Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2175 2176 [2177] 2178 2179 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2799366 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32640 on: July 07, 2022, 08:25:30 am »

The much anticipated Season 4 of Overlord has finally arrived. I quite enjoyed the first episode of the season, the writing and dialogue are absolutely a cut above the average light-novel-turn-anime.
Finally

I hope they feature the archer girl. Her resting angry face has been the story of my life. The sheer amount of times people have asked me why I was furious at them or told me I seem judgemental when I'm literally just thinking about how much yoghurt to put on my oats but my eyebrows are fiercer than a war god's

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #32641 on: July 07, 2022, 09:07:16 am »

The Yu-Gi-Oh creator was found dead in the sea.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32642 on: July 07, 2022, 09:20:18 am »

RIP big man

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32643 on: July 07, 2022, 01:29:45 pm »

On the subject of much beloved animes getting new seasons after long delays, Made in Abyss season 2 also just started airing!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32645 on: July 08, 2022, 04:06:38 am »

On the subject of much beloved animes getting new seasons after long delays, Made in Abyss season 2 also just started airing!
Oh damn, I love this thread. I was waiting for Overlord and MiA

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32646 on: July 16, 2022, 07:06:21 am »

I wonder if you guys ever watch an anime that while still is by default slice-of-life type anime, a fair amount of it's appeal content are music.

Been watching Hibike! Euphoneum

Which is probably a cop-out answer.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32647 on: July 18, 2022, 07:01:59 pm »

Been watching Hibike! Euphoneum

Which is probably a cop-out answer.

Oh damn, me too! It's honestly pretty good, as... basically a character-focused sports anime about competitive music? Makes me kinda nostalgic for my orchestra years. And I was not expecting it to be so gay, so suddenly, but dang.

Been getting into Josei manga again lately, and particularly enjoying Ikoku Nikki. Has anyone else read it? There's a solid translation up on DynastyScans, and Oof. It's hitting me directly in the "I know I want to be a parent, but damn I've got some trauma that I can't pass on to my hypothetical kids" feelings.

Basic gist is an estranged aunt adopts her niece after [bad stuff happens]... and it's about them navigating their different ways of life, their complicated relationship with the family and related trauma, and so on. It's also just really beautiful, understated, quietly funny, and bittersweet? And the aunt serves some queer complex-relationship-to-gender vibes, which I appreciate. Definitely a new favorite.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32648 on: July 19, 2022, 04:18:34 pm »

Overlord S4E4 is out and it's finally reached one of my all time favourite parts in the LN, where we get back to everyone's favourite roman emperor dying of stress because Ainz is the master of comedic timing

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32649 on: July 24, 2022, 07:58:16 am »

Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Had a great time reading it, though I gotta say I had some troubles with some later chapters for not making it clear who was speaking. I wonder if it is a translation issue with the character's voices are more varied in Japanese, or if it is me having to get used to Josei manga and more floaty bubbles? Or a combination of both? In either case I really enjoy getting away from the constant perspective of the Japanese kid/salary man, which seems to engender Shounen/Seinen manga. Even as I enjoy those demographics, having stories with emotions and adults in some less idealized way, is something I feel I need. Uh, maybe I read the wrong non-Josei manga. 

Have you read This Corner of the World, by Fumiyo Kōno? This is me trying to give a Josei manga recommendation in return, without saying the obvious Pink or Helter Skelter since I imagine the chances of you having read them is much higher.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32650 on: July 24, 2022, 03:18:41 pm »

Have you read This Corner of the World, by Fumiyo Kōno?

I've read the film, gotta say it's really excellent. Forces your perspective into that of the Japanese peasant main characters. I should probably give it another watch.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32651 on: August 01, 2022, 03:00:47 pm »

You know, I finally decided to bite the bullet and actually read a light novel. I'm just so curious as to what was happening in the source material of Overlord that I started reading. I'm only through 5 chapters so far, but it's actually pretty enjoyable. Though I'm probably able to enjoy it more because I can visualize the characters from the anime as I'm going through it.

Gotta say, I do like the added detail given to the world and Momonga's history that didn't even get the briefest mention in the anime.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32652 on: August 04, 2022, 09:20:01 pm »

Yeah, I did that with ascendance of a bookworm, and next thing I know I've just gone through 15 of them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32653 on: August 04, 2022, 09:35:57 pm »

yeah, i'm not saying it's necessarily true you find novelupdates or something and suddenly all the L/WNs, but I'm not saying it's not true, either. These things are pretty popular among their fan bases for a reason, similar to the old penny dreadfuls or novellas that were among the major forms of popular literature for decades (and hell, some of those things included some of the earlier examples of isekai, so... history doesn't repeat, but it does rhyme, and all that).

Even the really schlocky ones are remarkably readable a lot of the time -- and when they're not, any particular one of them tends to be short, so there's not nearly as much of a "must finish" barrier between finding something you don't like and feeling entirely okay for dropping the series and moving on.

... personally, they (and stuff largely formatted like them) are just part of my regular reading unceasing gluttonous rampage diet, these days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32654 on: August 09, 2022, 09:08:33 am »

Isekai Ojisan is an excellent little comedy that's caught my attention. The titular Ojisan was hit by a truck, put into a coma, and he was transported to another world for 17 years. He's back however, and he still has his Isekai magical powers, and he regales his adventure in the other world where he had awesome power and a suite of seemingly cool isekai tropes to enjoy, but he squandered it all by being a lame loser that can't interact with other people normally to save his life.

The first thing he wants to do upon waking up from his coma is to inquire how SEGA is doing, and to play oldschool videogames, as apparently his fanboyism hasn't died down at all in 17 years of living an actual life as a fantasy hero.

It's just a very enjoyable show so far, I recommend it.
Pages: 1 ... 2175 2176 [2177] 2178 2179 ... 2191