Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795999 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32325 on: March 04, 2020, 10:51:06 am »

*shrugs* Shonen is about as much of a genre as, say, YA/Young Adult is. Which is to say it's regularly called one but probably inaccurately :P

Though I'd probably say there actually is commonalities between dragon ball and death note, you'd just have to take some steps back to draw them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32326 on: March 04, 2020, 10:58:41 am »

*shrugs* Shonen is about as much of a genre as, say, YA/Young Adult is. Which is to say it's regularly called one but probably inaccurately :P

Though I'd probably say there actually is commonalities between dragon ball and death note, you'd just have to take some steps back to draw them.

"I'll take a senzu bean... and EAT IT!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32327 on: March 04, 2020, 05:02:48 pm »

similar to Harry Potter's "magic is mercury poisoning" fansplanation
Wait, I don't think I know this theory.
I'm sure I could dig up the tumblr post or whatever, but basically: In the Harry Potter universe, magic use is like mercury exposure. You're fine initially, but when you keep doing it for decades on end, it takes a toll. This explains why every adult in the series is either severely eccentric or downright evil, why wizard society in general is so small, isolated, ineffectual, and bizarre, and why children are the only ones able to reliable solve most problems.

It really explains too much for me not to assume it's the case.

Like I said, I think your definition of genre is too narrow.

The thing they have in common is the age group they're targeting. There doesn't have to be anything else.
For what it's worth, I think you're definition is just out wrong. Genre has always been about the nature of content of the work, and what you're describing has always been called something else, along the lines of target audience or demographic.
I think the problem is that there's concentric layers of possible shonen-ness. The tightest layers would be classic battle shonen: Naruto, DBZ, My Hero Academia, etc. It's easy to draw really clear parallels with each of them.

A little outside that, there's a ring of sorta shonen but not quite the same: Sword Art Online, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, maybe Attack on Titan. They've got a lot in common with core shonen, and a lot of the appeal is the same, but they've got noticeable differences as well- if Naruto and Bleach are siblings, Jojo is probably a cousin.

Finally, you've got the stuff that doesn't really have much in common with DBZ or Bleach other than intended audience: Death Note, Food Wars, I assume most sports anime. The similarities are kind of incidental, but still there when you start comparing them to works that aren't shonen at all by any stretch of the term. If One Piece and Jojo are cousins, One Piece and Death Note are probably a dog and a cat- not very similar relative to different breeds of either, but convenient for differentiating them from, say, a moose (Kiki's Delivery Service).

So:

"DBZ is shonen."
"Oh, when does the evil boss gloat about being super powerful, followed by the main character powering up off determination and defeating him with super lasers?"
"...every arc. Probably several times most arcs."

"Jojo is shonen."
"Oh, when does the evil boss gloat about being super powerful, followed by the main character powering up off determination and defeating him with super lasers?"
"...I'm sure that happens but I don't recall exactly when."

"Shokugeki no Soma is shonen."
"...that's not a thing, unless lasers are code for the sheen preventing full visible nudity when everyone's clothes come off."

"DBZ, Jojo, and Shokugeki no Soma are all shonen."
"So they feature a young man with incredible powers fighting against impossible odds with his friends, and you normally discuss the show with young-ish men?"
"Well... one takes place in a kitchen and it's hard to tell on the internet, but yes."

Each tier has situations where it's useful, so each tier gets used sometimes. This can lead to obvious confusion when somebody tries to say "Death Note features some action and high stakes" and somebody else hears "In season 14 the protagonist cuts the moon in half with his eye lasers."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32328 on: March 04, 2020, 05:20:29 pm »

You telling me that doesn't happen in Death Note? Man, that show's been overhyped to me... ;P

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32329 on: March 04, 2020, 05:26:51 pm »

You telling me that doesn't happen in Death Note? Man, that show's been overhyped to me... ;P
Yeah, he only carves a quarter of the moon off. I know, big disappointment.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32330 on: March 04, 2020, 05:31:39 pm »

I'd say shokugeki no soma is a close cousin of battle shonen. Structurally. It's just a substitution of theme. Character 'types' are a big signal of core genre.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #32331 on: March 04, 2020, 07:08:54 pm »

Death Note is definitely a shonen battle anime, though
It's a battle of the minds
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32332 on: March 04, 2020, 08:53:33 pm »

What series has a writer who things lunar destruction is cool but waits (the source material equivalent of) thirteen seasons before doing it?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32333 on: March 04, 2020, 09:36:02 pm »

Sonic Adventure 2 came out after at least 12 other sonic games, and features the moon exploding. Checkmate, atheists.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32334 on: March 04, 2020, 09:41:24 pm »

What series has a writer who things lunar destruction is cool but waits (the source material equivalent of) thirteen seasons before doing it?
I have no idea what the season count was, but Naruto got to that point eventually after a distinct lack of blowing up so much as small mountains.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32335 on: March 19, 2020, 12:19:00 pm »

Superman.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32336 on: March 19, 2020, 12:26:40 pm »

The Tick?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32337 on: March 19, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »

i don't know for sure, but does DBZ count?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32338 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:45 pm »

i don't know for sure, but does DBZ count?
Not even a little. They blew up the moon during Dragnoball, then again during basically the training montage between the first and second villains of DBZ. He made his interest in moon-blowing-up pretty clear from the start.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32339 on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:48 pm »

I made time to watch Cowboy Bebop for the first time, because I'm bored out of my mind and nothing else appeals to me right now.

After a few years of cheap-looking shows that try to fake it with 3D, it's so goddamn refreshing to see 2D animation that looks this good. I have nothing against the broader medium of 3DCG, but trying to emulate a 2D look in 3D graphics isn't very convincing yet---and, in my opinion, a fundamentally wrong-headed endeavor. I'm struggling to think of a comparison, but unless there's a game-changing technique in the works, the "fake 2D" look will always be inferior to actual 2D animation.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 ... 2191