Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2804839 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7680 on: June 02, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »

Just what does "HSOTD" stand for anyway?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: June 02, 2011, 03:13:18 pm »

Just what does "HSOTD" stand for anyway?
Highschool of the Dead.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: June 02, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

Bought at the mall the other day
-core drill-

Mind if I ask you what store you got that from? (If it isn't anything local..)

Also is episode 6 of HSOD the one that is pretty much entirely the people taking baths? Bleh poor HSOD could just remove 90% of that and be 10 times better.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: June 02, 2011, 04:18:46 pm »

Also is episode 6 of HSOD the one that is pretty much entirely the people taking baths? Bleh poor HSOD could just remove 90% of that and be 10 times better.

Like... in a fanservice kind of way?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: June 02, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »

So I watched K-ON! to find out, what the ruckus was all about.
At first glance it looks like some shallow moe anime to me.
So anybody else watched it?

Also, I'd like to get into visual novels at some point.
Where is a good place to get some translated ones? Where do I start?

Oh god.

Aapparently there's also a bag-meme circulating around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man, I wish I'd knew the source...

Edit:
I was wrong, about that scene before.
It happened before the ship-stuff.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:18:52 pm by Mindmaker »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: June 02, 2011, 06:01:39 pm »

Like... in a fanservice kind of way?
Mostly.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

So I watched K-ON! to find out, what the ruckus was all about.
At first glance it looks like some shallow moe anime to me.
So anybody else watched it?

Also, I'd like to get into visual novels at some point.
Where is a good place to get some translated ones? Where do I start?
K-ON! is a shallow moe anime. It digs about as deep as most other high-school slice-of-life shows, which is about two inches deep. Lots of gear-wanking too.

Watch K-ON season two. Lightyears better than season one, the characters are better, the jokes are much better, the songs are still... yeah, but it's a very solid slice-of-life, and is much more relatable than the first season. There's still goofy season-one-esque episodes here and there, but season two is overall enjoyable.

You might not like it though, in the end, it's still a shallow moe anime, even if it is better than season one. I liked it though.

A good start for VNs is probably Planetarian. It's quite short, but there's no choices to make or anything, it's just all reading.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:12:48 am by Patchouli »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: June 02, 2011, 07:15:15 pm »

Watch K-ON season two. Lightyears better than season one, the characters are better, the jokes are much better, the songs are still... yeah, but it's a very solid slice-of-life, and is much more relatable than the first season. There's still goofy season-one-esque episodes here and there, but season two is overall enjoyable.
Well, they are Highschool girls powered by sweet junk...so I guess it's "realistic" enough that their songs are...fluffy...happy...stuff. Just watch it when you have some time and feel like watching something light, no over thinking needed.

A good start for VNs is probably Planetarian. It's quite short, but there's no choices to make or anything, it's just all reading.
I second this...it's a short yet sweet tale.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: June 02, 2011, 07:36:16 pm »

VNs you say?  Well I think I might have a few suggestions.

Visual Novels I have Played
Ace Attorney - a series of five games (six in Japan) that follow the adventures of Phoenix Wright & Co in their court room dramas and investigations as he and others yell and point fingers.  The first three games focus on Phoenix Wright, the fourth game focuses on a new attorney, Apollo Justice, and the fifth and sixth game focus on Miles Edgeworth.  It you be in your best interest to plays the games in the correct order unless you like fucking yourself with spoilers since a lot of things are connected and the writing definitely gets better as the series goes on.  Play all of these on a DS emulator or if you're too morally straight for that buy them from amazon or something because the games themselves are pretty hard to get (especially the 2nd and 3rd one).  They are really awesome though and if you can't see I'm using an Ace Attorney avatar currently.

Will probably take you two or three weeks to finish.  May differ depending on how fast you play them through.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagull's Cry) - a series of eight games that involve the mystery of the Ushiromiya's and the Rokkenjima island.  It's a very awesome series that should be played.  The only thing is the art is not the best however everything else is really cool like the music and writing.  I can say right now the genre is a murder mystery so people will be dying (like in Ace Attorney).  This series was purposely made to be similar to And Then There Were None which you have probably heard of if not read before.  It's a pretty famous mystery book.  Anyway, I can't really say anything else without spoiling but you should definitely read this series if you want to try VNs.  Witch Hunt are a fan translation group who are pretty much done translating the series, by the time you read through this they'll be done with everything.  Has a lot of pointing and yelling like Ace Attorney except in a different way.  The one problem is it might be complicated to buy these games unless you do a digital purchase or torrent them depending on what your prefer.  You should download the first episode for free since they give the whole first game for free just for you to try it out.  If you don't like it then you can just go off and do something else.

Took me a little over a month to catch up with and will probably take you at least three weeks to do.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When the Cicada's Cry) - a series of eight games again since this is what the 07th Expansion did before making Umineko.  I admit I like Umineko more however Higurashi has good qualities as well.  Involves the village Hinamizawa and the mysterious within.  Much more creepy then Umineko in a more disturbing way, but still has the mysterious to be solved!  I'm only on game 6 right now but so far it has definitely been enjoyable.  You should check it out if you thought Umineko was cool.  Mangagamers are the ones who translated it however they are a fan translation so you're definitely going to have to pay money unless you pirate.  Their translations have a lot of typos but they get better as they go along.

I would estimate it's going to be a little shorter than Umineko however I can't judge fairly because unlike Ace Attorney or Umineko I'm not finished with this one.

I have one more recommendation for a game I haven't even touched yet, Ever17.  Even though I know nothing about it I only hear good things about it, so try Ever17 if you'd like.  All of the games I have listed are not eroges as well, which is always nice.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: June 02, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »

If you're going to try Ever17, you might consider doing 999 also. It's shorter, and it has escape-the-room type gameplay. It's a DS game. The "other" routes are also less boring.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:10:21 pm by Patchouli »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »

Yeah the Ever17 did 999 as well.  There also a bunch of other games like Never7 or stuff like that.  All of which I haven't had the chance to play yet.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: June 03, 2011, 02:38:58 am »

You should consider trying 999 at least, ToonyMan, I think you'd like it a lot.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:27 am »

Oh hey, people are talking about VNs here now? I just finished my playthrough of Deus Machina Demonbane. Pretty sweet game. It combines the Lovecraft mythos with giant robots, and adds a dash of japan. This amounts to the Necronomicon being a little girl, which you can have sex with. But that's not the main appeal! The main appeal is the story, which is frequently awesome and filled with some memorable characters(y no Elsa rouet? ;_;).

Spoiler: Not actually a spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: June 03, 2011, 02:57:22 am »

The thing I like the most about the Demonbane is that it can pop the universe just by existing.

Not that it happens in the VN afaik.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: June 03, 2011, 03:23:21 am »

Hmm and where do you get those?
Simply from Amazon?

J-List seems to sell that stuff too.
But their categorization and descriptions are a bit lacking.
You have to scroll through loads and loads of h-games (assuming the cover speaks for the game) to find a single innocent visual novel.
Well it's probably the same everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 03:01:00 pm by Mindmaker »
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 2191