Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804458 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32820 on: January 05, 2024, 12:59:25 pm »

Watched the first episode of "Delicious in Dungeon".

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how the story unfolds. The setting seems a bit generic but I dig the relaxed atmosphere and the "fantasy adventure meets cooking show" vibes. My only gripe so far is that in just that episode, one of the main characters already went twice through an "I AIN"T EATING THAT!11!!!1! - THAT'S DELICIOUS!!11!" cycle while screaming on top of her lungs.  I really hope they drop that in the next episodes. Otherwise, I'm mildly optimistic about the show.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32821 on: January 05, 2024, 04:24:48 pm »

Least so far as the manga goes, elfy doesn't really drop the shtick, no. Not so far as I've read. She's at least consistently conflicted about how good everything tastes in comparison to its sources, which is something.

No clue how the anime handles it, though... I never really got the impression of her being particularly screamy about it, in most cases, just very not comfortable/disgusted/etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32822 on: January 06, 2024, 06:40:58 am »

She's quite screamy about it as well in the manga, especially in the early parts, but screaming doesn't carry the same in a purely visual medium as in one with sound. Probably way easier to get annoyed by it if you need to hear it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32823 on: January 09, 2024, 11:09:31 pm »

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is probably the best fantasy based anime I've seen in ages.

Since it's ongoing it's got the usual caveat of "it could drop the ball later" but every episode is something I really look forward to.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32824 on: January 10, 2024, 09:59:58 am »

Least so far as the manga goes, elfy doesn't really drop the shtick, no. Not so far as I've read. She's at least consistently conflicted about how good everything tastes in comparison to its sources, which is something.

No clue how the anime handles it, though... I never really got the impression of her being particularly screamy about it, in most cases, just very not comfortable/disgusted/etc.

She's quite screamy about it as well in the manga, especially in the early parts, but screaming doesn't carry the same in a purely visual medium as in one with sound. Probably way easier to get annoyed by it if you need to hear it.

To be honest it's mostly that her screaming is very much in contrast with how relaxed everything else is (so far) and more importantly (to me at least) that I just dislike the trope/stock character of the screaming comic relief.

So.. any suggestions about anime without such characters are welcome :D

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32825 on: January 10, 2024, 10:22:07 am »

Dislike bit is fair, but dungeon meshi is... well, at least the manga is legit kinda' dark? It's fairly chill about things but the basic starting quest going on is trying to save someone that's in the process of being digested, and more than one thing they encounter are active people eaters and/or kinda' terrifying. Unless the anime tones it down, the series is actually pretty unrelaxed, it's just fairly subtle about it. Decent amount of fridge horror, basically. Some of what's going on with Marcille being as high strung as she is is because they're going through some pretty damn stressful stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #32826 on: January 10, 2024, 11:04:28 pm »

I finished watching the Nier Automata anime. Having previously played the game, this was largely what I expected.

Notably, the anime really failed to convey much of the gorgeous atmosphere from the game. The lengthy soundtracks each only got to play a minute or so, and the sweeping landscapes only got shown in small part. This is a setting which really needs to be experienced in full and at leisure to be properly appreciated.

We got a brief look at the Rebels fighting the machine army, but that was the only thing in the show that I don't believe was in the game. The rest was pretty much an abridged recap of just the major plot points of the game.

I was surprised to learn that a second season is in the works, which appears to continue the story beyond what happened in the game. I'm certainly eager to see where the story goes, but hope that it gets composed more elegantly than the first season.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32827 on: January 11, 2024, 04:06:35 pm »

Does anyone know why English subs wouldn't actually match what they are saying in Japanese?

Specifically where I can hear them say English words, like "Weather Report" but the caption says "Weather Forecast"?  Note this is a character's name, not an actual weather report, so changing it to forecast doesn't make sense...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32828 on: January 12, 2024, 09:23:15 am »

Does anyone know why English subs wouldn't actually match what they are saying in Japanese?

Specifically where I can hear them say English words, like "Weather Report" but the caption says "Weather Forecast"?  Note this is a character's name, not an actual weather report, so changing it to forecast doesn't make sense...
Localisers are bastards who have been caught changing stuff for no reason, personal whims or personal agendas

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32829 on: January 12, 2024, 09:27:53 am »

Sometimes they might just not know any better. There are some infamous scenes from some decades ago where localisers translated bat (the baseball club) as bat (the animal) or Roger (name) as roger (roger/copy that). 

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32830 on: January 12, 2024, 01:25:48 pm »

As far as lighthearted and whatnot, the series directly references The Thing later on, it's not as gory/gruesome/soulcrushing as Attack on Titan or Vinland Saga but ultimately I fell in love with the series because it hit my "Adventurer Mode all the things" vibe back in the day in such a cozy way.
This is not a signature.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #32831 on: January 12, 2024, 06:04:26 pm »

Re: Jojo, I hear it has to do with copyright laws. Basically they can safely use band/song names as characters and stands in Japan, but in the US they could sometimes get in trouble for it (see: the stand "Metallica"). So instead of playing it risky with who would get copyright claimed or not, they make a game of renaming all those characters, if only in subs (and dubs and manga texts, etc.). Weather Report in this case is like the jazz fusion band.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #32832 on: January 12, 2024, 06:13:03 pm »

On that topic, what was up with changing of large amount of names in FE: Fates? Some are at least understandable (Kuzukaze is quite a mouthful), others not so much (Yugiri is a japanese name, Reina is another japanase name  ??? ).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32833 on: January 16, 2024, 11:43:18 am »

oh hey dungeon meshi got an anime

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32834 on: January 16, 2024, 05:30:58 pm »

It did and it's fun! Are there two or three eps out now?
This is not a signature.
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191