Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2762910 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32595 on: December 18, 2021, 07:49:58 pm »

Yeah... I think Lala (if that's who you're referencing) is supposedly older than she looks, but still only like 17 or somethin' like that. If basically everything related to her (I had somehow missed Char found her working in a brothal...) makes you uncomfortable it kinda' should, though I'm less sure how much Char's Counterattack's creator thinks that, too. Char's characterization has had a lot of shit flung at it over the years due to his interactions regarding that, though.

He's definitely, like... not a good person, in any case, or fighting for a good cause (though it's kinda' hard to say who is, exactly, as the feds are giant sacks of shit, too, they're just mostly less competent about their genocide, lol). If that's your takeaway, you paid attention, heh.

... he is usually on the side of the best looking mecha, though. Gundam/GM design is ass, if it ain't thicc it ain't good lookin' :P

Zaku forever!
Lalah wasn't who I meant, but she kinda is!  She's dead during the events of this movie, and yet the protagonist and antagonist are seeing visions of her and using her as motivation.  I had no idea she was also young. 

No, I'm talking about Quess.  She acts like a literal twelve year old throughout the entire movie.  I guess she looks like a typical young-adult character, which is good, but she's so immature.

I get that she's a young person foisted with destiny because she psychically attunes to the alien gundams, much like the protagonist. That's cool.
I'm weirded out that the antagonist plays her off against his significant other.  But that's fine, narratively.  In summation:
The bad colonist neo-human wants to destroy the disgusting heirarchies of Terra.  But to do so, he is nice to a young girl.

And also there's a protagonist who just wants to protect all humans or whatever.  Boring.  He and the antagonist keep dreaming about Lala but I found the protagonist completely uninteresting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32596 on: December 18, 2021, 10:22:17 pm »

Yeah, I had forgotten quess exists, not gon' lie. That one's actually 13, checking, so you're entirely free to continue seeing everything related to that as sketchy as hell. Extra sketchy, even. Extra extra sketchy if you scope some of the supporting material* :-\

I actually can't even remember if I've seen char's counterattack. Like, probably, because there was a period years ago I spent watching through a lot of the older bits of the franchise, but... yeah. Not much in the way of strong memory of it.

... though yeah, amuro's pretty milquetoast for... a lot of the series (which is interesting in some ways 'cause he's killed like a lot of people over the course of it all). Honestly a lot better in several of the SRW games, where at least he's got legit chops as one of the most skilled and experienced real robot pilots in the series, and the SRW stuff plays that up pretty well a good few times. SRW's got notably decent writing for what amounts to a giant pile of officially published massive crossover fanfics, really...

*There's an official novel/LN that has an illustration of 'er straddling char in her underwear, apparently. Folks doing content control couldn't countenance amuro with a family, but that was a-okay!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32597 on: December 19, 2021, 07:25:57 am »

Yeah... I think Lala (if that's who you're referencing) is supposedly older than she looks, but still only like 17 or somethin' like that.

I thought the teletubbies were supposed to be like, toddlers

Entirely off-topic question, but did the telethon idea telethon he’s there is no telethon ffs autocorrect did the Teletubbies get translated to Swedish, and were the names of the teletubbies changed at all?

I couldn't remember, but apparently it was just dubbed and they kept the names, even with the englishy inflection :(
Love, scriver~

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32598 on: December 19, 2021, 06:14:16 pm »

Off the usual deal there, but i like works of this mangaka too much to not link them somewhere. Highlights: Touhou girls nonchalantly eating people,  ;) silly and evil Suwako,  ;D lame jokes,  ::) sometimes general gloomines. Somehow, most "comedy"-tagged parts are unfunny at best.
EDIT: Most liked, in order of decreasing: Kaminare, Dancers of the Boundary, Before the Rainbow, Hungry Tiger, Last Supper.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 09:13:24 pm by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32600 on: January 05, 2022, 05:50:26 pm »

I can't agree with that position. Art isn't derived from suffering. If you don't like your medium don't work in it or learn to like it. As for Hayao Miyazaki he is (as far as I can tell from his public appearances) a prickly old man who I'd rather be a happy old man who had made a couple of movies fewer.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32601 on: January 06, 2022, 02:10:04 am »

I'm bad at unpacking layers of irony but I usually take Miyazaki's famous statement as typical artist self...criticism.  Back when I was a creator I sure felt like that.  I would take his angst seriously, but not as an actual denouncement of the medium.
Guy just worries that maybe making some of the best animes of all time is sort of silly and bad and he isn't good enough, and his life's work is trash and the entire medium is trash and everything is trash, actually.
That's how I read it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32602 on: January 06, 2022, 04:19:26 am »

The context, if how it was explained to me is correct, is more about the darker sides of escapism, such as "otaku-ness" and the "cult of cute", than the medium itself,  and about the parts of the industry that cater to or indulge in these less than healthy cultures.
Love, scriver~

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32603 on: January 06, 2022, 05:05:59 am »

I'm bad at unpacking layers of irony but I usually take Miyazaki's famous statement as typical artist self...criticism.  Back when I was a creator I sure felt like that.  I would take his angst seriously, but not as an actual denouncement of the medium.
Guy just worries that maybe making some of the best animes of all time is sort of silly and bad and he isn't good enough, and his life's work is trash and the entire medium is trash and everything is trash, actually.
That's how I read it.
I mean, I read it as memers/trolls making shit up that he never said. Cause ya know, he didn't say the whole "anime is a mistake" thing.
Quote from: Actual Miyazaki stuff
You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!.
He certainly has had some pretty strong criticism of the industry and otaku (and note that otaku has a much much harsher meaning in Japan than in America where weebs just use it to call themselves anime nerds), but not on that level of the pics in that tweet.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32604 on: January 24, 2022, 07:11:30 pm »

I would watch a full-length anime based on the billiards opening of the third Project A-ko movie.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32605 on: March 02, 2022, 07:39:26 pm »

Discovered yet another touhou fan anime while browsing tvtropes, The Sealed Esoteric History. Its nice (can't say the same about english subs). Unusual take, certainly. And it is whole total of 2 half-hour episodes long.  ::)  Though they, after a 5 years long hiatus, apparently announced a third one. Commenters estimate that it will appear somewhere or another in 1-2 years.

And once again i'm baffled about apparent lack of correlation between views\downloads on a thing i would be interested in and my awareness of it. First episode has almost a million of views on youtube, and have i, a touhou fan, heard about it in those five years? Nay, sir, not even once. First bafflement was with Dreaming Mary, obscure little game, and it's 100000 downloads. Where did i first heard about it? On chanell of youtuber who does fan songs on this kind of games. Although, if one considers that 100000 is not even 1\10000 of Earth's pupulation, it becomes somewhat less surprising.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32606 on: March 02, 2022, 08:59:10 pm »

How deep are you into the RPG maker horror fandom if I may ask? Dreaming Mary's one of the big classics so I'm surprised to hear that you haven't heard of it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then boy are you in for a treat. There's a whole host of games like Dreaming Mary that you'll get to discover. I personally recommend Lilly's Well. Don't google it cause of spoilerific images, you can just download it for free on steam.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32607 on: March 03, 2022, 09:01:16 am »

How deep are you into the RPG maker horror fandom if I may ask? Dreaming Mary's one of the big classics so I'm surprised to hear that you haven't heard of it.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then boy are you in for a treat. There's a whole host of games like Dreaming Mary that you'll get to discover. I personally recommend Lilly's Well. Don't google it cause of spoilerific images, you can just download it for free on steam.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:09:21 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32608 on: March 07, 2022, 09:35:58 pm »

The first 4 Project A-ko episodes/movies are good stuff. Parodies of other animes, as well as being entertaining in their own right. Also, frequently very stupid.

Uncivil Wars (the 5th and 6th episode/movies and a different continuity) are like they tried to make a serious anime, mostly. Still entertaining, and the second one where they explain the plot is...I mean, I guess it's a plan.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:48:44 pm by Iduno »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32609 on: March 17, 2022, 02:55:27 pm »

Well, for better or worse, it sounds like we're getting two more seasons of FLCL.
Slated to release in 2023.
Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 ... 2191