Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 1739040 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32505 on: October 18, 2019, 10:36:00 am »

It's that tominoesque sorta thing, calling it Gundam when really it's just giant robot anime.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32506 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:58 pm »

IDK, some of the Tomino series were terrible an even less related to the main Gundam story than some of the non-Tomino ones. He directed Gundam Reconguista in G. If anyone else had directed it but the end result was identical it would have been written off as that "tominoesque sorta thing" with the fake Gundam name attached. So even he gets roped into making unrelated giant robot animes and putting the Gundam name on them. Whereas there are some non-Tomino series which actually are set in the same universe / continuity. Gundam: War in the Pocket is an example. That was the first non-Tomino directed one.

This guy is more akin to the post-prequels George Lucas. Would you say that Rogue One is fake-star-wars less worthy than Phantom Menace because Rogue One was just a "Lucas-esque" effort?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 04:36:37 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32507 on: October 18, 2019, 05:25:59 pm »

(It was a FLCL reference)
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32508 on: October 18, 2019, 10:51:55 pm »

I don't get it, where was there a reference in either your or Futurka's post? Futurka only mentions that Tomino doesn't want to sign Gundam stuff he wasn't directly involved in, because funnily enough in 40 years he didn't personally make all the Gundam spin-offs. It's equivalent to George Lucas not wanting to sign your copy of The Last Jedi. This isn't a reference to people trying to get Tomino to sign random giant robot stuff such as FLCL models, just non-Tomino Gundams. People just haven't done their homework about which series he actually made, so since he's the "Gundam Guy" they want him to sign their Gundam merch. It is official Gundam merch, it just had nothing to do with that guy.

Is there some reference that's going over my head in your post? Because "tominoesque sorta thing, calling it Gundam when really it's just giant robot anime" describes literally dozens of different franchises, not just, and not especially FLCL, since FLCL isn't a "tominoesque sorta thing" at all, since the robots aren't mecha in that, they don't have pilots, which is the key "tominoesque sorta thing". A "tominoesque" thing isn't a thing with big robots in it, it's a military drama focusing on pilots, who happen to pilot human-shaped mecha. They could be tank drivers, or fighter pilots and the story would be exactly the same.

FLCL is a nod back to the pre-Gundam "super robot" genre in which the robots were self-controlled, such as Giant Robo, Gigantor etc. This was the whole thing that "tominoesque" series were an innovation away from.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:16:16 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32509 on: October 19, 2019, 01:57:35 am »

He was quoting FLCL
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32510 on: October 19, 2019, 02:18:02 am »

Oh right, so that's out of that manga montage bit? That thing's a million miles an hour, I'm amazed anyone's pulled any quotes out of it.

But I guess that's the difference between me, who cared enough to watch the whole thing only one time (and maybe have sat through the first episode a total of 2-3 times) vs a lot of people who've seen it like 15 times on Toonami.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:22:48 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32511 on: October 19, 2019, 02:34:09 am »

I bet she does it like a weasel!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32512 on: October 19, 2019, 04:59:45 am »

I just finished I think episode twelve of Tokyo Ghoul season 3 ( Technically Tokyo Ghoul: RE ) and boy this show is crazy.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32513 on: October 19, 2019, 05:45:08 am »

I finally finished Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions 2 seasons and cried at both of them. I thought this would be a fun little anime with Rikka being cuteness incarnate but no that anime had to whip on the emotions like a snapped cable.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32514 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:21 am »

3 manga recommendations, mostly on the comedy side of things:

Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband
Former yakuza is house husband.  Mostly slice of life.

Hinamatsuri
Yakuza adopts lazy girl with telekinetic powers.

Master Drifting Away Again/Master Disconnecting Again
Setting is one of those cultivator type things, but the MC doesn't care and just wants to live an easy life.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32515 on: October 21, 2019, 10:03:03 am »

Gokushufudou is excellent. 50% of what makes it so great is that it has a classic film noir aesthetic - detailed art, lots of low angles, hardboiled people all over the place - and it plays into it as hard as possible before slamming on the subversions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #32516 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:39 am »

SEQUEL PROJECT TO MUV LUV ALTERNATIVE TITLED MUV LUV INTEGRATE THAT WILL BE THE MERGING POINT OF THE ENTIRETY OF ALL THE MUV LUV STORIES AND AN ANIME ADAPTATION OF MUV LUV ALTERNATIVE JUST GOT ANNOUNCED

ALSO A REMAKE OF RUMBLING HEARTS IF THAT’S MORE YOUR THING
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:00:31 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #32517 on: October 22, 2019, 12:03:20 pm »

Despite all the VNs I’ve consumed in the past, I’ve never gotten around to the Muv Luv series...
Perhaps I should
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32518 on: October 24, 2019, 09:09:29 am »

Gokushufudou is excellent. 50% of what makes it so great is that it has a classic film noir aesthetic - detailed art, lots of low angles, hardboiled people all over the place - and it plays into it as hard as possible before slamming on the subversions.
I love the way the dude obviously still thinks in Yakuza terms, despite the problems being decidedly mundane and non-threatening.

Latest chapter he's teaching a kid subtraction by drawing little figures of a crime lord and his underlings before asking how many remain if seven guys are "whacked".

And of course the wife being scarier than the hard-boiled ex-criminal is a classic, almost cliche trope, but it's so cheesy it's good.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32519 on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 [2168] 2169