Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2098233 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32520 on: November 25, 2020, 09:56:05 pm »

Yeah it would be nice to delay stuff but I get the feeling many of the companies wouldn't survive that. A lot of TV anime studios are literally only a few episodes ahead of broadcast dates, and margins are razor thin.

Just another thing about 2020.

As for the voice acting being different, well I'd have to check that out with the subbed version, see if it's something specific to the original vs whoever is doing the dub. How a character comes off can be heavily affected by the dub, even if the script is the same. With Hachiman being a cynic, it would be easy to skirt the line from resigned cynic to haughty asshole pretty easily just by inflecting the lines differently.

I never thought it's the genre that particularly gets hi-res graphics however, so maybe catch some middle episodes from season 2 to refresh on how those look.

filled with the annoying para-language (gasps, hums, etc) anime trope

Is this a dub-specific thing? Maybe that's due to having to pad things out to allow for differences in the pacing of the language when it's translated. If it is anime-specific that's probably because anime is the largest segment of overseas dubbed content people are familiar with.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:09:05 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32521 on: November 25, 2020, 10:44:36 pm »

I found someone that has done some awesome MMD interpretations of Vtuber moments. Just these two vids just blew me away at how perfect the body language and facial expressions are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUR0Wr-MhVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzCJYLftNhg

The guy's channel is full of stuff like that, but those two were my favorites.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32522 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:40 pm »

As for the voice acting being different, well I'd have to check that out with the subbed version, see if it's something specific to the original vs whoever is doing the dub. How a character comes off can be heavily affected by the dub, even if the script is the same. With Hachiman being a cynic, it would be easy to skirt the line from resigned cynic to haughty asshole pretty easily just by inflecting the lines differently.

No, it's much beyond simple line readings, it is part of the animation. Two examples: 1) Hachiman geeks out over seeing a vending machine styled in the form of his favored canned coffee brand. He's almost a starry-eyed teenager swooning over meeting a pop idol in person. 2) While in class, he gets a message that the results of the entrance exams have been posted. He immediately jumps from his chair and breathlessly runs to view the postings to confirm whether his sister passed or not. While his affection for his sister is cloaked by cynical jibes (with Komachi returning as much as she takes), the energy expenditure in these scenes well exceed anything he's shown previously. As I say, maybe the LN showed more of this side of him earlier and it just wasn't included in the S1 and S2 adaptations, making it seem inconsistent when they do include some of it.

Comparatively, a bit later, he also runs to help Yukinoshita, but that was a time-sensitive matter and he had some distance to cover. Maybe there's a cultural disconnect and I just don't understand the urgency in knowing the results of a high school entrance exam.

filled with the annoying para-language (gasps, hums, etc) anime trope

Is this a dub-specific thing? Maybe that's due to having to pad things out to allow for differences in the pacing of the language when it's translated. If it is anime-specific that's probably because anime is the largest segment of overseas dubbed content people are familiar with.

As I understand it, it is a Japanese thing, but it gets ported into dubs where it is extremely out of place. English speakers have their own sub-verbal vocalizations, of course, but to simply copy them 1:1 from the original language just doesn't work. It sounds unnatural. It's not due to padding; if anything, English translations are often feel rushed to me, presumably because it is trying to translate a concept or phrase that is easily or quickly communicated but has no simple equivalent in English. I certainly hope they're not adding extra sounds that didn't exist in the original just to pad a scene, but then there is other behavior in dub translations that don't make sense to me either, so what do I know.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32523 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:10 pm »

Maybe if you could recommend a specific scene out of that show where they do that we could have a look at the same clip from the Japanese version and see how it compares.

EDIT
https://gamerant.com/doom-eternal-vtuber-easter-egg-gone/
The Easter egg in question is a nod to Japanese Virtual YouTuber Inugami Korone. The Hololive vtuber played through Doom in 2016 and her fans created the meme "DOOG" to celebrate it. Korone's digital avatar is a dog, after all. To celebrate her playthrough, and perhaps id's love of vtubers in general, the studio added a "DOOG ETERNAL" Easter egg in Doom Eternal. Players just needed to activate the chainsaw four times from Doom Eternal's rune selection screen and a Doog Eternal logo would be shown.

What's odd isn't the addition of the Doog Eternal Easter egg, though. It's that id has decided to remove the Easter egg. In id's 3.1 patch notes, published on October 23, id announced that "The DOOG easter egg has been removed, but will live in infamy." id goes on to explain that it was surprised how quickly the Doom community was able to find the Easter egg. The implication being that it was the discovery of the DOOG Easter egg that led to id removing it.

The article gets the year wrong however, this shit didn't exist in 2016.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:58:05 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32524 on: November 26, 2020, 12:52:27 pm »

1) Hachiman geeks out over seeing a vending machine styled in the form of his favored canned coffee brand. He's almost a starry-eyed teenager swooning over meeting a pop idol in person.

Dunno about the LN but I'm pretty sure this happens in the manga too, mostly for laughs with the way Hachiman doesn't really care about anything else.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32525 on: November 26, 2020, 12:57:39 pm »

I'd probably agree here. Saying that it's out of character to get excited about something because he's a character known for not getting excited about things doesn't sound realistic. Real people do in fact do unexpected things, far more unexpected than most fictional people.

With "almost ... a starry eyed teenager". Remember he is in fact really a teenager. Being disaffected all the time is a type of defense mechanism. He see something he really likes and the facade slips, that's what they were conveying.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:56:41 pm by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32526 on: December 18, 2020, 08:24:22 pm »

I've started up Haikyuu and I'm really lovin' in so far. It's in that same vein of 'highschool boys doing sports REAL GOOD' that Diamond no Ace and Yowapedal were in that I'm a total sucker for. Back when I was in highschool, I was so asthmatic that just doing warmups had me gasping and sucking on my inhaler; but if I wasn't such an invalid, it'd have been cool to have done some kind of sport. I just really crave the kind of camaraderie and passion that oozes out of these kinds of shows.

I suspect you will like Ping-Pong: The Animation.
nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and former mafia subforum badass.

don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32527 on: December 19, 2020, 03:21:28 am »

I've watched that from beginning to end like 5+ times :) Always makes me want to play some ping pong.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32528 on: December 19, 2020, 12:48:15 pm »

Excellent. Did you try the manga too? I hear it's also good. Haven't read it yet though.

don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32529 on: December 19, 2020, 01:11:31 pm »

All this time, and I thought that Ping Pong was anime-only... honestly, I should have checked, it's just that the art style made it seem like it wasn't adapted from a manga, so I assumed it wasn't. I'll have to look up the manga for sure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32530 on: December 19, 2020, 02:43:47 pm »

I know, right? I feel kind of similarly about Mob Psycho 100. "Someone . . . drew this? And you published it?"

I'm excited to hear how it is. Don't have time right now to check it out myself, but . . . maybe someday . . .

don't quote me.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32531 on: January 08, 2021, 10:58:46 am »

The Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka? anime is shaping up to be absolutely excellent. My only gripe is that the classmates get too much screentime.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32532 on: January 08, 2021, 11:37:03 am »

Nice! The manga definitely lends itself to adaptation, a well-done one actually makes me want to check it out.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32533 on: January 08, 2021, 01:57:53 pm »

Didn't even realize there was an anime for it coming out. The LN or whatever it is is pretty adorable (airheaded red in tooth and claw with status screens is apparently my jam, it turns out), and the manga I managed to get ordered for the place I work was pretty nice, so... might actually see about checking it out. Been a while since I watched much animated...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32534 on: January 09, 2021, 07:23:07 am »

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?
For some reason i thought it was about tiny pink spider sulking in a corner.

Got a weird thought: is there a Bored of the Rings-style parody on Fate? I'm sure there is something better than that even in seemingly numerous and succesfull franchise-milking attempts, but i'm morbidly curious about BotR specifically. And maybe this better thing while we are at it.  :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:28:05 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171