Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2802086 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32610 on: March 17, 2022, 03:30:54 pm »

I actually never watched Season 2 of FLCL, I was just too concerned about the magic of the original getting destroyed in front of my eyes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32611 on: March 17, 2022, 04:45:40 pm »

I didn't even notice more seasons of it existed, I don't think. If I did, I've forgotten I did. Neat, I guess...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32612 on: April 01, 2022, 04:33:48 am »

Just watched Tenchi in Love and Tenchi in Love 2. Both movies slap, but especially the second one is like a punch to the face, and nothing you’d expect to come out of that franchise. That said I think you’d need to watch some of the franchise* for the build-up, which I did too and it was enjoyable. Nothing incredible but pretty fun still. The Tenchi franchise branched out like crazy in the 90s, and while I weren’t there to observe and partake in it, I can see why.

*I watched OVA 1, the bonus episode between OVA 1 and 2, OVA 2, Tenchi Universe, and then the two movies mentioned above.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32613 on: April 20, 2022, 12:32:34 am »

I keep meaning to ask, but does anyone know any brutally violent animes with halfway decent plots to them?

I watched the first bit of Kengan Ashura a while back, and I have Baki and various Berserk movies and series in watch lists on some streaming platforms, but are there any other ones out there?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32614 on: April 20, 2022, 02:32:27 am »

I keep meaning to ask, but does anyone know any brutally violent animes with halfway decent plots to them?

I watched the first bit of Kengan Ashura a while back, and I have Baki and various Berserk movies and series in watch lists on some streaming platforms, but are there any other ones out there?
The Ninja Scroll movie (I never saw the show) is pretty good and fits the bill of being a very violent anime with a more substantial and enjoyable plot than a low-budget 80s OAV. Other than that, I can't think of too many.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32615 on: April 20, 2022, 04:09:36 am »

It has been a while since I’ve seen that one.

I watched a couple of episodes of the series but got annoyed at Jubei just using his super sword to solve all his problems.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32616 on: April 20, 2022, 09:15:57 am »

Violence and gore has been tamed out of the modern anime industry for the most part. For what you're looking for, you'll probably want to search for older animes.

The 90's OVA of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure always struck me as very violent and gorey. It is superior to the modern David Productions Jojo IMO.

Ninja Scroll is super excellent for your needs.

The OVA for Osamu Tezuka's Black Jack is IMO some of the best animation ever. Though the blood in that one isn't from harming, but from surgery.

And, of course, you can always seek out Fist of the North Star if all you want is manly and muscular dudes punching and exploding eachother to death for 100+ episodes on end. It's a classic for a reason, and it partly inspired Kenta Miura when creating Berserk.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 09:18:09 am by JoshuaFH »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32617 on: April 20, 2022, 01:12:20 pm »

Goku Midnight Eye and the sequel aren't quite as brutal as some, but have a mostly-coherent plot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32618 on: April 20, 2022, 09:00:39 pm »

You might think about checking out Shigurui (aka Death Frenzy), a Studio Madhouse animated adaptation of the manga series sharing the same name. It's a period drama taking place in Edo Japan, and it holds very little back when it comes to the brutality, fanaticism, or corruption of that time period. While the blurbs will talk up a duel between two samurai, most of the plot is actually in flashback form to explain how these two samurai got to the duel in the first place.

It is extremely NSFW and not just for gore. Fair warning.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32619 on: April 20, 2022, 09:35:48 pm »

I’ve watched Shigurui a couple of times, I really enjoy it. Tried looking out the manga a few times, but I only go to one book shop that sells manga heh.

I also should rather have thought about Fist of the North Star. My brother had the first film when I was young, and I watched that in secret ‘cause I was probably a little too young for it at the time heh. I watched some of the series but I don’t think I was willing to commit to it with my setup at the time, watching it at my computer. Apparently it’s on Crunchy Roll, so that makes it easier to get into now.

The Professional is another one I really liked, though the sequel to that is a little bit too bananas. I think that was one of the first animes with CGI bits in it, even if they look super hokey by today’s standards. I do have the anime series somewhere, but I haven’t watched it for some reason.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, lots of things to keep me occupied here it seems.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32620 on: April 21, 2022, 03:36:12 am »

Oh yeah, I felt that I was forgetting one recommendation: Devilman Crybaby. That was one that I was genuinely kinda unnerved by.

And of course I can't recommend Devilman Crybaby without also recommending Parasyte The Maxim.

And two others: Dororo and Speed Grapher. I don't hear them talked about very much but I really liked them both.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:39:20 am by JoshuaFH »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32621 on: April 26, 2022, 11:41:13 am »

I'd second Devilman, not even for the gore but for the sheer overwhelming stylishness of the show, like, you see a frame taken from it and you instantly know what you're looking at. Plus the music is dang good.

As for stuff I'd also recommend, there's Basilisk, which is sort of a medieval Japan take on Romeo&Juliet, except the two clans are super powered ninjas with weird abilities. I don't remember it being too explicitly gorey but there's some pretty nasty stuff that goes down (including, but not limited to, attempted rape going VERY poorly for the would-be rapist). Plus it's fairly short iirc, under 20-ish episodes.

Also, speaking of brutal stuff, I've recently (as in, it arrived today) gotten myself a big chunky edition of Berserk since it's such an influential work so I'd wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Gotta say, as someone who's not the biggest fan of the manga format, this one is pretty good. Quick, punchy, brutal. I'm just worried what I'm gonna do about the space if I end up getting the rest of the editions, since there's 10 of the bloody things and each is a hefty hefty piece of hardcover book :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32622 on: April 26, 2022, 12:04:07 pm »

If you want to read berzerk, I recommend checking the library first. It honestly surprised me a lot when I first heard that libraries could carry manga.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32623 on: April 26, 2022, 01:15:08 pm »

Not just carry, a lot of us participate in interlibrary loan systems, so if there's something you're after that's not on the shelves, we can get it in from somewhere else. Might take a bit to show up, but it's pretty likely to show up eventually.

I haven't called in manga, yet, but I did get in an old TMNT comic book a bit back, and I've occasionally scoped out what's available (basically everything particularly well known is available, and what isn't can be requested from outside our immediate system if it comes to it). Between the entire library systems of significant chunks of the planet, odds are good somethin' can be arranged :P

One secret to library collections, though: They tend to grow based on what people are using. Much easier to read circulation data than patron's minds. The more you check out and request manga, the more they're probably going to carry. Hint hint, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32624 on: April 26, 2022, 02:22:18 pm »

Unrelated to gore, I've started reading a manga called Kingdom. Half of it is basically standard shonen, but there's enough politics and character wrangling to make it interesting beyond what the main dude's gonna punch. It's also just really well done.

The starting scenario is two orphans want to become great generals in ancient China. Then they get an opening, which quickly escalates.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 2191