Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 [2154] 2155 2156 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2801214 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32295 on: February 05, 2020, 09:06:36 am »

Code Geass sort of sounds close, in how Lelouch is always one step ahead of the opposition. It's not time-travel per-se, but it's pre-empting the enemy's reactions through genius planning and setting things up before the event. Clearly, any sort of set up like this only works when the bad guys are nigh-unstoppable.

I guess Mirrai Nikki kinda has some element of that, in that the hero has a phone which displays stuff from the future, so he can anticipate it. But the MC in that is basically not in control, he's reacting to bad news, trying to prevent it coming to pass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:12:32 am by Reelya »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32296 on: February 05, 2020, 12:11:22 pm »

Mirai Nikki is also very bad. You might like it anyway as a guilty pleasure kind of show, but I can’t say I’ve had that experience.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32297 on: February 06, 2020, 07:39:15 am »

Pretty much any series that has a "random civilians roped in to play a death game by rich madman" type plot is generally very bad. It just suggests the writer couldn't think of anything better than that, so they went with that as the framing structure for why a bunch of unrelated people are trying to kill each other. Nothing else needs to make sense or be connected. I've only seen a little of Mirrai Nikki myself.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:41:08 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32298 on: February 06, 2020, 04:44:03 pm »

"A wizard did it" tends to be pretty uncompelling as a plot point, let alone the whole premise of the show.

Sword Art Online illustrates this nicely, when the main character asks the villain why he did it and the dude doesn't even remember. That's how much of an excuse the events were to establish the premise- literally nobody knows why anyone would do that, and obviously it never matters or influences anything.*

*Okay not entirely true, we know he wanted to create a heroes standing against the villain thing and it's part of the reason Kirito is the only one in the world allowed to dual-wield. That fact is still one of the most hilarious instances of Suedom I've ever heard of.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32299 on: February 07, 2020, 07:28:09 pm »

Pretty much any series that has a "random civilians roped in to play a death game by rich madman" type plot is generally very bad. It just suggests the writer couldn't think of anything better than that, so they went with that as the framing structure for why a bunch of unrelated people are trying to kill each other. Nothing else needs to make sense or be connected. I've only seen a little of Mirrai Nikki myself.
It's also not a rich madman in Mirai Nikki. Whatever else that one did, at least it was willing to go balls to the wall.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32300 on: February 07, 2020, 08:31:10 pm »

Weren’t there two rich madmen in Mirai Nikki? One dude with dogs and the ‘final boss’ type bald guy?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32301 on: February 07, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »

Yes there were. I know this because I had the misfortune of watching the whole thing.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32302 on: February 08, 2020, 12:22:25 am »

I read the whole thing in manga form, and didn't think it was that bad, but then I think I was in the target demographic in those days. I don't remember all the specific characters well, but anyway a rich madman wasn't the one responsible for the death game.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32303 on: February 08, 2020, 02:23:28 am »

I used that just an an example of the type of flimsy justification they tend to use for those sorts of series.

"Rich madman" is the fall back if your setting doesn't have magic. The character is only rich because you can justify any amount of resources being thrown at setting stuff up if the guy is rich enough, justifying how he's created whatever fortresses full of idiotic death traps the writer can come up with. If the setting has magic or gods, then you can just say the primary antagonist is an "insane god/devil/warlock/etc", and say he can just magic stuff into existence.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:28:48 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32304 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:58 am »

People are angry about Parasite winning whatever award because Americans think dubs are inherently superior to subs.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32305 on: February 14, 2020, 11:17:23 am »

People are angry about Parasite winning whatever award because Americans think dubs are inherently superior to subs.
What do dubs and subs have to do with people being angry about an anime winning?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32306 on: February 14, 2020, 12:39:11 pm »

What do dubs and subs have to do with people being angry about an anime winning?

The movie is not an anime, it is a Korean movie that people don't like because there are subtitles, and also it won some movie award(s). However, subs and dubs is a thing anime watchers have cared about for quite some time.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32307 on: February 14, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »

Well, there is Parasyte: that manga/anime where you got body snatching aliens who eat other humans
...now I want a crossover of Parasite and Parasyte
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32308 on: February 27, 2020, 10:45:58 am »

I'm watching a minor show from a season or two ago call Cop Craft which is kinda fun.

Opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImE5s4QIglc

The setting is that a portal opened to a fantasy world, and city grew around that location. It's a buddy cop story in a setting with drugs, prostitution, etc, where a "hard-boiled NYC cop" type detective has to pair up with a female "cop" from the fantasy world, who is basically an elven paladin with a very "D&D" attitude to law enforcement, as in if you told her to disarm the suspect she wouldn't hesitate to start dismembering the evildoer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:59:36 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32309 on: February 28, 2020, 11:06:09 am »

Each iteration of Bubblegum Crisis loses a bit of something, but is also a significant improvement.
Pages: 1 ... 2152 2153 [2154] 2155 2156 ... 2191