Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795615 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32355 on: April 21, 2020, 11:35:29 am »

Fishing anime looks sweet. Another one in the ever-growing outdoor recreation with moe girls genre.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32356 on: April 22, 2020, 12:38:28 am »

I'm really looking forward to more of it, which is a bad situation to be in with this new hiatus.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32357 on: April 22, 2020, 01:19:20 am »

Well there's moe fishing, camping, mountain climbing, cycling, scuba-diving.

BTW the cycling one was actually pretty decent too. At the end I felt like I could go another season, as opposed to the "thank god i finished this" feeling.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32358 on: April 22, 2020, 02:07:58 am »

Moentain climbing
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32359 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:46 pm »

Hey anyone seen Maria the Virgin (Witch)? Apparently it's got a fabulously realistic depiction of the hundred years war and time-period accurate combat techniques while also being a short magical girl story?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32360 on: April 22, 2020, 09:21:13 pm »

Yeah I've seen it. It's a mixed bag. I recall realistic depictions of armor and weapons, and also abundant fanservice and other incongruent elements.

I wouldn't say it's in the "magical girl" (mahou shoujo) genre, because that really means specific tropes which this show doesn't have, the same as the anime "flying witch" isn't a "magical girl" show either, despite both having girls who can do magic.

Both shows are in fact "fantasy / slice-of-life" genre (or just "witch" genre, maybe), but in the case of Maria, her story collides with a war story. So it's about a girl with superpowers who flies around in an extremely slutty outfit trying to stop a war during the ... circa 14th century? You'll get many more loving shots of Maria's sexy outfit than any armor or weapons of the soldiers, and her outfit is definitely not historically correct dress. It's like something from a goth nightclub.

Overall I didn't consider it to be entirely noteworthy in the end. It's been quite a while since it aired so maybe I'm not doing it justice however the lasting impression wasn't that it was a realistic depiction of 14th century warfare.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:42:30 pm by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32361 on: April 22, 2020, 09:39:39 pm »

Thanks for the 411 dood

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32362 on: April 23, 2020, 02:54:36 am »

BTW I don't think any of that was actually spoilers xD, you can glean just about everything I wrote by looking up the official trailer. The first giveaway is the pic they decided to use as the placeholder for the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29gaSlNJB8

The bit I forgot is that the other witches mostly look like slutty chicks from a weird underground nightclub, too. The other witches generally wear less clothes, but they put much more effort into depicting Maria's outfit, so it feels sluttier. One of the other witches seems to be wearing thigh-high leather boots, hotpants, a boob-tube, a pointy hat and a cloak. In the 14th century. Basically it's a halloween costume sexy witch.

I can't say I recommend it as a show. Literally the only good thing I've heard about it is that you can pause it and note that the buckles on people's leather armor are historically correct. The anti-war themes are about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face, as you can tell from the trailer too. Kinda fails the "show don't tell" test.

EDIT: I'll just suggest some better shows now.

Yona of the Dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDoGESooFw

Altair: A record of battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FagTYPQM9-o

Arslan Senki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOh3SgRPS4

The point being: all these shows have much better plots than Maria: The Virgin Witch. Better world-building, politics and battles. They have fights and battles where the characters have a stake in the outcomes, whereas in Maria, it's just an overpowered super-girl flying around getting in the way of a battle and going "gee everyone! battles are bad! stop having a battle!" She doesn't actually have any stakes in the battle herself because she's so OP and is a pure bystander.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:32:41 am by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32363 on: April 24, 2020, 09:37:13 am »

Thanks for the reccs, I will check em out!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32364 on: April 25, 2020, 06:38:30 pm »

Oh shit, I just learned that a new Bleach anime has been announced last month, to come out sometime next year. For all its faults, the original series has been my Dragonball of sorts, something I watched trough my early years and enjoyed the shit out of, hell it's the reason why I love masks so much. Gotta say, I'm kinda excited to see how the whole thing ends even if I have been spoiled to the manga ending (and how silly it all gets).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32365 on: April 25, 2020, 11:23:35 pm »

Oh shit, I just learned that a new Bleach anime has been announced last month, to come out sometime next year. For all its faults, the original series has been my Dragonball of sorts, something I watched trough my early years and enjoyed the shit out of, hell it's the reason why I love masks so much. Gotta say, I'm kinda excited to see how the whole thing ends even if I have been spoiled to the manga ending (and how silly it all gets).

Here I thought Tite Kubo was busy making Sakura Wars games now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32366 on: April 30, 2020, 12:33:00 am »

I work from home now, got all my work done and now have about 1 hour of anime watching to look forward to on the company dime ;)

Getting paid to sit here watching anime is a first for me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32367 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:57 am »

I've been paid to shop for manga before, heh. More than once, even, so far. Didn't spend much time reading it (mostly just a quick content check*), when the orders finally came in, but still.

* In which I found out I totally did not remember the gigantic djinn tiddies in Magi. Whoops.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32368 on: April 30, 2020, 02:05:56 pm »

I've been paid to shop for manga before, heh. More than once, even, so far. Didn't spend much time reading it (mostly just a quick content check*), when the orders finally came in, but still.

* In which I found out I totally did not remember the gigantic djinn tiddies in Magi. Whoops.

Yeah, tends to be a miscommunication of the target age range in a lot of that stuff, due to the animation age ghetto.

On that point I saw a video doing a breakdown of the time 4kids bought the rights to One Piece. 4kids thought it was a kiddie show, but once they got it they realized their mistake. But by this point there were already 200 episodes out. So it's clear they just went a bought a lot of episodes of something none of them had ever read or watched. This kind of points out what a pure content mill 4kids was. Instead of doing something sensible with this license they'd accidentally bought that didn't fit their intended market (8 year olds) they then doubled-down and tried to reedit a late-teens show to fit the broadcast rules for little kids. Of course, it was a shitshow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWLkXj-Qa4
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 02:12:24 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32369 on: April 30, 2020, 04:54:01 pm »

Eh, I mean, I had read Magi before, or at least a good chunk of it, for what it's worth. Wasn't even really miscommunication, per se, as other than that the first few volumes passed my boss's muster without much of a problem.

I just didn't remember the gigantic djinn tiddies with the nipple chain thing. Boss wasn't okay with the huge genie bazongas or their chains :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 ... 2191