Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2184 2185 [2186] 2187 2188 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804667 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32775 on: August 03, 2023, 12:18:01 pm »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32776 on: August 04, 2023, 06:18:28 am »

I've been finding that really good opening songs are a good indicator that the anime will be good too. So does anyone have some non-omnipresent (Naruto, One Piece, etc.) gems with great openings to share?

I'll throw in "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32777 on: August 04, 2023, 07:06:17 am »

Baccano! has a great opening song, and is an excellent series.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32778 on: August 04, 2023, 07:21:03 am »

yes

GAAH FU smartphone  marking stuff is so incredibly bad, allways have to unmark, mark only one word then itll mark all and on the forum side you have to type out the whole bbc code and still be bothered to manage that godawful cursor because cant select and then click icon because stupid menubar hides icons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Of0_jWD317U
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 07:24:25 am by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32779 on: August 19, 2023, 03:25:44 am »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32780 on: August 19, 2023, 11:39:36 am »

I haven't dropped in this thread for years but happy it's still here cause this season is slow! My recommendations/watch-list right now are:
  • Bungo Stray Dogs (S5): I only got into this a couple of seasons ago because none of the teaser descriptions really give it justice. It follows a group of young adults who form a "detective agency" to keep the city safe from the mafia, and slowly escalates from a mystery show to flat-out supernatural warfare (the United Nations played a pivotal role in a recent subplot). My favorite bit of flavor is that most of the characters (and their talent) are named after famous authors and their works. I picked up one book to read already. Everyone is ridiculously overpowered to the point that nobody is.
  • Sugar Apple Fairy Tale (S2): Fantasy Shoujo about a girl in love with an elf. It's pretty, usually ends on a positive note, but has enough plot that it's interesting and not too trite.
  • MASHLE (Magic Muscles) & Reign of the Seven Spellblades: There are so many anime takes on Harry Potter right now and both of these do it better.
  • ZOM100 Bucket List of the Dead: SO HYPED for the EMOTIONALLY CHARGED High School of the Dead S2 that we always deserved.
  • Link Click (S2): This is a donghua but it's fantastic, mystery and time travel all rolled into one.
  • The Gene of AI: Sci-fi "what-if" about sentient life, about a transhumanist doctor helping local neighborhood cyborgs on the daily.
  • And if you didn't buy into the Chainsaw Man hype yet, S1 was stellar and the Manga gets updates every few weeks and is still fire. Cannot wait for them to animate the next arc.

Baccano! has a great opening song, and is an excellent series.

Baccano! is one of my all-time favorite anime, it's got such a vibe, it's a self-contained story instead of ending 5 seasons on a cliffhanger, and the opening is so snappy.

Undead Murder Farce is turning out to be pretty interesting so far. MC is a severed head who basically tours around europe with her stooge solving Sherlock Holmes murder mysteries if they were about gothic monsters

This one is 10/10 so far, the first three episodes are an arc so it's easy to get into. There seems to be a bigger plot starting up the last episode, though.

So apparently Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is getting a long awaited remake/sequel?!

https://youtu.be/G-T6sA_EGXM

I never expected P&S w/ G to ever get anything ever again. It just had one of those Gainax endings that was a legendary final meta joke of how Gainax properties never get proper endings.

My friend and I are hyped for this. Personally I'm praying for a D City Rock remake, or at least a cameo.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32781 on: August 19, 2023, 05:37:32 pm »

Seconding the chainsaw man recommendation. It's been a while since I've last seen an anime that measure up to classic anime of the 2000s. It's a show that will definitely be remembered.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32782 on: August 24, 2023, 08:03:17 am »

MASHLE was pretty fun. Surprised to see Helck get released this year - similar in the vein of MASHLE in having an overmuscled protagonist but Helck is just something special. Comedy and drama in good balance

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32783 on: September 12, 2023, 03:15:37 am »

There's just something so viscerally satisfying about brute force bludgeoning through a setting's magic system. The comedy was pretty alright, and the fact that the protagonist's not AS hilariously overpowered as Saitama from One Punch Man is nice.

Mash is absurdly strong, but he takes longer and has more spectacle with how he wins. Winning quickly like Saitama isn't part of the comedy, except for really minor characters.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32784 on: September 24, 2023, 07:21:48 pm »

Bungo Stray Dogs (S5): I only got into this a couple of seasons ago because none of the teaser descriptions really give it justice. It follows a group of young adults who form a "detective agency" to keep the city safe from the mafia, and slowly escalates from a mystery show to flat-out supernatural warfare (the United Nations played a pivotal role in a recent subplot). My favorite bit of flavor is that most of the characters (and their talent) are named after famous authors and their works. I picked up one book to read already. Everyone is ridiculously overpowered to the point that nobody is.

I decided to give this a shot since you made it sound decent. I'm only one season in so far, and maybe it gets better down the line, but right now it seems pretty terrible.

First of all, we seem to have reached a point in anime where warring factions populated by superpowered individuals simply spring forth from the ether with no background or even the faintest explanation, and absolutely nobody questions it.

I might be able to overlook the lack of explanation if it at least led to some interesting superpower matchups, but instead we see every conflict resolved by simple overwhelming martial prowess, even when the seemingly endless hordes of faceless thugs with military grade assault weapons are involved. And of course the martial prowess that every key figure possesses is just as unexplained as the rest.

Also, at no point has this show made any reference to 'Stray Dogs' or 'Bungo'.

Edit:
Finished the second season. Overall a bit better than the first...but it was a mixed bag.
The first 4 episodes were one long flashback, telling a bit of backstory for one character. The backstory completely failed to answer any of the most pressing questions about him. Also the whole 4 episodes were told in incredibly melodramatic fashion, which was almost unbearably tedious.

After that we did get one interesting power mashup, followed by a clash where everyone just went super-saiyajin and traded blows until the good guys won through the power of teamwork. Then everything wrapped up with a little bit of genuinely interesting exposition, explaining just a few of the many unanswered questions I have about this show.

Second season was a small step in the right direction.

Edit 2:
Third season had much better pacing. Completely abandoned many elements that held the earlier seasons back, and managed to hold my interest throughout.

Fourth season introduced a compelling new antagonist, and Fifth season dialed that antagonist up to 11, bringing the arc to a fairly impressive conclusion. Now I'm definitely glad that I stuck with this one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:13:02 am by Folly »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32785 on: September 28, 2023, 06:06:05 pm »

Hahaha, finally got around to watching Evil Tanya and one of the antagonists is literally called Mary Sue. Those cheeky writers. Naturally Mary Sue is overpowered as hell

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32786 on: October 09, 2023, 06:16:09 am »

Watched the first three episodes of Mob Psycho 100, really enjoying the dub. As far as I'm aware the anime's actually adapted the whole story? If that's the case I'll look forward to finishing it, all of my favourite current animes have unfinished source material.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32787 on: October 09, 2023, 06:30:08 am »

It's great. I watched seasons 1 and 2 voraciously. Season 3 is good and wraps up the story, I think.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32788 on: October 18, 2023, 05:35:22 pm »

Figured I'd toss this in as I think I saw them getting an anime mentioned while I was powering through the whole series:
Undead Unluck is a lot of fun.

Also not an anime but VERY anime adjacent: the netflix One Piece is FUCKING INCREDIBLE, I was sitting there pulling up manga panels and showing them to the missus while we watched and basically just primed her to note that if you see an unusual looking clothing pattern or background object, it's generally directly out of the manga/anime.

The cast is all fantastic, I loved the little nods they had like Zoro coming across Luffy and after hearing Luffy say he thought he came to find him he's like "I thought I was heading back towards the house" or the way Buggy starts out seeming like a real threat and then *wah-wahhhh* or the ship designs or the way Garp keeps calling Koby "son" or... *keeps going for 20 minutes*
This is not a signature.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32789 on: October 19, 2023, 07:05:12 pm »

I've started watching Demon Slayer.

Good stuff!

The mix of sobriety and... cartoon madness works surprisingly well.
Pages: 1 ... 2184 2185 [2186] 2187 2188 ... 2191