out. Originally, Chuunibyo was a general concept: it's short for "middle school 2nd year disease". Which would be about age 14. Originally it meant any cringe-worthy affectation that might afflict you at that age. So it had cross-cultural relevance. i.e. "going goth" at age 14 would count as would affecting being a gangsta rapper, or getting into sci-fi and looking down on people who like other types of media because of it.

The two main types listed by the guy who coined the term were "DQN": fake delinquents basically, who brag about fights and taking drugs when they're really wimps, and "Subcultural" types who latch onto some kind of "special" thing, which they probably know nothing about, but look down on others because of it.

the third type he listed is "Evil Eye" types who actually believe they have superpowers. Ironically, these ones don't seem to really exist in real life, while the vast majority of real-life chuunibyos are of the first two types, but because of that Chuunibyo show many people think chuunibyo is only about the "Evil Eye" type. The point I'm making is that "type 3" Chuunibyos don't really exist: the other two types do.

One ironic exchange I had was with a teenage weeb who argued with me online that the Type 3 Chuunibyo's are the only "true" Chuunibyos. The irony is that merely being a teenage anime fan who is arrogant about it, yet uninformed, is almost exactly the definition of a "subcultural chuunibyo" given by the Japanese guy who coined the term.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:21:03 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32284 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:22 am »

I'm watching yet another show with a cliched "chuunibyo" character in it.

It's kind of a shame that the show Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! show came out. Originally, Chuunibyo was a general concept: it's short for "middle school 2nd year disease". Which would be about age 14. Originally it meant any cringe-worthy affectation that might afflict you at that age. So it had cross-cultural relevance. i.e. "going goth" at age 14 would count as would affecting being a gangsta rapper, or getting into sci-fi and looking down on people who like other types of media because of it.

The two main types listed by the guy who coined the term were "DQN": fake delinquents basically, who brag about fights and taking drugs when they're really wimps, and "Subcultural" types who latch onto some kind of "special" thing, which they probably know nothing about, but look down on others because of it.

the third type he listed is "Evil Eye" types who actually believe they have superpowers. Ironically, these ones don't seem to really exist in real life, while the vast majority of real-life chuunibyos are of the first two types, but because of that Chuunibyo show many people think chuunibyo is only about the "Evil Eye" type. The point I'm making is that "type 3" Chuunibyos don't really exist: the other two types do.

One ironic exchange I had was with a teenage weeb who argued with me online that the Type 3 Chuunibyo's are the only "true" Chuunibyos. The irony is that merely being a teenage anime fan who is arrogant about it, yet uninformed, is almost exactly the definition of a "subcultural chuunibyo" given by the Japanese guy who coined the term.

I agree they are separate things, but the "type 3" do exist. I knew a couple. I might have almost became one, but I grew out of it well before age 14, which disqualifies me, I think. I think the difference is though, whereas the first types are more or less young people struggling to find an identity that's more adult. The type 3 are the ones that refuse to let go of the childhood fantasies. It's basically the difference between trying to rush forward into adulthood or refusing to move past childhood. There's similarities in that neither side really wants to deal with being a "normal teenager". But I can also see the argument that trying out new things and being cringy about it ARE part of being a normal teenager. Which would make the type 3s the only ones that are actually notable.

All that said, wouldn't be the first time the public consciousness took someone's coined word and twisted the meaning of it. Best not to fight over it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32285 on: December 30, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »

A while ago I uncovered Gyari, a Voiceroid artist that makes fuckin' fantastic little shorts for the little wannabe Vocaloids. He just released another one recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFrdGMo684&t=0s

It's about a girl that tryhards at NotPokemon to beat up her friends on stream.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32286 on: December 31, 2019, 10:35:57 am »

Watching Cyber City Oedo 808.

I love the joke of Varsus (the robot) continuing talking while they fade out between scenes. Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We all want that, Bubblegum Crisis.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:39:29 pm by Iduno »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32287 on: January 20, 2020, 07:33:44 pm »

Nice news for international Ghibli fans - Netflix has secured streaming rights for the Ghibli back catalogue in territories outside US/Canada/Japan.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32288 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:59 pm »

Well, due to an inadequate offering of kirara this season I picked up Ishuzoku Reviewers. It's a comfy show about a couple of bros (there's my review) but the reason I'm bring it up is thus: Y'all know that trope where a dude does something a bit sexual and a woman beats him for it? That trope that's generally mocked in the west? For the first time I saw one where I was like "yeah fair enough". Gave me a spot of insight into why it entered the medium in the first place; I suppose that in Japanese culture it wasn't originally directed at the modern herbivore.

Also fair warning before it derails the thread as it's been doing for years: Without bringing up definitions of fan service, it's a show about brothels, so it gets a bit explicit. The Japanese airing is apparently censored but the Taiwanese airing (what I watched) isn't aside from the ED and has full frontal. So, you know. Keep that in mind when deciding if you want to watch it with your kids/parents.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:40:10 pm by Cruxador »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32289 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:03 am »

The trope's pretty prevalent in American comedies as well. I saw a montage once on youtube of different clips of that trope from American shows. Generally it's played straight, that verbal comments from a guy or not knowing some random detail that the woman cares about unironically deserves physical beatings.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DoubleStandardAbuseFemaleOnMale/LiveActionTV
The Cosby Show: There have been times when Cliff forgot something about his wedding (which Clair seems to quiz him on regularly) and she "puts him in a headlock." This includes incredibly minor details like what color his tie was or what kind of gown his mother-in-law wore.
Everybody Loves Raymond is the modern Trope Codifier, with Debra attacking Ray played for humor. Debra seems to delight in beating up her husband Raymond for the most minor mistakes, even when he's done nothing wrong, such as in "The Ride-Along" where she hits him in the chest multiple times after he reveals he accidentally witnessed an attempted robbery. Two seasons later, in "Bad Moon Rising", he finally calls her out for acting this way and she responds by shoving him into the bookshelf so hard that books actually fall (it was that time of the month for her, which only adds to the Unfortunate Implications). The most maddening thing is that Debra gets the studio audience crazy with laughter and cheers every time she does it, (which provides us with even more Unfortunate Implications) and the worst she gets is other characters making lighthearted jokes about her anger issues and cruelty (Ray calling her a "cranky yell machine" but then being instantly rebuked and cowed back into submission by Debra) and then calling Ray a wuss without any actual sympathy. Debra is never actually made to apologize for the pattern of behavior she displays towards Ray, and often it is Ray who gets humiliated and/or forced to apologize at the end of each episode.

The triggers may be a bit different but the intent of the gag is the same.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32290 on: January 29, 2020, 09:44:16 am »

I've got a manga request. An itch to see a specific type time travel/do it all over manga, in which the villain(s) constantly get a sense of "how the fuck did he/she know?". Just constant disruption of plans and shock and awe at how they get crushed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32291 on: January 29, 2020, 10:15:11 am »

That zero anime/manga is the closest thing to it.  Or the Tom Cruise movie with the ayliums.
Otherwise, the cultivator type manga where all the enemies are shocked and awed by how powerful the previously weak/nobody MC is.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32292 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:50 am »

Dredge around shitty isekai/reincarnation junk, yeah. I've definitely ran into plenty foreknowledge centric works over the years. MMO or reincarnated-into-a-video-game based stuff seems particularly common to run with that general theme.

Fair warning, though. I don't think I've ever encountered one that was actually good. Or even particularly mediocre. You're not inquiring into a field likely to produce quality :P

Consequently, I can't remember any names off the top of my head, ahaha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32293 on: February 04, 2020, 01:53:29 pm »

It's a rough genre to do properly, since doing it properly inherently solves the central conceit in a relatively short amount of time. Unless the villain is already the bumbling sort, they're likely to switch things up when they see things going wrong with their plans, which in turn invalidates more and more of the Peggy Sue'd character's foreknowledge until it's basically useless outside of characterization and possibly overarching goal.

Since it doesn't easily lend itself to infinitely moving forward with the plot in circles, mangaka tend not to like it unless they're shoddy enough to think they can just force it.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32294 on: February 04, 2020, 02:12:13 pm »

I've got a manga request. An itch to see a specific type time travel/do it all over manga, in which the villain(s) constantly get a sense of "how the fuck did he/she know?". Just constant disruption of plans and shock and awe at how they get crushed.

You want the ending of Bill and Ted to be a manga?

I'm not judging (because it sounds good), just clarifying.
Pages: 1 ... 2151 2152 [2153] 2154 2155 ... 2191