Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2799508 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32415 on: July 22, 2020, 02:06:04 pm »

Just a weird habit. As for Umineko, i, as i mentioned, love half of music in it and can't stand the other, so i decided to do without both and go over all the music later. About a year later, as it happens.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:08:21 pm by MCreeper »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32416 on: July 22, 2020, 02:31:16 pm »

Hey, uh, thanks again for lecturing me about how I'm too American to understand one-season animation

Well if you don't want to discuss a point, don't make it a point to start with. you're the one who singled out that one thing I wrote and questioned it, not me. Whether or not 1-cour animes count as a series was your talking point, not mine.

As for the other stuff, yep, that's context. I'm not talking about the novels specifically. All those titles I mentioned are other anime. The traits you mentioned as being notable are all extremely average traits for that genre. Pointing out that most of those series comes from a similar medium is just to highlight exactly how generic those things all are. 99% of series that started out as light novels are extremely cookie-cutter.

Look at Highschool DxD for the closest exact analogue for the Dekinai show. In both series the hero is a lewd guy who forms a contract with a sexy red-haired demon-type character. In both series they get stabbed / die before forming the contract during the first episode. In Dekinai, her source of power is his lewdness, and in Highschool DxD, he develops special powers based on his lewdness, which he uses to support her as his master in the contract. Virtually everything in that series is cookie-cutter lifted from other similar series: the Dekinai guy launched his series about 18 months after Highschool DxD came out.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:53:27 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32417 on: July 22, 2020, 03:16:44 pm »

Bbbbrgh, I was never out to make the point of what is, or isn't a series. What a hill I've been killed on.

Look, i'm just responding to that point since you keep bringing it up, you're the only one keeping yourself on any hill.

That it's all lifted straight out of DxD, well, this makes a lot more sense to me. Guess my standard isn't high when it comes to trash animation. Or light novelature, since this is our bent now.

The light novel thing was really an aside, to give some context on why certain series are all similar. It can be a good litmus test though. If you look at things like season charts they'll tell you where specific series came from. You can scroll through seasons here:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

LNs aren't all bad. This season they have more of Re:Zero and Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Re:Zero if you want something actiony or Yahari Ore for highschool stuff. Or Sword Art Online for trashy stuff. At least it's original trashy stuff, since it spawned a whole lot of copycats.

There's one LN adaptation this season that looks like the same dreck we're talking about though. This is the pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the plot, it's about a reincarnated demon king going to highschool with cute girls. The same general concept as that one I mentioned Demon King Dai Maou.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:30:20 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32418 on: July 22, 2020, 06:37:58 pm »

I think the one I liked best was Isekai Shokudou. In that one, there's a restaurant in Japan (that does international food) and it's got a door that's a portal to a fantasy world than blinks around the place. Various monsters and adventurer types end up in the restaurant and try Earth food. Manages to be slice of life but do a surprising amount of world-building about the fantasy world itself, despite mostly being set in the restaurant.

Probably the lamest one I saw was In Another World with My Smartphone. In which surprisingly, an otaku is transported to a fantasy world and his smartphone is made magical. If anyone had an instant-win button, it's this guy. The girls are cute and it's low stress, those are the only good things about it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:43:43 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32419 on: July 22, 2020, 07:15:55 pm »

Smartphone was largely inoffensive, frankly. It's bad in a more objective sense, like most schlock isekai, but relative to isekai in general it's definitely not bottom barrel. MC was largely a not terrible person, even with the cheats they had access to, and that alone sets them a good few rungs off the bottom.

Bottom barrel has pretty damn atrocious MCs doing a constant parade of heinous shit, on top of largely managing to be boring and poorly written. Smartphone was just kinda' mediocre and functionally without conflict, which is just... there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32420 on: July 23, 2020, 12:34:24 am »

Well I dd choose the word "lamest" rather than "worst" for the same reason. But then again I don't tend to devour all the new isekai series when they come out, so no doubt there are some more horrible ones.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32421 on: July 23, 2020, 08:51:41 am »

Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32422 on: July 23, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Bottom barrel has pretty damn atrocious MCs doing a constant parade of heinous shit, on top of largely managing to be boring and poorly written.
I am curious about what sort of things are counted as heinous shit.

Granted a hell of a lot of protagonists are boring/brain dead in complexity and it is everyone else around them that carries the story, but are part of the harem or something similar.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32423 on: July 23, 2020, 04:27:56 pm »

Regular rape, mass murder, occasional outright genocide, various forms of wildly abused mind control, etc., etc., etc. Like, take a moment to contemplate the fetishes of a power tripping creep able and willing to write their character with functionally unlimited power. This is your bottom barrel isekai. It's literary sewage.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32424 on: July 23, 2020, 04:43:32 pm »

Weebtrash for the very trashiest of the weebtrash. Peak garbo. Made for and by the most immature and entitled tier of incel.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32425 on: July 23, 2020, 04:59:38 pm »

what does greta garbo have to do with it?
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32426 on: July 24, 2020, 10:22:31 pm »

You know, I'm only basing this on the last two seasons (we're around the third episode which is the time I usually start picking up shows) but is it just me or are school settings resurging a bit? Seems like isekai are subsiding too (partially in favor of actual fantasy), although less obviously.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32427 on: July 24, 2020, 11:44:40 pm »

I remember on one site, maybe MAL forums, someone trying to downplay the amount of isekai. Probably the typical rabid fan of something that can't bear even the slightest criticism. This was at peak isekai, and that season I counted 9 things that fit into the isekai trope, though including SAO in that by extension: basically most modern isekai are effectively about being trapped in an MMORPG-like fantasy world, rather than being transported to a general fantasy world. The new isekais are all about stats, classes, parties and gear, so the whole thing is inspired by MMOs and/or computer RPGs specifically. Whether or not the alternate world they go into is real or virtual is not important, that's just setting fluff, not the core genre mechanics.

So, this guy was saying that because 40+ other shows came out in the same season that weren't isekai, then there really weren't that many isekai's coming out and saying 9 isekai shows in one season was near-saturation was exaggeration. But, 9 per season effective meant a new isekai adaptation was starting every 10 days on average, at least at this point which was a year or two ago. The fact that other stuff was airing in between is unrelated.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:53:19 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32428 on: July 25, 2020, 07:28:38 am »

I watched Kengan Ashura on Netflix, just for the violence.

It varies between genuinely interesting characters (cop who has a twisted sense of justice) and who-came-up-with-this-nonsense characters (a doctor that has performed various different types of surgeries on their own body).

I have noticed myself enjoying the art style of anime a bit more. I think they use CG for some of the characters because the way they move is pretty cool, even for the non-fighting parts.

Eagerly awaiting part 3 so they can finish the tournament.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32429 on: July 25, 2020, 09:37:06 am »

Kengan Ashura has really nailed the CG artstyle, it's really impressive where a lot of other CG anime just suffer for it.

Also, as someone who's read ahead in the manga, the anime will need at least a couple more parts to finish the tournament. The anime is going at a very quick pace, but even at the fastest pace imaginable it'll need atleast 2 more parts.
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 2191