Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2795935 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32655 on: September 02, 2022, 04:09:15 pm »

I'm enjoying watching Dragonball Super a lot more than I thought I would. In some ways it feels like they're finishing the second half of the story.

It's a major tonal shift and the first two arcs of the show are ass. If you want to watch it, you should probably watch the Beerus movie instead of the first arc. I'm 50-50 on Golden Frieza; I think there was a lot of good stuff in that arc and the peaks were worth dealing with some dragged-out sections, but if you're not feeling especially patient, I would just replace both arcs with movies. The rest of it seems pretty damned good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32656 on: September 09, 2022, 01:49:30 am »

So, eh, if the latest chapter of Baki is to be believed... Keisuke Itagaki, the author of Baki, has finally decided to put Baki on a hiatus... so he can start work on a brand new story... called... "Chin Chin Man"...

aka, "Penis Man", a superhero story about a man who's obsessed with his own penis, maybe also possessing super penis powers. I'm not even making this shit up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32657 on: September 09, 2022, 03:18:12 am »

Dillerman returns!
Love, scriver~

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32658 on: September 09, 2022, 05:12:16 am »

I've been watching Komi Can't Communicate (just finished the first season) and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. This might be the first slice of life anime I've watched, and it's a bit like chocolate cake: a nice treat, but you wouldn't want to have it for every meal.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32659 on: September 12, 2022, 06:09:35 pm »

The DBS manga is actually pretty good. People complaining a ton about it should remember how the Red Ribbon and first Budoukai arcs were... just being pretty funny with some action and interesting things happening is definitely good enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32660 on: September 12, 2022, 06:44:14 pm »

The latest update for Holocure was released recently. Goddamn is it such a good fangame, and completely for free. It's a very different beast from Vampire Survivors, you cannot zonk out in the middle of a run, you gotta be paying attention all the time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32661 on: October 01, 2022, 08:03:37 am »

So, eh, ...:

https://kotaku.com/suzume-makoto-shinkai-anime-trailer-release-your-name-1849598161

Ol' Makoto Shinkai is at it again, this time with a movie that features a boy turned into a living chair.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32662 on: October 01, 2022, 09:26:08 am »

I saw a parody trailer of that, with an intentionally awful voiceover. It took me until halfway through to realize that no way can a medium-sized youtube channel animate a chair of that quality. The chair really was in the original trailer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32663 on: October 01, 2022, 01:41:33 pm »

I'll be honest: I used to be impressed with him and have changed that opinion.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32664 on: October 05, 2022, 10:03:38 pm »

I have honest to god no clue what is happening to the Baki scanlators. They're inserting stupid shit into the manga, and nobody is even bothering to screen it out or replace it. What I had mentioned about "Chin Chin Man" was all fake, and I got duped cause it had the Itagaki style I know and love, but the images were taken from another Itagaki manga and purposefully rearranged and given an entirely different script, as someone's idea of a stupid joke.

And even the latest official Baki chapters are not translated correctly, and the 'translators' are just adding in whatever stupid shit they want. I'm honestly pissed off, it's my favorite manga, and I'd think that Baki is well-loved enough to not get abused like that. It's at the point where if I want to be 100% sure that what I'm reading is the actual story, I'd have to learn to read Japanese and pick up the actual manga from somewhere.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32665 on: October 09, 2022, 07:22:20 pm »

HOLY SHIT Yowamushi Pedal is BACK! I thought it was forgotten and dead, but the latest season just dropped! Among the genre of Highschool Boys Doing Sports Good, YowaPedal is undoubtedly one of my favorites. I couldn't be more hyped.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32666 on: October 10, 2022, 02:49:38 am »

This fall season is shock-full of exciting releases. Chainsaw Man and Pop Team Epic! Plus more Golden Kamiy and Iruma-kun  (and apparently Yowamushi Pedal) for the sequel-watchers. Those are always fun.

Not to mention the Urusei Yatsura remake, it is bound to be something even if it turns out poorly. Did they ever remake the original Gundam series? The original Urusei Yatsura (both manga and anime) is on that level of influence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32667 on: October 10, 2022, 05:19:37 am »

Oh sweet new Iruma? I'm still yet to see Chainsaw Man. But I've just finished Akudama Drive and I'd give it a solid 10/10 recommend. The show is so damn stylish, starts off strong and ends meaningful. Really all you could ask for in a show. Plot is a fish out of water has to pretend to be a top-tier master criminal in order to survive, but you can only pretend for so long before the act becomes the real deal. A lot of characters start off as really memorable caricatures (e.g. muscle head is a muscle head, scummy guy is a scummy guy) but as the show progresses it fleshes out these caricatures into real characters with serious depth. It ends up getting the best of both worlds. Just make sure you get the uncesored version; the show has a lot of violence, but the censorship doesn't cover up the violence or blood, it just adds blurring bars over scenes that seriously interrupt the flow of fight choreography, whilst still showing all the violence. I also think it's seriously self-defeating to censor violence to make violent scenes MORE accessible to younger audiences, but hey, I don't run the censors.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32668 on: October 15, 2022, 10:36:35 pm »

The new Gundam is super promising. I thought the prologue was very moving.
Max avatar size is 80x80

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32669 on: October 15, 2022, 10:59:52 pm »

Yesh, just so much good shit, I'm overwhelmed. New Mob, Boku no Hero, more Spy X Family, I'm just as happy as a weeaboo clam. I also would like to extol how awesome Golden Kamuy is again.

I'm still waiting for Isekai Ojisan to resume, so technically that's still ongoing as well!
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 2191